Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 15 June 2012, 12:08   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: no boat
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 119
Is a Searider 5.4 really not a 5.4?

Probably a "discussed" topic before so sorry for asking again but I am perplexed somewhat?

Ive just put my 5.4M Avon Searider into a storage yard in south Devon. They charge by the mm by the sounds of it and have just invoiced me for a 5.6M length boat? I am confused because I would have thought calling it a 5.4 meant exactly that - 5.4 meters in length. I tried explaining this but it only fell on deaf ears! The boat even has a manufacturers plate on detailing the length!

I know the extra length is not going to break the bank but if the yard in question does this to every boat that is brought in then they make a lot of "additional" money!

Is this common in boat yards or are the boats no where near the manufacturers specifications?

Thanks
__________________

__________________
CornishAvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2012, 12:10   #2
Member
 
ribraff's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dartmouth
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,218
Welcome to Blackness!!
__________________

__________________
Hypalon Tubes built in-house,retubing, repairs, Accessories
www.ribtube.co.uk
ribraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2012, 12:16   #3
ncp
Member
 
ncp's Avatar
 
Country: USA
Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,226
In the US, they'll measure the trailer, tongue and all (if it's on one), and any part of the engine hanging off the back.
__________________
ncp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2012, 12:26   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: no boat
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribraff
Welcome to Blackness!!
Umm I am getting worried now Ed! Is this a slippery slope?
__________________
CornishAvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2012, 12:27   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: no boat
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncp
In the US, they'll measure the trailer, tongue and all (if it's on one), and any part of the engine hanging off the back.
Well I am glad I don't live in the US!
__________________
CornishAvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2012, 12:41   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8,029
I spoke to Avon about this some time ago and they said that every batch of hypalon is different and can stretch to different sizes when the tubes are inflated. I did question this but he said that sometimes tubes can be 20cm bigger in length

I don't know if this is true but it was what I was told
__________________
whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2012, 13:07   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: no boat
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper
I spoke to Avon about this some time ago and they said that every batch of hypalon is different and can stretch to different sizes when the tubes are inflated. I did question this but he said that sometimes tubes can be 20cm bigger in length

I don't know if this is true but it was what I was told
Right then I'd better hold off any further discussions on the topic with them until I measure it myself. Cool

Cheers
__________________
CornishAvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2012, 13:28   #8
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,179
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornishAvon View Post
Right then I'd better hold off any further discussions on the topic with them until I measure it myself. Cool

Cheers
Let the tubes down & ask for a discount
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2012, 13:53   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,559
bow thats a solution worthy of an engineer
__________________
Here it comes again, I don't stand a chance
Soul possession, Got me in a trance
Pullin' me back to you - Deja Voodoo
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2012, 13:59   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Truro-Cornwall & Brazil
Boat name: Bananas in Blue
Make: Humber Destroyer 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-Tec 115
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 386
Possible the engine is sticking out 20cm past the tubes at the back? Still a bit sharp in my opinion but maybe they measured to the back of the engine?
__________________
Markyboyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2012, 14:20   #11
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,869
Elastic tape measure. My 7m Vipermax shrinks to 5.8m when overnighting in certain marinas around the Port.
__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2012, 14:24   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: no boat
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave

Let the tubes down & ask for a discount
Ha the thought crossed my mind also ;-)
__________________
CornishAvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2012, 15:15   #13
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,179
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Elastic tape measure. My 7m Vipermax shrinks to 5.8m when overnighting in certain marinas around the Port.
same applies to ferries
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2012, 02:58   #14
Trade member
 
Dry Run's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 737
RIBase
As a boat yard owner (who charges by the metre), we tend to use a bit of common sense when applying "the rules" (pardon the punn).

If your 5.4 Avon was here, we would be charging you for 5.4m. However, if a boat or Rib has things added that significantly increases the length then we would charge for that extra length. Examples would be swim platforms, some jet drives, metal frames behind the engines, etc.

Also, as with most things in life, we tend to be a little more lenient with "nice" people and a little less with pompous areses! Not that we have any clients like that here!
Dry Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2012, 03:03   #15
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: no boat
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Run
As a boat yard owner (who charges by the metre), we tend to use a bit of common sense when applying "the rules" (pardon the punn).

If your 5.4 Avon was here, we would be charging you for 5.4m. However, if a boat or Rib has things added that significantly increases the length then we would charge for that extra length. Examples would be swim platforms, some jet drives, metal frames behind the engines, etc.

Also, as with most things in life, we tend to be a little more lenient with "nice" people and a little less with pompous areses! Not that we have any clients like that here!
So whats your advice for me with regards to discussing this issue with the staff as I dont want to appear a "pompous arse" by any means. The boat is bog standard. No add ons what so ever.
__________________
CornishAvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2012, 03:38   #16
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,179
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post
bow thats a solution worthy of an engineer
Simple ones are the best
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2012, 04:48   #17
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 11,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornishAvon View Post
Ive just put my 5.4M Avon Searider into a storage yard in south Devon. They charge by the mm by the sounds of it and have just invoiced me for a 5.6M length boat? I am confused because I would have thought calling it a 5.4 meant exactly that - 5.4 meters in length. I tried explaining this but it only fell on deaf ears! The boat even has a manufacturers plate on detailing the length!
What is the true length overall though? IIRC many ribs are measured from the tip of the tubes to the transom. That means you have about 20cm hanging over the back for the cone ends...
Quote:
Is this common in boat yards
Every boat yard I have ever read the T&Cs for stated explicitly that they charge on actual length not your claims. In reality mine has never been measured to my knowledge.

Is it better to pay 5.6m at £10 per month or 5.4m at £12 per month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Elastic tape measure. My 7m Vipermax shrinks to 5.8m when overnighting in certain marinas around the Port.
In terms of the total cost of ownership, or even the cost of a given trip is that really worth worrying about? If everyone underestimates the length does it just push up the price per m for everyone else?
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2012, 04:54   #18
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
If everyone underestimates the length does it just push up the price per m for everyone else?

Really?
__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2012, 04:54   #19
Trade member
 
Dry Run's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 737
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornishAvon View Post
So whats your advice for me with regards to discussing this issue with the staff as I dont want to appear a "pompous arse" by any means. The boat is bog standard. No add ons what so ever.
My best advice is bring it here!!!! (well you knew I'd say that).

Seriously though, it is difficult to advise as (if they are staff and not owners) I guess they are only doing what they're told. Also, I cant think the extra 20cm is a lot of money (for you or for them) so might not be worth the aggro!

If you can get to speak to the owners you might get some joy - I always tell people that I never mind them asking as long as they don't get upset if I have to say no.

Good luck anyway
Dry Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2012, 05:36   #20
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Jersey
Boat name: Bete Noire
Make: Humber Assault 5m
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 50hp
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 19
Why not just measure it with a tape measure and see how long it actually is?
__________________

__________________
L'escargot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:42.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×