Old 19 April 2016, 20:30   #1

Town: Thornaby
Boat name: Storm
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 150
is it a Scam or not ?

Well, ive had a right chew selling me boat on ebay, and it has finally gone (at least I think it has) for half the amount it started off at.

It was won by a bloke who is Polish, and actually lives in Poland, however as he thinks its a brilliant deal he is going to travel 4000km to come and pick it up..........

When I found out that he lived some distance away I insisted that I had a £250 deposit through paypal, he then went quite for abit, and to my surprise i then got a notification that he had deposited the £250 into my account, thank-you very much.

In broken tongue he has asked a few questions and is getting the ferry from Calais early Thursday morning to pick it up...... most questions I ask I get a good answer in return.

I then asked him to transfer the money electronically when he sees the boat as i think it will be safer for us both he then took a couple of hours to come back to me and he did agree, but had mentioned that he had already got the cash out and would go to the bank with me to deposit in my account...

am I been paranoid here, ????
Old 19 April 2016, 20:37   #2

Town: Torbay
Boat name: Dont Panic
Make: Zodiac YL 480 DL
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 75
Maybe a little. If he turns up, take him to your bank, and let him pay it into your account, and make it clear to the teller, what it is for. I am sure they will pick up on any fake money straight away, but if legit, cash will clear in your account instantly.

Also with cash straight into your account, there is none of this 'opening a dispute, as I have not received my goods' business that can occur with paypal
Old 19 April 2016, 20:42   #3

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
That is what I have done on the last two boats take cash to the bank they clear it in your account job done.
Old 19 April 2016, 20:42   #4

so do you think he could pay via paypal, take the boat and get his money back ? I wouldn't want to pay through that due to the percentage they take.

cheers
Old 19 April 2016, 20:45   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
That is what I have done on the last two boats take cash to the bank they clear it in your account job done.
I take it you took the buyer with you, its just because hes coming from so far away i'm concerned lol
Old 19 April 2016, 20:55   #6

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueboy758 View Post
I take it you took the buyer with you, its just because hes coming from so far away i'm concerned lol
Wife took cash down to the bank while I showed him the boat kept trailer locked up just in case of a runner didn't beat about the bush told him that was the deal turns out both buyers were spot on and understood. I did have a guy try to buy from France but his English better than my French so no deal plus they have to register trailers could have been a pain but all ended well sold to a guy in Scotland on the last one.

Hope the deal goes well just be careful it's hard earned dosh and it's yours

Cheers
Old 19 April 2016, 20:58   #7

yeah, its abit of a nightmare hopefully all will be good.

Thanks for the advice gents
Old 19 April 2016, 21:10   #8

Town: Torbay
Boat name: Dont Panic
Make: Zodiac YL 480 DL
Engine: Mercury 75
Quote:
so do you think he could pay via paypal, take the boat and get his money back ? I wouldn't want to pay through that due to the percentage they take.

cheers
I have heard and read about this sort of scam, not to long ago. May even have read it on here.

Some bloke turns up to buy boat he transfers money, you give them the boat. Hour down the line, they take money back through dispute. Another bloke turns up saying he has come to buy boat, but it has gone............ some thing along them lines.

Like Jeff said, be upfront and honest, tell him how it is going to pan out. If he is genuine, he will understand.
Old 19 April 2016, 21:33   #9

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
eBay, what a mare I don't know why they are allowing oversea's bidders to buy items even more so recently. I've had a few items sold recently to oversea's buyers when I don't even offer postage outside of the UK. My only thought is that they are trying to promote their new postage hub?

I have just sold a prop, to someone abroad and his postage address is a postage depot in the uk???

I don't mind if you want to call me and have a chat about this, but maybe you should re advertise your boat? With every day it's getting warmer so more buyers out there
Old 19 April 2016, 21:34   #10
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Do not under any circumstances accept PayPal for this sort of transaction, apart from maybe a deposit as in this case.

If you pay the cash into your account before parting with the boat then I can't see any problem (although I suppose he could still screw you for the deposit).

People do travel a long way to buy things sometime. I had a guy fly over from Norway to pick up a Tinker Folding RIB and he took it back with him on the plane!
Old 19 April 2016, 21:36   #11

RIBase
My take on it is he's taking more risk than you and if he's bringing cash the bank takes it on and prove its legal. Your boat is all working and as far as your concerned it worked ok last time you took it out and it runs ok on muffs in front of him plus all the electronics etc what happens when it leaves you is out of your control as it would be if you took her out again and she broke down. On my deal he had a good look I ran the engines etc asked if we had a deal he agreed asked for the dosh wife took it down and while she did that I went into more detail and put a few bits and bobs in she then rang me when all ok. To be honest and I don't mind saying when it's my hard earned your guilty until proven inisant but if your up front I don't see anyone having a problem with it unless they are crooks
Old 19 April 2016, 22:21   #12

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Cash? Dollars? Euros? Sterling?

Find out times bank is open and check they are able to take that much cash over rather counter (sounds daft but depending on the branch bank they have some odd limits)
Old 19 April 2016, 22:29   #13

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
Cash? Dollars? Euros? Sterling?

Find out times bank is open and check they are able to take that much cash over rather counter (sounds daft but depending on the branch bank they have some odd limits)
I wouldn't even bother, just relist it or advertise elsewhere. Just tick the right ebay boxes to say you're canceling the sale and you'll get to full refund.

Just an observation but Barclays have a scanning machine that scans every note, not sure if it picks up fakes there and then though. I'm not sure if a bank can come back to you after they've banked the money either? Or can they?
Old 20 April 2016, 06:15   #14

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
why not just wait and if he turns up get him to do a bank transfer you can check if its gone into your account online .out of interest as I'm thinking of getting a bigger rib what is the rib and how much did it sell for .
Old 20 April 2016, 06:43   #15

Cash. And note the car number plate and take a nice ' friendly selfie' of you and him with the boat. Spin him some sh1te about you always do this with a boat as you have loads of pics of it in use and it completes the story for the family album and you know it's going to a good guy who will look after it. In reality you are getting a quality pic so if he is scammer someone has something to go on.
Old 20 April 2016, 06:48   #16
Administrator

Town: Brighton
I would be wary of an international bank transfer unless you can be 100% sure that it has been irrevocably cleared into your account. I've heard of cases where the transfer appears on your balance before it clears and can be reversed for something like 24 hours.
Old 20 April 2016, 07:25   #17

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
As some above I'd be happiest with cash that could be taken to my bank in working hours while the guy was with me.

I've had someone buy a car from me and sit in the dining room with his iPad to make an online bank to bank transfer... except it didn't show on my account. He got very itchy saying he'd paid and should be allowed to take the car. I had a very uncomfortable 45mins with the guy in my house arguing this out until the transfer eventually showed on my PC.

In another situation my uncle sold a BMW motorbike to a buyer from a distance away who was to pay cash on collection. This wasn't a total scam buy a very crafty buyer. On the collection morning he paid by Paypal and when he arrived said sorry "force of habit" and bullied my uncle into accepting the situation saying it was too complicated to reverse that and go to draw cash.

Several hours later when home with the bike (taken in a van) the buyer reported a fault that definitely didn't exist and said he wanted money off with the threat of Paypal getting all the money taken back and uncle having the bike to collect from 200mls away. After a week of unpleasant emails uncle paid him £200 as part way to repair this "fault"... but more to get the guy off his back.

So watch out for last minute arrangement switching.
Old 20 April 2016, 08:07   #18

Town: Lancs
Boat name: Beretta
Make: Ballistic
Engine: 175hp e-tec
MMSI: 235035778
RIBase
Good luck! Hope it works out well for you.

I had a very similar worry - I sold a car at the start of the year - put it on eBay and got my buy it now price, and then an email from a guy saying he will collect it a few days later and what is my nearest train station as he lived 300 miles away. I told him I would like to be paid by cash and he said he would be at the station at 12:00. I was left worrying, thinking he is never going to turn up, or will try and knock me down and I didn't take a deposit. Fair play to the guy he was at the station, picked him up and he paid me the cash, filled out the paperwork, and then he left - no problems at all! I still think for every transaction that goes as planned I bet more are scams!
https://www.facebook.com/rib.beretta/
SteveHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2016, 20:13   #19

thanks for the good luck guys, well a very well plan of an attack worked well.

boat sold, proper cash paid and off they went back on a massive drive home.

taking advice I took a few safety lines with me, to say the least.

During the first few minutes it was apparent that we were both thinking that we were both out to con each other.
after that we both settled, and all was good.

thanks to ALL your valuable advice, its a shame to say that the minority do spoil it for the majority

I hope I can still write this in a weeks time when I know they have returned home safely !

cheers guys
Old 21 April 2016, 20:26   #20
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
During the first few minutes it was apparent that we were both thinking that we were both out to con each other.
after that we both settled, and all was good.
This happens, it's just a shame it's not more often. When I sold the willkcraft I, the bloke gave me a cheque and told me to cash it. He said that he'd meet me in two weeks at a petrol station 100 miles away and I could hand over the willkcraft. This plan was adhered to and everyone went home happy.

Primo!