Click Here to Login

Old 08 June 2011, 06:19   #1

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Is a non-tiller gear selector a PITA?

Looking at buying and operating my first tiller steer OB. Considering a Tohatsu 9.8 but the fact the gear selector is seperate from the tiller and mounted on the main engine itself puts me off a bit (compared to say a Honda, Yamaha, Mercurys etc with the selector integral with the throttle on the tiller).

Say, when you are manouvering in tight spaces and need fine and quick control (into and out of neutral etc) - how practical is it in use to have to reach back, maybe with the other hand and flick the selector?

I have no experience of tillers so would welcome thoughts from both 'camps'?
Old 08 June 2011, 08:16   #2

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Having the gear on the tiller is ok, but it would not put me off an engine as good as the Tohatsu 9.8. You soon get used to operating the gears.
Old 08 June 2011, 08:26   #3

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Aquaholic
Make: Ribeye
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250 V8
Send a message via Skype™ to benc
On my Zapcat engine, we have the gear selector on the side of the engine also, when the engine is in gear, but throttle is right off, theres hard any movement at all so its not a problem for mooring etc, if I ever do need to have control of both, I sit with my left hand on the gear change, and use my right hand to gently control the throttle - it's a bit awkward, but its rare I need to do it.

It's not like a car where you would need to keep changing through the gears, you put it in gear, you go play... when you stop, you take it out of gear... so I dont see it being a problem really.
Old 08 June 2011, 08:35   #4

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>I sit with my left hand on the gear change, and use my right hand to gently control the throttle - it's a bit awkward, but its rare I need to do it.

Yep I do the same and having been boating with tiller steer outboards since the 60s it seems the logical way still and not difficult at all... only recently have I bought a Mariner 15 with gears on the twistgrip and I find I have to remember not to rev the engine (say when clearing a cold engine that sounds like it might stall at idle) as it will go into gear and shoot off.

With an inflatable/outboard setup you usually do launch and go its not like working through a crowded marina with a 50ft craft!
Old 08 June 2011, 09:14   #5

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
My aux is like that and I don't find it natural to use but I'm sure like anything else you get used to it. I don't really like tiller steer full stop but I'm sure there are plenty of people who think that "proper ribs" have tiller steer in the same way plenty of pilots think a "real aeroplane" has a tailwheel

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 June 2011, 09:37   #6

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Only really a nuisance if you sit on the port side, when it's a bit out the way. I guess as it's a 9.9, your hull isn't going to be so wide that you have to sit to port to reach the tiller.

I usually find the tiller shift ones more awkward, 'coz I instinctively reach round the side to find no lever!
Old 08 June 2011, 09:56   #7
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +

Maybe worth mentioning here that it's a 9.8 he's considering. Probably a typo on your part 9D280, but it might cause confusion - there is a 9.9hp too.

For the OP's info, the 9.8hp is the same block as the 6hp and 8hp, hence the weight savings.
The 9.9 is from the 15hp block. It's a bit of a lump.
Old 08 June 2011, 10:02   #8

As an aside - I know the 9.9 can be boosted to give more HP (>15?) - guessing as the 9.8 uses the 6/8 block there is not much scope for this - or can it be coaxed to give more horses too?
Old 08 June 2011, 10:17   #9
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
I'd have thought not Max. AFAIK the 9.9 weighs 41kg as opposed to the 9.8's 26kg - quite a difference.

41kg
Old 08 June 2011, 10:19   #10
RAD

Town: Essex
Boat name: Club Boat
Engine: Yam 40hp
The 9.8 is a fantastic engine, we use them on the jaffa's. We initially went for Long shaft as that is what was required but the short shaft on the same boat size makes it a lot better. The little bug bear is that in order for the engine to be raised up, you have to put it in forward gear, this is ok 99% of the time but rarely pops up when you least expect.
Old 08 June 2011, 10:28   #11

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>The little bug bear is that in order for the engine to be raised up, you have to put it in forward gear,

Please explain??

Regarding the 9.9 to 15hp issue it's a personal thing but I always buy the horsepower I need in the first place not rely on an upgrade which could turn out to be urban myth. The good thing about 2001 onwards 2-strokes in clean condition is that if you keep them nice they will hold their money so trading up at a later date doesn't involve a great loss on the old outboard.
Old 08 June 2011, 13:38   #12
RAD

Town: Essex
Boat name: Club Boat
Engine: Yam 40hp
In order for you to lift the engine, you need to put it in forward gear. If you put it in reverse too quickly, it tends to lift up the engine.
Old 14 June 2011, 10:25   #13

Thanks for the opinions chaps. Has anyone rigged up a remote to the gear selector but connected say below the throttle grip on the tiller??
Old 14 June 2011, 13:32   #14

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
Thanks for the opinions chaps. Has anyone rigged up a remote to the gear selector but connected say below the throttle grip on the tiller??
If you're going to do that surely it's going to be easier to just buy one with a tiller shift?

How wide is your hull? I can sit to stbd on a bare SR4 (call it 2m beam as a round number)& still reach the (port side) tiller comfortably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I'd have thought not Max. AFAIK the 9.9 weighs 41kg as opposed to the 9.8's 26kg - quite a difference.

41kg
That's ridiculous! My 60 is 83Kg........

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Maybe worth mentioning here that it's a 9.8 he's considering. Probably a typo on your part 9D280,
Yep. oops.