Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 02 August 2016, 16:00   #21
RIBnet supporter
 
Chris Caton's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
Is that now technically a RIB?
not any sort of rib I'd want, last time I saw it the bags had gone, it looked in a very sorry state
__________________
Member of S.A.B.S. (Wirral Division)
Chris Caton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 August 2016, 16:58   #22
Member
 
HUMBER P4VWL's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,006
Incident at Puffin Island/Anglesey

Been bought from the insurer I believe, trailered off. Allegedly worth 350k, bought for 100k.

Allegedly they were fishing off the back and with heads down didn't see the mahoosive Rock called Puffin Island. By the time they realised they were on the rocks and holed.

Local grapevine and potential Chinese whispers. ;-)
__________________

__________________
HUMBER P4VWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 August 2016, 04:30   #23
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: reiver 3.8/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: 40hp 2st 2x6lp 315
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
Been bought from the insurer I believe, trailered off. Allegedly worth 350k, bought for 100k.

Allegedly they were fishing off the back and with heads down didn't see the mahoosive Rock called Puffin Island. By the time they realised they were on the rocks and holed.

Local grapevine and potential Chinese whispers. ;-)
Think someone got the decimal point in the wrong place on those values
Knock a nought off and your closer to the mark
__________________
beamishken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 August 2016, 05:07   #24
RIBnet supporter
 
Chris Caton's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
Think someone got the decimal point in the wrong place on those values
Knock a nought off and your closer to the mark
n that's still more than it's worth, looked a right mess when I las saw it 🙄
__________________
Chris Caton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 August 2016, 06:00   #25
Member
 
idsebby's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Town: WAterford
Boat name: na
Make: Rimini
Length: 5m +
Engine: dt85
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 237
I suppose this is the whole reason we all have ribs. Already got the rescue pontoons strapped on. Curious to know what happens when a rib gets holed.
__________________
idsebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 August 2016, 06:45   #26
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: reiver 3.8/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: 40hp 2st 2x6lp 315
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by idsebby View Post
I suppose this is the whole reason we all have ribs. Already got the rescue pontoons strapped on. Curious to know what happens when a rib gets holed.
We did some testing years ago when my pal was getting a range of ribs ce marked we filled a boat to the top of the tubes untill it was running out the top of the transom then lowered the elephants trunk and started up and drove away the water just ran out the back then drained via the trunk once light enough to plane
So in answer to your question not a lot realy
It may be different depending where and how big the hole is I guess
__________________
beamishken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 August 2016, 07:38   #27
Member
 
HUMBER P4VWL's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
We did some testing years ago when my pal was getting a range of ribs ce marked we filled a boat to the top of the tubes untill it was running out the top of the transom then lowered the elephants trunk and started up and drove away the water just ran out the back then drained via the trunk once light enough to plane
So in answer to your question not a lot realy
It may be different depending where and how big the hole is I guess

This assumes your electrics are on a shelf in a console above the flooded waterline! Many smaller ribs don't.

If not, your battery will be a mess.

We've been awash twice. Put in gear and it rocks the water back, very little forward motion until you get a load over the transom and the nose up, then speed exponentially increases.

...assuming you've not holed a tube too!
__________________
HUMBER P4VWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 August 2016, 07:58   #28
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,760
Even when big yellow snapped it's hull she stayed afloat.

Your battery needn't necessarily be a mess even if it sits low down, provided the locker it is in isn't full of holes.

But if you hit land / a rock at speed you risk serious injury and at least losing all power no matter what craft you are in. Once you get in a mess near breaking waves, or where you are blown onto shallows and cant get the engine down etc its a slippery slope.
__________________
Poly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03 August 2016, 08:43   #29
Member
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,053
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
This assumes your electrics are on a shelf in a console above the flooded waterline! Many smaller ribs don't.

If not, your battery will be a mess.

We've been awash twice. Put in gear and it rocks the water back, very little forward motion until you get a load over the transom and the nose up, then speed exponentially increases.

...assuming you've not holed a tube too!
..It'll empty ALOT easier and potentially quicker through the Elepahant Trunks than over the Transum!
Any decent offshore RIB worth its salt will have Trunks...preferably Two!
If it's knarly and you gotta make decent Headway Motto must be Trunks Down!..Throtle up!
Most stuffings are down to Bad Helming...but it always pays to be prepared
__________________
A clever Man learns by his mistakes..
A Wise Man learns by other people's!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 August 2016, 09:10   #30
RIBnet supporter
 
Chris Caton's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,147
what's all this stuff about elephants trunks, I didn't know we were going swimming with elephants I've managed to fill the Revenger a couple of times over the last ten years, never noticed any problems with emptying out the back, but maybe the self draining decks do work after all
__________________
Member of S.A.B.S. (Wirral Division)
Chris Caton is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:42.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.