Click Here to Login

Old 18 April 2003, 07:11   #1

Town: Pembrokeshire
Boat name: MATUKA
Make: Lencraft
Length: 5.5m
Engine: Mariner 60 4s Efi
Insurance....Help...pan pan!!

Can anyone tell me where I can find a respectable insurance company who will insure my RIB to be kept:

Ashore at home, locked....
BUT will not demand of me to have a lockfast compound!!

At the same time, can someone please tell me where I can find a locking system for the 60HP engine which is fixed in normal manner to our rib, again the insurance comppany I am with jsut demand the lock but cannot tell me what is suitable.

And finally....a warning. Have a good look at your insurance policy, it may not provide the cober you want.

I get the feeling that insurers will provide some sort of cover, at great expense, but will through "clauses" make it almost impossible for you to calim should the worst happen.

ANY INSURANCE AGENTS OUT THERE.....TIME WE HEARD FROM YOU ABOUT AN HONEST AND APPLICABLE PACKAGE.
Old 18 April 2003, 08:10   #2

Town: Bristol
Make: none
Length: no boat
Hi

I went through Mardon and got insurance for my RIB to include cover when its ashore at home or on Caravan Park.

Must be on its trailer and trailer must be imobilised by use of wheelclamp.

Personally I use a Wheel Clamp and chain the whole thing to a ground anchor at home or the caravan went away in my Summer Retreat.

See http://www.aajsecurity.co.uk/products/index.htm for ground anchors.

Martin
mstacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2003, 08:27   #3

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Call Richard at Unicover on 01903 877177 - he does all my insurance and no complaints!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2003, 09:10   #4

Town: Leatherhead
I use Euro Marine Services Ltd through Rib Insurance Services Ltd (01656-784866).

The policy states that "In addition to security devices agreed by us being fitted and in operation...... (I use 2 wheel clamps and a hitchlock)...... if the vessel is kept on the driveway of the Policyholder's home address....... it shall be chained to a permanently fixed object"

The engine is locked to the transom with bolt-type locks.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2003, 09:31   #5

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
I have tried a few and found Portcawl insurance the best. RI did an advertorial on Boat locks about 4 isues ago. I'll see if I can find the article as it was faily comprehensive.
Old 18 April 2003, 09:39   #6

Town: Newfoundland
I also use Mardon and IIRC the policy states that the trailer needs to be wheelclamped OR the trailer needs to be in a locked compound. As for outboard antitheft devices you can get a captive nut type thingy that serves the purposes of your insurance co. A bit farcical cos if anyone is going to nick my 200hp O/B there gonna need a crane or a forklift!
Old 18 April 2003, 10:48   #7

Town: no
Boat name: no
Make: no
Engine: no
MMSI: no
Contact Steve @ Porthcawl on 01656 784866
Old 18 April 2003, 19:04   #8

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
Storm, are you based in Saxon Wharf

Alan, it is my understanding that how they nick big outboards is they drive up to the boat on a vehicle with a HIAB. fasten the motor to the crane and then cut the motor out of the Transom with a chainsaw. So I guess your right a padlock aint gonna help.

However if you only have to undo four bolts then I guess it's a lot quieter to use a spanner than a chainsaw...If that hapenned then I guess the loss adjuster might notice the lack of force.

I'd best point out that I have no practical experience of this type of activity whatsoever and have no problems with the Islamic approach to punishing theives . I think, however, they are a bit harsh on adulterers though

Stuart
Old 18 April 2003, 22:00   #9

Town: Fareham
Make: Cobra
Length: 7.5
Engine: yamaha 200HPDI
We Also use RIS (Porthcawl Insurance) call 01656 784463 and ask for Steve, extremely helpful, best quote we had and we tried around 20 brokers, the cover includes storage in locked compound, on the drive at home and travel on the road throughout the UK. Stipulations are a Wheel lock and engine lock and when on the drive chained to a secure fixing, plus the excess is the same for the whole policy, no extra for prop.

Highly Recommended.
Old 19 April 2003, 06:27   #10

Town: Pembrokeshire
Boat name: MATUKA
Make: Lencraft
Length: 5.5m
Engine: Mariner 60 4s Efi
Thanks very much folks, I will let my fingers do some walking, just a point on EIS, I also use tham and have found them to be VERY good,Their policy is from Norwich Union, BUT looking at the insurance terms, the boat now has to be in a lockfast compound between sunset and sunrise, this either means we have to find such a compound, away from the current location (there are none suitable in the area that I would trust to be lockfast) OR tough it out! I certainly do not envisage us taking the boat to a secure location every night, it having spent the day in the driveway location perfectly secure and safe.

Dave
Old 19 April 2003, 10:13   #11

Town: Newfoundland
Quote:
Originally posted by THEWAVEHUMPER

Alan, it is my understanding that how they nick big outboards is they drive up to the boat on a vehicle with a HIAB. fasten the motor to the crane and then cut the motor out of the Transom with a chainsaw. So I guess your right a padlock aint gonna help.

Stuart
Exactly. If anyone wants my outboard that bad then theres bugger all I can do about it except claim on the insurance! Its makes a mockery of a £20 security bolt though doesn't it!
Old 23 April 2003, 22:18   #12

Town: Douglas Isle of Man
Make: Osprey
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 70hp 4 stroke
MMSI: 235035776
Porthcawl Insurance

Steve sorted me out over the phone.

His quote was £90 less than I could get locally. (£162 v £250).

His documents came through next day (today in fact).

I was very impressed - it's with Norwich Union too!
Old 06 May 2003, 11:34   #13

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Hi

Just insured Quicksilver with Porthcawl Insurance @ £120.00 fully comp. Great service, good price.

I was with 'The Basic Boat Liability Company' who do just what it says. Third party only, the basic cover to use the boat on the inland waterways etc. First year £39.00, second year it was £49.00. This year they quoted £69.00 and for an even MORE basic cover (higher price - less cover). Not on your nelly mate!

Fully comp with theft cover etc for just £51.00 more from Porthcawl was the much better option.

Keith (just thought I'd mention it) Hart

He he he he, all insured for the RibNet meeting!
Old 06 May 2003, 13:17   #14

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Insurance

I'm with Mardon and just about to make a claim as i had an out of control speed boat jump over my starboard tube and crack a small piece of my engine cover, scuff and scratch the tube on Sunday as i was about to pull my Seaider back up onto my trailer at Herne bay slip in Kent, strangely i'd stopped to chat with the slip way attendant about harbour regs and why it is jet skiers seem to think they own the harbour and whole ocean and to hell with anyone else, then speed boat man does a quick 360 degree spin on the spot at about 50 knots, slamms into my boat and speeds off out nearly missing the harbour wall by about a foot doing to me what looked like a classic James Bond stunt. Needless to say the ramp attendant and coast guard watching were keen to have a quite chat with him, of course after they had prized my hands from his kneck and three burly brick layers had managed to hold me back.
Turns out he had a dodgy throttle and it jammed open and rather than plant the bow into a wall he decided the best bet was to try and turn to open water but in doing so over compensated, hit me and nearly gave the onlookers on the harbour wall the bad news, can tell you factor 15 would not have been enough if that high octane speed boat had have gone up.
One good point though that made me chuckle all evening was my Father in Law standing at the stern holding the boat dived for cover and slipped backwards into the ogging getting absolutely drenched :-)

R