Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 140HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The ultimate solution to this is a proper through hull transducer mounted externally.
Interestingly Garmin suggest two through hull transducers if you have a large deadrise angle so the hull doesn't create a shadow. I suspect it again depends on whether you are using the side sonar function or not.

Old 14 December 2015, 16:25   #12

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
I've cut holes through my boats hulls before trying to get the most out of transducers and have found in most cases the simple external bracket works fine.

I would not recommend the 1kw transducers unless you like telling everyone you have a big one that cost more I fish for deep water fish using big electric reels with 1500m of line and 5kg sinkers, mostly in water 300-1000m deep. I ran both lowrances standard 200/50htz and airmars tm260 and found the much cheaper Lowrance sounder was consistently better.

I tried talking two of my mates from buying the tm260, one for Lowrance and the other for furono. Both regretted it and like me have since sold them on ebay.

What depth are you wanting to sound as I can read bottom even up to 300m at 40kmh on 200htz and much deeper on 50htz at lower speeds (from a $200 transducer) external bracket mount.

Jon

Old 01 May 2017, 07:40   #13

Town: Iksal village
Boat name: no name
Make: Zebec
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15 hp o.b. petrol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
Old Lowrance lcx16 with transom skimmer transducer bonded inside the hull.
Clear bottom trace to about 30 meters at 25kn+. (Much, much deeper at slow speed.)
The only aspect of the performance likely to be effected is absolute range and if it's that deep it probably doesn't matter anyway
Do you have pictures for fitting?
Old 01 May 2017, 07:43   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
I've cut holes through my boats hulls before trying to get the most out of transducers and have found in most cases the simple external bracket works fine.

I would not recommend the 1kw transducers unless you like telling everyone you have a big one that cost more I fish for deep water fish using big electric reels with 1500m of line and 5kg sinkers, mostly in water 300-1000m deep. I ran both lowrances standard 200/50htz and airmars tm260 and found the much cheaper Lowrance sounder was consistently better.

I tried talking two of my mates from buying the tm260, one for Lowrance and the other for furono. Both regretted it and like me have since sold them on ebay.

What depth are you wanting to sound as I can read bottom even up to 300m at 40kmh on 200htz and much deeper on 50htz at lower speeds (from a $200 transducer) external bracket mount.

Jon
What tansducer is it? Chirp?
Old 01 May 2017, 09:14   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh View Post
What tansducer is it? Chirp?
Non chirp HST-DFSBL 50/200KHz T/M Deep Water Transducer
Old 01 May 2017, 10:21   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
Non chirp HST-DFSBL 50/200KHz T/M Deep Water Transducer
Up to 900 m specs! Impressive
Old 01 May 2017, 18:02   #17

Town: suffolk
Boat name: highfield 5
Make: highfield
Engine: honda 90hp vtec
You can easily check ultrasonic sensors function by holding it in place on the inside of the hull with some acoustic couplant (ky jelly is fine ) ,this will let you see what results will be like and you can find the best spot and silicone or araldite later ,
Old 01 May 2017, 22:39   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh View Post
Up to 900 m specs! Impressive
I havent really experimented to see what depths I can get from mine as I normally set the max depth to around 80m while in very deep water 2000m +. I set it at that depth so Im only searching the water column the game fish are likely to be in.

This is from my first hds, the lines down the screen are from where I start my engine to drive back up the drift. Note it still holding bottom at 40kmh from just an external mount transducer and all depths are in metres..

This is about as far as I bottom fish and to do this I use an ellectric reel with 10 lb sinkers.

This shows soft plastic lures dropping down and fish rising to meet the lure (still the old hds)

This is from the new hds gen 3, still early days for me but so far loving it, its great for locating new dive and fishing reef.

By the way you need a second transducer for sidescan, which I fixed directly under my hull without the need to use the brackets.