Old 07 November 2005, 01:26   #11
Town: Kent
Boat name: Cygnet
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 70hp 4* outbo
Originally Posted by codprawn
Do the bearing buddies work if you have the so called "sealed for life" bearings???
Apparently not!
The sealed for life bearings are designed to keep the grease they were manufactured with in, whilst keeping dirt & grime out. So its very unlikely they will allow grease in through the seals (even though they canít manage to keep the water out).

Swanley Sub-Aqua Club
Jackwabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2005, 16:40   #12
Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
stripped down the bearings and brakes for the first time in 7 years and the only signs of any problem was the discoloured grease and the bearings had some pitting on the bearing surface top layer otherwise allwas good

fitted a new jockey wheel clamp as the original threads has gone

fitted new bearings and seals to each wheel (4 of em) for 80 quid and packed them full of grease like i did originally so hopefully they should be good for another 7 years if i am lucky, the brakes were perfect, slight surface rust but nothing to worry about, coating a few bits with copper grease really helped keep everything shipshape

will see if the new sbs trailer for the rib lasts as long as the indespension trailer has..

cheers to my friend for the loan of his marina spot while i refurbed the trailer

jobs a good un

Hugh Jardon is offline   Reply With Quote