Old 12 November 2014, 12:17   #1

Town: Caribbean
Boat name: Rib
Make: Avon
Length: under 3m
Engine: 2.5 Tahatsu outboard
Insurance related issues

Another thread mentioned insurance in respect of having an engine that was in excess of the manufacturers recommended maximum.

This made me think of what would happen if an accident happened (and they do) with a RIB powered by an engine(s) over the recommended maximum.

1. Would the owner/skipper be hammered in the Courts?

If the 'victim' sues the owner/skipper for damages etc.
If no insurance . . . Oouch!

2. Would the Insurance (if there was any) decline to payout (they often use any excuse) because of the overpowering?

How many here have 'Liability Insurance' ?

I realise that you generally do not get 'Liability Insurance' without having 'Hull' insurance.

PS Does your car insurance cover your RIB and trailer?
Old 12 November 2014, 12:29   #2

Town: Portsmouth(ish)
Boat name: Wings
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F115 AETL
RIBase
My insurance policy covers me for 3rd party injury and liability and legal expenses, but I think you have to check individual policies/companies as not all are guaranteed to.

My insurers asked engine size/power, boat size and max speed of the boat. This won't guarantee that they know the maximum power engine for a size of boat though, and I'd guess they'd look to wriggle out of paying if your boat stated 100hp max and you had a 115hp fitted (for example). Also to add further confusion, the same boat may be fitted with a larger engine if a different year, for example my 2003 Ribeye A600 is rated for a 115hp engine, but later models (2006 onwards I think) are rated for 150hp engines.

My boat/trailer is covered under my boat policy for storage, transit and launch/recovery providing the trailer and tow vehicle are "fit for purpose", in a good state of repair and all necessary precautions are taken/applicable regulations followed. Trailer to have hitch and wheel lock fitted when unattended. My car insurance covers me to tow a trailer that is fit for purpose, in a good state of repair and conforms with legal requirements, etc. But I'm not sure the car insurance would cover the load in the trailer (not an issue since this is covered by the boat insurance).

(Or dive, or ref rugby, or.......)
Ovey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2014, 12:45   #3

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
If I'm not mistaken your car insurance covers the boat and trailer for third party only. Your boat insurance covers for damage to boat and trailer.
Old 12 November 2014, 13:26   #4

Town: Portsmouth(ish)
Boat name: Wings
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F115 AETL
RIBase
You could be right Kerny, I haven't looked at the car insurance (and trailer clauses) for a while - the boat insurance is fresh having just renewed!

The boat insurance covers damage to boat/trailer and loss of boat+trailer/trailer only providing all their requirements for safety/good repair/locking/fit for purpose, etc are met.

(Or dive, or ref rugby, or.......)
Ovey is offline   Reply With Quote