Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14 November 2007, 14:40   #11
Country: UK - England
Boat name: SOLD
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 794
We are with Mardon
They will cover channel crossings as long as we tell them first
trouble is, say you go to Aldderney and the weather turns and its a weekend
how do you get in touch to tell them you have left the boat there.
It seams there is a get out of jail free card with all the insurance company's
you only know how good your insurance is after you make the claim.
the other thing they asked me was what my top speed is
any thing over 50 knts they will not cover ?

Roy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2007, 14:41   #12
RIBnet admin team
Poly's Avatar
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,240
Originally Posted by Jono Garton View Post
Its about 46nm from Land to Land, So I would be covered for the 1st 12nm, not covered for the next 22nm and then covered for the next 12nm.

If that makes sense
Ah thanks - I should have looked at a map and then I would have realised it was way more than 22 miles...
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2007, 18:04   #13
Country: UK - England
Boat name: Coastalbuzz
Make: Brill Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250suzuki/6/5/5
MMSI: tba
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 328
25 miles

mine is 25 miles FROM SHORE upgraded at minimal cost by Euromarine at Broadstairs who I have used for 6 years and never had a daft clause built in. End advert.
I don't work for or with anyone from them !
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2007, 18:58   #14
Avocet's Avatar
Country: UK - England
Town: Poole
Boat name: Grimalkin
Make: Ribcraft 750 Sport
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzi 250
MMSI: 235050647
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 909
My policy (Haven Knox-Johnson through Bay Marine Consultants Ltd) stipulates:

"Inland and Coastal waters of the United KIngdom, Eire and Continental waters between River Elbe and La Rochelle plus Inland Continental waters of Europe not South of 46 degrees North not North of 55 degrees North and not East of 10 degrees East".

I wanted to cross from Poole (south coast of England) to Braye (Alderney; CI)

Being a lawyer (sorry!) I was concerned that the policy covered only the "coastal waters" of England and of the Continent and that I would, therefore, be uninsured for the middle part of the crossing (see above threads).

There is, in fact, no universal definition of 'coastal waters' but 'Territorial Waters' are internationally accepted (for GB at least) as being 12 miles off shore (after allowing for bays, close lying islands etc to be included as part of the mainland). This would leave me uninsured for the middle part (total crossing 70nm).

I phoned my brokers who quickly apprciated the point and contacted the insurers to clarify it. The brokers promptly phoned back to advise that I would be insured for the whole crossing whenever I chose to go (with no conditions about two boats or prior notification etc) and have subsequently written to me confirming this.

I suspect that interpretation may well vary from insurer to insurer but I recommend doing as above to avoid problems.

Avocet is offline   Reply With Quote

« Bare hulls | Top | Flares »
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:24.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.