Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
This happens....
Had a lorry advertised a couple of years back. A Scottish semi-literate buffoon started messaging me. I ignored the first half a dozen messages as his English was so bad, I genuinely thought that it was an eastern European scammer. Rab C eventually got shirty, so I replied. The upshot being, he Paypal'd me a decent deposit. Weeks went by, the truck's MOT and tax were sliding away, no word from Rab. On messaging him, I was getting a constant stream of woeful tales, motorbike accident, beaten-up. Eventually I told him that I was going to trouser the depo and re-advertise the wagon if he didn't show in a week.

He messages back, collect me from Newquay airport on Friday. I rocks up as arranged, to spot Rab C's scruffier looking bro stood outside of arrivals.
Off we go to Chez Mollers, conversation was impossible as I couldn't understand a word that he came out with.
On a scant inspection of the truck he hands me a wad of mickey mouse money (Scottish notes) large enough to choke a donkey. Having never seen jock folding before in my life, I was far from convinced that it was any good. Rab jumps in the cab, he has no clue re. tachos/driver hours/operators license, he's only concerned about fuel. So I give him directions starting with, " out of the drive and TURN LEFT", I repeat as It's not sinking in. F'k it! I jumped in the L200 and headed for the bank at a lick, I reckoned if it was moody money, I could chase after him and grab the twat before he got too far. Into bank, the money was good.
I drove home happy and steady, as I swing into our place, Rab is coming towards me from the village direction (out of our's and RIGHT). I later heard that he'd jammed the village right up, trying to turn the thing around at school pick up time.
Old 21 April 2016, 21:50   #23
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Having never seen jock folding in my life, I was far from convinced that it was any good.
Yeah - the English seem to suffer from that a lot. They regard Northern Irish/Manx/C.I. folding with similar distain. Thing is - I've never encountered a duff Sterling note that wasn't "Bank of England" - maybe they only forge the good ones?

'nuff said...
Old 21 April 2016, 21:55   #24
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Yeah - the English seem to suffer from that a lot. They regard Northern Irish/Manx/C.I. folding with similar distain. Thing is - I've never encountered a duff Sterling note that wasn't "Bank of England" - maybe they only forge the good ones?

'nuff said...
In fairness, I watched Donegaldan get a similar look of mistrust with his ulster notes in scotland.

But just in case anyone thinks there are no dodgy Scottish notes: http://m.burytimes.co.uk/news/143893...court_in_Bury/

That said, probably best disposed of in a part of the country where they don't get strange looks to start with!
Old 21 April 2016, 21:57   #25

Quote:

'nuff said...
Being about as far from all of it as it's possible to get, not much makes it this far and the guy wasn't exactly filling me with confidence. I had to fill in a Tacho sheet and the change of owner slip for him.

Mrs M was genuinely wretching when he was in the kitchen.
Old 21 April 2016, 22:02   #26
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
In fairness, I watched Donegaldan get a similar look of mistrust with his ulster notes in scotland....
I'm gonna guess that was in the Oyster?

I've spent Northern Irish (!) notes throughout Scotland without issue, except when the recipient was, well, from south of the border...
Old 21 April 2016, 22:04   #27
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Mrs M was genuinely wretching when he was in the kitchen.
Aye, they're all a bit wincey before the transaction - but I bet she helped you spend the tartan cash though!
Old 21 April 2016, 22:10   #28

Quote:
Aye, they're all a bit wincey before the transaction - but I bet she helped you spend the tartan cash though!
Didn't see the going of it.
Old 22 April 2016, 06:22   #29

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:

'nuff said...
comes from the days when you only got nineteen shilling and sixpence for a Scottish pound
Old 22 April 2016, 09:45   #30

Town: West Bromwich
Boat name: Ellie V
Make: Excel Voyager 520
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 75 HP
MMSI: 235 908 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
comes from the days when you only got nineteen shilling and sixpence for a Scottish pound
Less than that now !!
steco1958 is offline   Reply With Quote