Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 03 February 2013, 18:46   #11
Member
 
Peter_C's Avatar
 
Country: USA
Boat name: Uh...a kayak?
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZZER View Post
Just googled Prius details and it seems the tow bar is for carrying bikes !
I built my own receiver hitch out of 1.75" DOM to tow! It is also reinforced with a load bar going forward. Of course my hitch just carried our bikes on the Thule bike rack this afternoon as we went for a nice ride on this beautiful sunny day

The car is not supposed to tow due to warranty on the inverter, and has nothing to do with the chassis/brakes. Since I really never did care about warranties it was never an issue for me, as a master auto tech. My Prius is also heavily modified, with better wheels/tires, suspension upgrades, chassis reinforcements, and a Scan Gauge II to monitor vitals. The chassis is similar to a Corolla that is rated to tow over 1,000lbs. A 600lb boat and trailer is nothing.

What I find funny is you guys in Europe looking at a Prius going no way, when I look at RIB's being towed by undersized vehicles all the time.
__________________

__________________
Peter_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2013, 00:05   #12
ncp
Member
 
ncp's Avatar
 
Country: USA
Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
What I find funny is you guys in Europe looking at a Prius going no way, when I look at RIB's being towed by undersized vehicles all the time.
I second that.

I'm constantly amazed at the size of the ribs you guys tow with some really small cars.
__________________

__________________
ncp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2013, 02:22   #13
Member
 
Leapy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncp View Post

I second that.

I'm constantly amazed at the size of the ribs you guys tow with some really small cars.
Are you praising us for ingenuity or criticising us for alledged recklessness? :wink:

BTW: "Undersized" and "really small" are relative terms. It depends what you're comparing to :wink: (again)
__________________
Leapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2013, 02:37   #14
Member
 
Leapy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post

Yep there shite*
*shite - slang engineering term for a 4x4 vehicle designed for an unclear purpose but which doesn't include off-roading, wading and towing
__________________
Leapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2013, 13:03   #15
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,579
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leapy View Post
*shite - slang engineering term for a 4x4 vehicle designed for posing
There, fixed that for you
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2013, 13:07   #16
dnv
Member
 
Country: Germany
Town: Hamburg
Boat name: Der Delphin
Make: Parker
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 120HP
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncp View Post

I second that.

I'm constantly amazed at the size of the ribs you guys tow with some really small cars.
you guys have really small ...
http://youtu.be/xiA7ihgqRLI

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
__________________
dnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2013, 13:25   #17
Member
 
Leapy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post

There, fixed that for you
Ah, thanks PD. I've been away from up norf for too long. I needed a true Northener to spell it out : thumbs:

Pity thez from t'wrong side t'Pennines lad otherwise a cud've taken a likin to thee.
__________________
Leapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2013, 18:12   #18
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
I built my own receiver hitch out of 1.75" DOM to tow! It is also reinforced with a load bar going forward. Of course my hitch just carried our bikes on the Thule bike rack this afternoon as we went for a nice ride on this beautiful sunny day

The car is not supposed to tow due to warranty on the inverter, and has nothing to do with the chassis/brakes. Since I really never did care about warranties it was never an issue for me, as a master auto tech. My Prius is also heavily modified, with better wheels/tires, suspension upgrades, chassis reinforcements, and a Scan Gauge II to monitor vitals. The chassis is similar to a Corolla that is rated to tow over 1,000lbs. A 600lb boat and trailer is nothing.

What I find funny is you guys in Europe looking at a Prius going no way, when I look at RIB's being towed by undersized vehicles all the time.
Shame the latest top gear tour of the states missed you Pete they could have made a great program with your modded Prius .
__________________
ian parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 February 2013, 05:57   #19
Member
 
chewy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,217
In the UK if your car isn't designed for towing it won't be rated which makes it illegal.

The ford ka isn't rated for towing, if you do fit a tow bar and use it for towing you'll be breaking the law.
__________________
chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 February 2013, 07:57   #20
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
In the UK if it's new enough to be CE marked or plated and isn't an import-for which data isn't available if your car isn't designed for towing it won't be rated which makes it illegal.

The ford ka isn't rated for towing, if you do fit a tow bar and use it for towing you'll be breaking the law.

Nearly-see my bold.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:38.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.