Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 15 December 2005, 09:15   #21
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Not all journalists are the same - Jane's staff are so good ALL military planners use them as an acknowledged source.

I am not against change - just against change for change's sake. In other words if it ain't broke don't fix it!!!
__________________

__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2005, 09:59   #22
DGR
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Not all journalists are the same - Jane's staff are so good ALL military planners use them as an acknowledged source...
Most of the time yes, but they are also capable of publishing utter rubbish as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
I am not against change - just against change for change's sake. In other words if it ain't broke don't fix it!!!
The problem with that approach is that when you suddenly realise that it's bust, then you have to run about like an idiot trying to knife and fork a remedy.

I seem to remember the Canadian Navy having the opportunity to replace their Sea Kings alongside either the Air Force or Army (or coastguard? Hazy on the detail...) - but didn't for the same reasons that you give for keeping them. Now they are in real trouble - with very few of them able to meet their flying rates because of maintenance and downtime. 22 years is quite old for an operational airframe - especially if it hasn't been relifed at some point.

D...
__________________

__________________
DGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2005, 11:17   #23
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Most of the World's military aircraft were around at the time of the Vietnam war!!!

The Lockheed C-130 Hercules which is STILL the most versatile aircraft around actually came out in 1954...... nwere aircraft have come and gone but it's the Herc people still use!!!

Browning 0.5" machine gun - still in use to this day - came out in 1933.

Just because it's an old design doen't mean it should be scrapped. Obviously the older they get the harder they are to maintain - so just keep manufacturing them using modern techniques!!!
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2005, 11:26   #24
Member
 
Richard B's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
The Lockheed C-130 Hercules which is STILL the most versatile aircraft around actually came out in 1954...... nwere aircraft have come and gone but it's the Herc people still use!!!
But not necessarily the same version...

"The prototype flew in August 1954 and since then over 60 nations have ordered the Hercules. Those in use by the RAF are C-130K versions (known as Hercules C1 and C3) and initial deliveries (of a total of 66 ordered) were made during the mid-1960s and many are destined to remain in service for some years to come, although about half of the fleet have been replaced by the updated C-130J (Hercules C4 and C5)."

http://www.raf.mod.uk/equipment/hercules.html

BTW I don't think anyone was quoting from "Jane's" earlier.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2005, 11:31   #25
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
But not necessarily the same version...

"The prototype flew in August 1954 and since then over 60 nations have ordered the Hercules. Those in use by the RAF are C-130K versions (known as Hercules C1 and C3) and initial deliveries (of a total of 66 ordered) were made during the mid-1960s and many are destined to remain in service for some years to come, although about half of the fleet have been replaced by the updated C-130J (Hercules C4 and C5)."

http://www.raf.mod.uk/equipment/hercules.html

BTW I don't think anyone was quoting from "Jane's" earlier.
Alright then - 1960s - still pretty old!!!

Sorry it wasn't Jane's - it was Flight International which is another equally respected journal and shares many of the same editors.
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2005, 12:04   #26
Member
 
Richard B's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,015
My point about the Hercs is that half the RAF's fleet have been replaced with the new version which is a major development of the original product. So neither the RAF nor Lockheed Martin are standing still!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2005, 12:09   #27
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
My point about the Hercs is that half the RAF's fleet have been replaced with the new version which is a major development of the original product. So neither the RAF nor Lockheed Martin are standing still!
Couldn't agree more - there is ALWAYS room for improvement but people should never reject something JUST because it's an old design.

The last B52 was built in 1964 and they have no plans for changing them until at least 2040 - then again the sort of people the US choose to go to war with aren't exactly cutting edge either....
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2005, 05:15   #28
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: West Sussex
Boat name: Everlong
Make: Botnia Targa 27
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD44
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Most of the World's military aircraft were around at the time of the Vietnam war!!!

The Lockheed C-130 Hercules which is STILL the most versatile aircraft around actually came out in 1954...... nwere aircraft have come and gone but it's the Herc people still use!!!

Browning 0.5" machine gun - still in use to this day - came out in 1933.

Just because it's an old design doen't mean it should be scrapped. Obviously the older they get the harder they are to maintain - so just keep manufacturing them using modern techniques!!!
Ask any herc pilot and they'll tell you that they'd give their right bollock to get more c17's - infinitely superior to the herc in every area. Only reason they are still used is cost.
__________________
donutsina911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2005, 13:26   #29
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: NW/SW/Nigeria
Boat name: none
Make: none
Length: 6m +
Engine: none
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 147
Send a message via MSN to Action Man
well...........................i don't like it
__________________
Action Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2008, 17:15   #30
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
I know this thread is 3 years old but couldn't resist...........

Just been reading that SAR teams are complaining about their new helis - the Augusta SW139 - seems they can't lift as much as the old S61 - they are very cramped and the new technology doesn't work................

They aren't allowed to fly at night but this story is even worse.

http://www.thisiswesternmorningnews....l/article.html

A DYING man was left dangling in mid-air for half a mile when the winch on a new coastguard helicopter broke, it has been revealed.
__________________

__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:32.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.