scm

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Lynx 1, 2, 3
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 275
Instructor course

Hi all,

I am about to do my RYA Instructors course in the next couple of weeks and was wondering if anyone knew of any good resource web sites, ie powerpoint or the like?

Also, as there seems to be so many experienced people on this site, any advise ref the course would be most welcome.

Regards

Stuart

Old 02 October 2002, 18:42   #2

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Ballistic
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam HPDI 250
Where you heading and what's your background Stu?

Regards

Daniel

Old 03 October 2002, 03:40   #3

Town: Poole
Length: 6m +
Instructors resource

There is such a site at http://www.colinridley.co.uk. Colin is a RYA Powerboat Trainer who I work with a lot and has created just such a resource for potential Instructors.

As to advice mine would be to keep it as simple as possible. As great as laptops/powerpoint are some good acetates projected onto a drywipe board (all decent schools will have a projector) can be simpler allowing you to 'overwrite' the images on the board to reinforce your point/message. This has the added advantage of not relying on laptops which have a strange habit of going wrong when you least want them to ~ Instructors courses! (If i'm missing the point here and you never intended to use a laptop - sorry!). The other downside being the need to get 6 or so students round a screen (unless you're a very rich school with 42 Plasma screen!). One of the best places to get some images is your pile of MBM, Sportsboat, charts etc which when scanned and printed onto acetate are perfect. The RYA also do a presentation CD for shorebased Instructors which is good albeit a bit unwieldy

Another site which is useful (but difficult to utilise in a classroom) is the Interactive Training section of the RNLI site (http://www.rnli.org.uk/training/launch.asp) which is outstanding .

My final observation would be to relax and enjoy it and get your students involved in the discusions as much as possible (rather than just presenting). This is one of the ways real ribbing/powerboating experience plays a key part as an Instructor able to bring real experiences into a training session will present a far better course.

If you would like to have a chat send me an email with a number and I will call you

Paul
PowerboatTraining UK, Poole

PS (& apologies for doing this here): We have an Instructors course starting tomorrow (4th/5th/6th Oct) and one of the 6 potential Instructors has had to drop out ~ anyone out there ready for the course at short notice and want to do it ~ call 07973 179869 if interested.

www.powerboat-training-uk.co.uk, www.aquasafepowerboatschool.co.uk
Paul Glatzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2002, 05:39   #4

Town: Saltash, Cornwall
Make: Rib less:-(
Length: no boat
Hi Stuart
Power point presentations can be great as can OHP's, though need to watch out for doing too many as 'death by OHP' can occur after the 15 hudredth slide .
Best resource I found is a few slide slides as the main point and 'Chalk & talk' black board or white board with differnt colours, you don't have to be an expert artist to reinforce the points / answer questions.
As Paul said relax enjoy the course, make sure your L2 skills are up to scratch so you can talk about what you are doing, not worrying if you are doing it correctly.
Have Fun
Jelly
Old 03 October 2002, 13:25   #5

Town: winchester
Boat name: Pilchard
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Merc 90 4s
I have just followed your link to the the RNLI web site, which is an excellent resource - I shall now spend even less time in the office working, and even more time reading posts on rib.net and boning up on COLREGS with the RNLI !
Old 03 October 2002, 14:53   #6
scm

Many thanks for the reply's. Just what i needed.

Paul, i will drop you an e-mail later, thanks for the offer of a chat.

Daniel,

Not sure what you mean by where i'm heading, just after some advise with regard to the course and where to get any resources of the web.
My background is Millatary helicopter pilot, Yachtmaster Offshore (Com), SI dinghy and level 4 Powerboat.

Regards
Stuart
Old 03 October 2002, 15:13   #7

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Ballistic
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam HPDI 250
I meant where are you taking the PBI course stu!

Sounds like you should have no real problems with the YM, Advanced PB and SI behind you.

I did my PBI 18 months ago with no problems at all. I have Dinghy Inst., and Day Skipper but have not done the PB advanced course (yet!).

I think you'll be fine if you know the theroy (read up on a few books) and have had some recent time in a selection of boats (the course would be no time to dust off cobwebs!).

In reality not all teaching establishments put the instructors on 'real' courses as the RYA course notes would suggest, my course was six potential instructors practising teaching each other, in fact one of the best parts of the course was learning bits off each other.

Although i think this was good it means the first 'real' course you teach is a little daunting - particulary so when you 'jump in at the deap end' as the only PBI at your club and start organising courses!

I'll be interested to hear which way you're course is run - with or without real paying pupils?

Cheers

Daniel
Old 03 October 2002, 15:28   #8

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
as trainer / assessor for instructor courses the one thing that really ******* me off are presentations where someone is trying to impress with powerpoint presentations with bits that flash in from various angles and fade in from here and out to there - and at the end of it they have told me nothing 'cept how good they are with a lap top and a projector. Having taught powerboating and sub aqua courses all round the country and used all the toys I have gone back to basics and use a flip chart for everything. The one thing my sub aqua inst course taught me was be prepared! If you use a flip chart take a flip chart holder in case theirs does not fit your chart (it happens!). If you are using your own projector take a spare bulb and an extension lead cos the plughole is always just that bit too far away. If you are using powerpoint have your presentation copied on two disks in case you lose one or it just won't work. Check your candidates are properly kitted up (lifejackets on properly etc), you are aware of any medical conditions, agree signals between the boats and define your working area. Then enjoy yourself! Piece of cake really!
Old 05 October 2002, 15:40   #9
scm

Daniel,

Thanks, doing the course on Southampton water/solent. There won't be any paying pupils on the course as we are all mil. That said we will be on the course for five days and i'm sure there will be the normal role play etc.

Dave,
I agree, you can go overboard with powerpoint but that coupled with the whiteboard can be a good thing. (you should see my drawing!!) I will stick to Keep it Simple stupid.

Thanks for the advise.

Regards
Stuart
Old 08 October 2002, 15:29   #10

Town: Ireland
Boat name: Ally Cat
Make: Several
Engine: Several
Hi Stuart, The other Stuart on the list here and by coincidence also a Military guy !

As a Powerboat Trainer who runs such courses regularly , my advice is also to keep it simple and just be your self !

The RYA do have an excellent little CD ROM based around the YM Shore course which is great for building either Powerpoint presentations and also for producing very sexy and colourful OHP slides .

Give me a buzz or an email at any time !

Contact details on www.powerboat.org,

Best wishes !

Stuart

Powerboat is offline   Reply With Quote