Old 05 August 2002, 11:09   #1

Town: Brentwood, Essex
Make: Dell Quay Dory
Length: 13
Engine: Yamaha 40
Importing

Does anyone have any experience of importing either New or Second-Hand Ribs from South Africa? I understand that you can save a lot of money and I have a contact over there to assist with the purchase.
Does anyone know the VAT and import duties that Imay be liable for?
Old 05 August 2002, 11:41   #2

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
VAT will be at 17.5% of purchase price PLUS freight cost of getting it here. Duty will be 5% I believe although not sure about this. In addition all New vessels need to be CE approved so in theory you will have to get someone to certify it. Dunno how you go about this I'm afraid.

HTH,
Alan
Old 05 August 2002, 12:59   #3

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
I have brought two ribs in from SA over the last 4 years. Its pretty straightforward. Try and get the manucturer to supply you a 'waybill' with the value reflected much lower than you actually paid for it! I had no problem bringing into into Jersey as it is Vat free You could circumvent the entire customs/vat implication bringing it in here and then 'driving' it across the channel 'secretly'. A good person to assist you with these matters is Paul Lemmer (01883 622448 or paullemmer@ribnet.com).......nothing to do with this site, mind you.
Out of interest, who are you dealing with and have you bought or about to buy something?
Old 05 August 2002, 13:34   #4

Thanks for the info. I am new to ribbing and am just at the stage of choosing which rib to purchase, I intend to visit the Southampton Boat show next month as most of the big names will be their.

Ribeye could be a main one as I know they are now making them in South Africa. I have been thinking about the new 5.8 metre Ribeye Playtime.

The tip about Jersey is of great interest to me as I had been thinking along these lines. A boat supplier in Rock,Cornwall tipped us off about the cost saving of purchasing over their. Boats are about 1/3rd of the UK price.

I have family and friends in South Africa who would help with the shipping and a quick holiday early next year would give me enough time to sort out the order/purchase/shipping.
Old 05 August 2002, 13:35   #5

Charles, which manufacturer did you choose from South Africa?
Old 05 August 2002, 15:55   #6

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Why not fly to SA, buy the RIB then sail it back? Just come out of Jo'burg, turn right and follow the coast. When you get to Tangier go due North for a few miles till you see the Spanish coast. Keep going North following the coast and you will get to the Channel Islands. Charles can keep a look out for you and direct you back to the UK. Simple! Even with the cost of fuel you should save a few quid.

Keith (ever the helpful chap) Hart
Old 05 August 2002, 16:42   #7

Keith, as ever veeeeery helpful

Rob, a good friend of mine who I served in the South African Defence Force with is the designer and builder of the Hysucat (Hydrofoil Supported Catamaran) in South Africa. I bought a 6.5m RIB through him and soon 'outgrew' the boat. He built me another multi-hull RIB which unfortunately did not work as well due to no foils being fitted. I am from Cape Town and would recommend you get in touch with him when you are in CT. I assume you would be going to CT and not Jo'burg as another BGShas suggested! (Britain's Greatest Sibster!) There are two in Jersey at the moment and the owner's are delighted with them. The Hysucat is definitely worth considering as an all round wonderful family Rib. Go here: http://www.ribmagazine.com/hysucat6.5.htm
Old 06 August 2002, 08:00   #8

Thanks for all the advise so far, having got hooked on boating in my 'Dell Quay Dory 13' I am now ready to start choosing a rib for next season. I shall be combing these forums for tips and advise over the coming months and then hopefully will have a good idea of the rib to purchase - with any luck I can import it from SA and save a bunch of loot along the way!!
Old 06 August 2002, 08:28   #9

Ahhh happy memories..........

of Dell Quay dories! Learned my powerboating as a yoof on a 13ft dory as Rescue Boat for the local sailing club. Last experience of one was in a 17ft ex Military jobbie going through (Not over!) 2 ft waves off Felixstowe on a Powerboat training course. Certainly proved the point that a Deep V with some nice tubes around it was the way to go!

Alan
Old 06 August 2002, 09:16   #10

Given your experience of both Dories and Ribs could you confirm to me and my wife!!!!!!!!! that a Rib will be a slightly drier boat to ride in. We have given up wearing anything but wetsuits in my Dory as we get a good soaking each outing unless it is a totally calm day.
Old 06 August 2002, 09:56   #11

Eeeeer, ummmm??? There are no guarantees re staying drier. Depends on the rib you go for, sea conditions etc. Given Alan's experience he would probably agree that a rib is certainly drier than a dorey.
Old 06 August 2002, 10:57   #12

The only guarantee of staying dry in a RIB.....

is by having a Cabin ala Mike Garside and Magellan Alpha!

All joking aside, a RIB will be a lot drier, a lot more capable, a lot more comfortable and a lot more fun than a Dory. What you will find is that as your confidence increases you will go out in rougher conditions and try just that little bit harder until you really manage to cock it up and stuff into a wave. At this point you will be completely soaked but smiling!

In this country most of the time you will have to wear some form of weather protection. Ribbing is something like I motorcycling inasmuch as it can be a bright sunny day but when you are doing 35kts with little protection you need a few more wind and waterproof layers on! You'll see people in RIBS wearing anything from sailing waterproofs to full drysuits depending on conditions. What usually happens to me is that I decide that its not rough enough to need my drysuit and promptly get a large dollop of water down my neck and spend the rest of the day being damp and uncomfortable.

There is a huge amount of advice here on the forums on boats, equipment etc. The only thing I would really advise on in RIB selection is make sure that a) you get a proper Deep V RIB rather than a medium/shallow V and b) it has proper jockey seats on rather than benches. They really do you no favours in the rough.

Charles is your man on all things South African. He just needs to sell that hairdressers gin palace of his and get a proper boat again!
Old 06 August 2002, 19:30   #13

Town: ireland
Make: lencraft rib
Length: 5m +
Engine: yamaha 80hp four str
Hi,
Check out falconinflatables.co.za/ Will give you a qoute and details of shipping via container to UK or Ireland.Prices appear
very keen.
Alan.
Old 07 August 2002, 08:21   #14

[He just needs to sell that hairdressers gin palace of his and get a proper boat again!]

Now, now Alan.... I have finally decided what to do. Attached picture is my new boat with an 8.1m Scorpion in the tender garage. That should sort me out nicely?!