Old 16 September 2004, 20:16   #61

Town: Comber
Boat name: Gemini
Make: Tornado
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner 150 Optimax
MMSI: ?
It's all about strength vs weight Richard.
I didn't say it was required to hold the boat together, it merely supplements it. Personally I would have one for the aesthetics alone... and the wake boarding. (even if the tubes spoil the wake somewhat)
Old 16 September 2004, 20:17   #62

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Manos,

Am I right to assume you have now bought the Scorpion? If so, post pictures please!
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2004, 20:22   #63

Town: Milford Haven
Boat name: Various
Make: Commercial
Length: 10m +
Engine: Screw / Voith / Jets
Send a message via MSN to Alex Brown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles
'A' Frames look well hard.

RIBs just don't look like RIB's without them
Yup, I do tend to agree with you on that

However, the extra height from the a-frame I'm sure is better for radio reception - there's no way I could get both these aerials sensibly mounted from the console to this sort of height.... http://gallery.ribseadrive.co.uk/cru...rib2004_0905AI

Initially when I ordered my rib I only asked for a single a-frame thinking I'd just get 1 tiny aerial with the nav lights on it...... the extra couple of hundred quid for the double a-frame was certainly more than I had budgetted for, but it does serve a practical job as well as look good. I don't think I'd consider putting the blipper radar reflector on a single a-frame, and with the size of the aerials, it gave me more scope on the location as well. Thinking ahead, if I wanted to go down the radar route, I'd probably increase the height a small amount more and then I reckon it'd be suitably high enough.

On the health note - a good search on google comes up with some interesting responses.... one is on the hull truth and fishing forum
http://thehulltruth.net/forums/threa...=35678&start=1

-Alex
Old 16 September 2004, 20:22   #64

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwin
Personally I would have one for the aesthetics alone...
Must admit I would agree with that (as well as Louise's practical reason! )
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2004, 20:25   #65

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Louise I will have it formaly on Saturday and can't wait .

The boat is lying very near to my house here and I'm there every day of the week cleaning it and polishing it. Is the boat of a friend that he finds it a bit big for what he wanted to do, so I GRABED it and he got a smaller one!! and I'm happy.

I had posted some photos of the boat back in July when went out fir a day but here is one. I will take some new photos tomorrow and will post them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0005.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	8230  
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2004, 20:27   #66

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Congratulations! May you and your family have many happy hours cruising in her! And what good taste you have.
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2004, 20:32   #67

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Thanks Louise

Is a great boat (and I'm not saying this cause I've got one). The reason I think is great is that when you go to hit a wave head on you don't think OH MY GOD MY BACK WILL HURT you put the front down and it just goes through. Just like that.

What they say about the SCORPIONS is 100000000% correct. If any one gets on one will never forget the experience.
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2004, 22:59   #68

Town: Enfield, Co Meath
Boat name: no name
Make: Zodiac Pro
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 115
Send a message via AIM to lc0021 Send a message via MSN to lc0021 Send a message via Skype™ to lc0021
VHF waves dangerous ?

[QUOTE=chrisallse] (Quote) Marki just out of interest as the 1st time I hear this. Are VHF waves dangerous?? Can you expand on it please?

There's a running question for a long time now about the dangers of radio waves - most notably regarding mobile phones and their transmitters. Mobile phones operate at either 800 or 1800 MHz - and the phones are somewhere between 1 and 5 watts. The transmitters in the masts are somewhat higher - maybe 25 watts. The theory is that the higher frequencies are more dangerous - the marine VHF operates at somewhere between 150 and 170 MHz - but the radios are typically 25 watts at full power, so even though the frequency is lower - they are quite a bit more powerful than you mobile phone - and I doubt if it's a good idea to use the aerial as a piloow when the radio is in use!

I think the real situation is that nobody is prepared to say that radio waves are safe - especially when we know that Microwaves are used to cook food (and they are really just radio waves), prolonged exposure to XRays is harmful, etc...

I just noted that in the handbook that came with one of my VHF's - the first paragraph is entitled Note for RF Safety - and it has a large caution sign. It states that "the radio should not be continuously operated for long periods if anybody is within 6 meters of the antenna" and "not operated at all if any person is in contact with the antenna". It also states that in certain areas the radio may have to be set up so that it cannot be operated continuously for periods of more than 1 minute.

All in all - I'd say that prolonged exposure to VHF isnt good for you - but sensible use is ok. The bottom line of course is that not having a VHF may be more lifethreatening than having one!!!
Old 18 September 2004, 10:25   #69

Town: Torrance
Length: no boat
Slightly off topic about radio waves...

I think the health concerns are due to the compasions with microwave ovens and the way they work, but a microwave operates around 2500Mhz so the low power of a mobile at 1/2 the frequency or VHF at around a 1/16th seems little worry despite the higher power, but....

HF is obviously an even lower frequency and usually much higher power - think my certificate covers SSB operation up to 1500W and IT BURNS if you touch the antenna! But I guess there's not many RIBS with HF?

I seem to recall the HF set on an old boat I worked on would make the fluorence tube in the galley below glow!

SG