Old 05 November 2012, 15:31   #11
Town: Bristol
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 60 outboard
I had an issue when a lady drove into the back of my dory on its trailer when I pulled into a lay by... Looking in her handbag she followed me in at 30mph.

Insurance co advised engine and trailer were write off and the hull was repairable. After a lot of discussions their offer was to provide a new trailer, which once I had transferred the boat to, I could use to take the hull to be repaired and then source an engine to get fitted ( yam 2s 40hp). ALL done by me in my time

When I argued with them they conceded that it was unreasonable to expect me to swap the boat over and tat they should coordinate it. The end result was a very good valuation from an independent engineer, which they paid out in full finally accepting it was a complete package.

Icing on the cake was buying the "scrap" for 400 which with a little work resulted in the trailer being repaired for 100 of new brackets as it was 99% adjustment and a new drawbar and fits my rib great. The dory is now back on the previous trailer and is about to go on eBay as a project and I have a full 40hp power head which is ready to go on eBay for some fuel money.

The lesson I learnt was to plan what I wanted and hold to my guns..... Their whole initial offer was based on me doing the whole work.

Ian_st is offline   Reply With Quote