Old 06 December 2015, 01:10   #1

Town: Melbourne
Boat name: itsjustgoodbusiness
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 733
Length: 7m +
Engine: Inboard Volvo Penta
MMSI: RO666
In-hull transducer

On my boat there's a box for an in-hill transducer. The boat was bought with no transducer in the box, so the navy must have removed it when the boat was decommissioned.
I now want to install a fishfinder GPS unit and consider the Garmin echoMAP 75dv.
The transducer it comes with is suppose to go on the transom. The dealer said it might work if I place the transducer in the box and fill it with glycol.
The objective it to have a CHIRP sounder and I.m not sure if this will work as an in-hill transducer.
Comments please. Is there a better sounder for this application.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5745.JPG
Views:	280
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	109959   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5748.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	109960  
Old 06 December 2015, 05:24   #2

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
I used a north star sounder for depth only by silkaflex ing it to inside of hull. Worked perfectly for years but it was just depth reading
Old 06 December 2015, 07:41   #3

Town: blackpool
Boat name: Fast Forward
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315 Yanmar
We used marine sealant to bond a standard Raymarine chirp transducer to shoot through the hull last year.It worked perfectly
Old 06 December 2015, 09:05   #4

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Mine originally had a proper fitting and all the messing around filling with glycol etc but the fitting was stuck on wrong when the boat was built and the sounder didn't give a reading half the time as it was pointing out to the side.

I got another fitting, but there wasn't space to stick it onto the hull as I couldn't get the old one off. Somebody on here suggested I just put it on with silicone sealant, which I did, and that was about four years ago now. It worked better than the original ever did, and I haven't had to touch it again.

I don't know if a CHIRP sounder is the same technology, but if you just use ordinary silicone rather than sikaflex, you should be able to get it off again fairly easily if it doesn't work.

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 December 2015, 09:15   #5

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
I have a Lowrance HDS 9 gen 3 with an M260 in hull transducer. Chirp works perfectly.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 December 2015, 09:55   #6

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
Old Lowrance lcx16 with transom skimmer transducer bonded inside the hull.
Clear bottom trace to about 30 meters at 25kn+. (Much, much deeper at slow speed.)
The only aspect of the performance likely to be effected is absolute range and if it's that deep it probably doesn't matter anyway
Old 06 December 2015, 18:26   #7

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
Garmin have a section on transducers including through hull ones. They are quite expensive compared with the transom mounted ones. I think it also depends on how you use the boat. The transom mounted ones can be a bit vulnerable if you do lots of launching.

http://www8.garmin.com/transducers/d...guide-2015.pdf
Old 06 December 2015, 19:09   #8

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
Garmin have a section on transducers including through hull ones. They are quite expensive compared with the transom mounted ones. I think it also depends on how you use the boat. The transom mounted ones can be a bit vulnerable if you do lots of launching.

http://www8.garmin.com/transducers/d...guide-2015.pdf
Most, if not all transducers are made by Airmar & rebadged by the different manufacturers who have their bespoke plugs fitted to the cables. That's why all the different manufacturers offer more or less the same transducers.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 December 2015, 14:57   #9

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
If its just for depth reading then shoot through hull works ok, but you will get more detail when its transom mounted. The ultimate solution to this is a proper through hull transducer mounted externally.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 December 2015, 20:31   #10

Town: Kerteminde
Boat name: Genesis 340FTD
Make: Walker Bay
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 15 hp 4sroke
I've been using a Garmin plotter with a transom mount transducer fixed with silicon internally on the big boat for the last two years, works fine.
Old 14 December 2015, 19:44   #11

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The ultimate solution to this is a proper through hull transducer mounted externally.
Interestingly Garmin suggest two through hull transducers if you have a large deadrise angle so the hull doesn't create a shadow. I suspect it again depends on whether you are using the side sonar function or not.
Old 14 December 2015, 20:25   #12

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
I've cut holes through my boats hulls before trying to get the most out of transducers and have found in most cases the simple external bracket works fine.

I would not recommend the 1kw transducers unless you like telling everyone you have a big one that cost more I fish for deep water fish using big electric reels with 1500m of line and 5kg sinkers, mostly in water 300-1000m deep. I ran both lowrances standard 200/50htz and airmars tm260 and found the much cheaper Lowrance sounder was consistently better.

I tried talking two of my mates from buying the tm260, one for Lowrance and the other for furono. Both regretted it and like me have since sold them on ebay.

What depth are you wanting to sound as I can read bottom even up to 300m at 40kmh on 200htz and much deeper on 50htz at lower speeds (from a $200 transducer) external bracket mount.

Jon
Old 01 May 2017, 11:40   #13

Town: Iksal village
Boat name: C-Scanner
Make: rib520
Engine: suzuki70 df
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
Old Lowrance lcx16 with transom skimmer transducer bonded inside the hull.
Clear bottom trace to about 30 meters at 25kn+. (Much, much deeper at slow speed.)
The only aspect of the performance likely to be effected is absolute range and if it's that deep it probably doesn't matter anyway
Do you have pictures for fitting?
Old 01 May 2017, 11:43   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
I've cut holes through my boats hulls before trying to get the most out of transducers and have found in most cases the simple external bracket works fine.

I would not recommend the 1kw transducers unless you like telling everyone you have a big one that cost more I fish for deep water fish using big electric reels with 1500m of line and 5kg sinkers, mostly in water 300-1000m deep. I ran both lowrances standard 200/50htz and airmars tm260 and found the much cheaper Lowrance sounder was consistently better.

I tried talking two of my mates from buying the tm260, one for Lowrance and the other for furono. Both regretted it and like me have since sold them on ebay.

What depth are you wanting to sound as I can read bottom even up to 300m at 40kmh on 200htz and much deeper on 50htz at lower speeds (from a $200 transducer) external bracket mount.

Jon
What tansducer is it? Chirp?
Old 01 May 2017, 13:14   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh View Post
What tansducer is it? Chirp?
Non chirp HST-DFSBL 50/200KHz T/M Deep Water Transducer
Old 01 May 2017, 14:21   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
Non chirp HST-DFSBL 50/200KHz T/M Deep Water Transducer
Up to 900 m specs! Impressive
Old 01 May 2017, 22:02   #17

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
You can easily check ultrasonic sensors function by holding it in place on the inside of the hull with some acoustic couplant (ky jelly is fine ) ,this will let you see what results will be like and you can find the best spot and silicone or araldite later ,
Old 02 May 2017, 02:39   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh View Post
Up to 900 m specs! Impressive
I havent really experimented to see what depths I can get from mine as I normally set the max depth to around 80m while in very deep water 2000m +. I set it at that depth so Im only searching the water column the game fish are likely to be in.

This is from my first hds, the lines down the screen are from where I start my engine to drive back up the drift. Note it still holding bottom at 40kmh from just an external mount transducer and all depths are in metres..

This is about as far as I bottom fish and to do this I use an ellectric reel with 10 lb sinkers.

This shows soft plastic lures dropping down and fish rising to meet the lure (still the old hds)

This is from the new hds gen 3, still early days for me but so far loving it, its great for locating new dive and fishing reef.

By the way you need a second transducer for sidescan, which I fixed directly under my hull without the need to use the brackets.