Old 18 September 2019, 08:40   #1

Town: Ireland
Make: Zodiac Open550
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda 75hp EFi
Inexpensive Synthetic Teak

Hi,
I recently had to remove the tubes on my 1998 Zodiac Open Pro 550 to get the tubes repaired. The boltrope had split from the hull so I got it professionally reglued. It got me thinking about doing a bit of a refurb and pimping up my rib. The floors are white gelcoat with a non-slip texture but they catch every bit of dirt and they are a breeding ground for slime/growth. I would love to get a proper seadeck or tekdek panel but I'm guessing it would be very expensive.
I see a lot of EVA foam synthetic decking rolls for sale on Ebay and other websites. Can anyone recommend a good EVA Foam to use? Would I need to sand off the textured finish on the existing deck? What is the best adhesive to use? And recommendations and links appreciated.
Thanks,
Donie
Old 18 September 2019, 13:20   #2

Town: Winchester
Boat name: The Rubber Duck
Make: Avon 3.10
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Don't even think about that EVA stuff, its rubbish, I wouldn't even use in inside my house, it's just what is says it is foam.

It wouldn't last 5 minutes in a rib and then you've knacked your existing floor.

Either go proper teak (which is what I am doing) or go for TeakDec.

Sorry, but no short cuts here I am afraid.

Ask them for a small sample.
Old 18 September 2019, 22:02   #3

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
Literally every rib at the Southampton boat show had Eva foam decking. Seadek was a popular brand. Some were full pro installs and others were in sections equivalent to the sizes available off the role. I spent a lot of time stroking it and it feels great but not sure about durability. I am also tempted
Old 19 September 2019, 04:36   #4

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtflash View Post
Literally every rib at the Southampton boat show had Eva foam decking. Seadek was a popular brand. Some were full pro installs and others were in sections equivalent to the sizes available off the role. I spent a lot of time stroking it and it feels great but not sure about durability. I am also tempted
I also looked at loads of it on Ribs at the Show. I could not help thinking that it would hold dirt though what did you think

Dennis
Old 20 September 2019, 09:39   #5

Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Appreciate it's an ad but worth a look:
Old 21 September 2019, 06:32   #6

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
I also looked at loads of it on Ribs at the Show. I could not help thinking that it would hold dirt though what did you think

Dennis
Mike rings boat, was an example of a very soft foam. Non teak like. Felt a bit too squishy. That was seadek I believe
Old 21 September 2019, 18:52   #7

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
As has already been mentioned, looking around at SBS on Thursday nearly every power boat, except the really expensive ones, had some kind of soft fake teak, and most were indeed displaying a SeaDek sign.

There was a SeaDek stand in the first part of the show, and I asked about it's ability to resist wear and marking but didn't really get a straight answer.
I asked how it would stand up to a diving cylinder or weight belt being dropped on it and was given an honest answer that it wasn't really meant for that kind of thing.

However when asked if I could have a small sample to test the sales guy gave me a pack of 27 different coloured 1 x 2" samples, and a couple of larger squares.
1 is sat on my workbench with a socket on it weighed down with a tin of paint to see how it recovers when it's removed.

However in the main indoor show area there was a stand from Wasser-Dek
Wässerdek | Bespoke Boat Foam Decking
And I asked the same questions.
I couldn't have a sample, they'd given them all away, but the sales guys assured me they had a 'Heavy Duty' version of their product that would survive a harder life.
But I can't find a mention of it on their website.

I'm going to give them a call next week and see if I can pop down to their place in Gosport and get a sample of the Heavy Duty version, but I'm half expecting to be given a bit of TekDek or similar.

Nasher
Old 22 September 2019, 14:53   #8

Town: Connecticut
Make: Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: Undecided
None of the “foam” decking stuff seams to wear well. Good customer of mine did His yacht tender and said never again. Not sure which brand but after less than a year of use it has chunks missing where stuff was dropped.
www.DinghyPro.net
cgoing is offline   Reply With Quote