Old 18 October 2008, 10:15   #21

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
............rather than using your usual "city boy" prejudices!
Although I don't agree with all of your thoughts on this subject, I did think that you were making some valid points. Unfortunately, you couldn't resist the added idiotic remark, as usual.
Old 18 October 2008, 11:36   #22
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
possible alternative

sarah,

have you considered just bareboat chartering to get you started. that way you can test the whole, use it only when pre-booked, concept out. I would have thought you were looking £300 ish per day for a weekend. (+fuel). Not as cheap per day as the shared use model if you use it for the full number of days.

But without the commitment of a one year contract if you decise either ribbing or that occasional use doesn't work for you.
Old 18 October 2008, 12:00   #23

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah_muller View Post
Wow, it's very one sided. It seems that people don't really like or perhaps understand the sharing (maybe I can get some marketing/PR work from them). Also as Polwart lists the 'other' costs of owning a RIB they seem to pile up and with all this in mind the fixed fee deal is a good idea... isn't it? If it's £495 per month that's £82.50 per day less fuel.. That's a cheap family day out! Isn't it?
The big cost of owning any boat is not the initial purchase. There are some great deals going at the moment - it is very much a buyers market so you could get yourself on the water with your own boat that suits what you want to do with it.

Anything you can do to control the "cost of use" will help, this includes the location of the boat and or the ability to trailer the boat to other locations. With the various share/lease schemes the boat is designed to be marketable and not affordable.
Old 18 October 2008, 13:57   #24

Town: Surrey

Hi again,

Malthouse, what do you mean they are designed to be marketable and not affordable? If I was to buy a Cobra RIB it would cost me about £600 per month on HP with a 20% deposit according to Lombard. I'm not saying this is what I would do because of the interest but £495 all in (RIBshare or Lynx) is more affordable than £600 PM for just the boat.

Polwart, bareboat is an option but this year I got out on other boats about 20 times (not all RIBs though) in the summer period so that way would quickly mount up so not to keen on it and I've had a taster and know what to expect and want more! ha ha.

RIB stands for Rigid Inflatable Boat doesn't it, so if it's rigid why are you lot harking on about the weather, reality check, this is the UK, we don't get that stuff anymore.. ; )

I'm a "city girl" but I'm not on millions per year bonuses ha ha and I wouldn't want to waste money not using something I buy/share/lease.

So looking at a Cobra 755 (you might of guessed but I like the look of that boat) what would dry stack cost per month? cleaning etc too? RIBshare list these costs:

Boat insurance - £50 per month
Marina fees - £250 per month
Maintenance & cleaning - £40 per month

Total - £340 per month

Are these costs accurate?

Sarah
Old 18 October 2008, 13:57   #25
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
One other point

I've been out on a cruise last year where one of the other ribs was on a shared ownership, the owner for that day drove like a total prat hammered the boat, engine etc all day.
I recently had lunch with another ribber who was with us that day and we both remembered the driving and agreed you wouldn't want to be one of the other 3 owners
Old 18 October 2008, 13:58   #26

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
£495 per month just gone , its like renting a house when you could have a mortgage and buy it .
one good point about boats is that they hold thier value very well especially if you buy used , I would rather buy the boat or even take out a loan for the monthly amount if you don't have the capital , at least you will get a good lump back from your investment .
Old 18 October 2008, 14:39   #27

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
On the flip side a lot of light aircraft are group owned , BUT , to fly one you have to be traained & checked out by the CAA. In this way the abuse is less , but still happens. Boats however need no training ( in theory) , no experiance , and no being checked out.

As a try out I'd say a good idea & then if you like it buy a boat. If you dont like it you wont be loads out of pocket, with a boat you dont want ,& aren't using .
Old 18 October 2008, 14:42   #28

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Sarah,

Rib Shack seem to have got it right, there is a guy called Andy B on here who has a share in a 6.5 Ribeye called Darwin. I know that he raves about it and the issues about having the boat when you want were not a problem because I think that Ribshack facilitates it for people to use one of the other shared boats when theirs is already booked.

I know that Andy never had a problem getting a boat when he needed.

There have been a couple of articles about Ribshack in Rib International Magazine if you are interested I could dig them out for you. If you PM me you email I will send them to you.

It is certainly a carefree way to get into Ribbing

Chris

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2008, 14:47   #29

Quote:
Malthouse, what do you mean they are designed to be marketable and not affordable?
If you were buying your own boat you would get the right engine and the right electronics based on your planned use and budget.

The RIBs you are likely to see available as part of a business will not have been equipped in such a way, more emphasis will have been put on appeal than on running costs.

I imagine.
Old 18 October 2008, 14:50   #30

I'm gonna be as blunt as a turd here, but this is smacking of champagne taste on beer money.
Sarah, your speaking of £45k Cobra ribs, but trying to do the whole thing on the cheap. Why not buy a 5yo Ribcraft 585 for £15k, run it, see how it goes and then flog it for £14.5k 2yrs later. It'll be yours to use as and when you like, dry stacked at your convenience. I'm sure it would cost you less then a sharing scheme.
Also, if you're spending so much time on yachts etc. belonging to others, when do you intend to use this rib?
Old 18 October 2008, 14:55   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
I'm gonna be as blunt as a turd here.
Thats what I was trying to do, but failed miserably.

Your spot on, all of a nice boat for 15k.

Or, a 25% share in a nicer(?) boat for the same.

Old 18 October 2008, 14:55   #32

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
I'm gonna be as blunt as a turd here
We expect nothing less

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2008, 15:04   #33
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Polwart, bareboat is an option but this year I got out on other boats about 20 times (not all RIBs though) in the summer period so that way would quickly mount up so not to keen on it and I've had a taster and know what to expect and want more! ha ha.
OK. Were those days all at the weekend? I bet you don't get 20 weekend days in the summer with the sharing schemes.

Quote:
why are you lot harking on about the weather
rain at 30 knots hurts, and whilst some people actually enjoy their boating more with a bit of wind - it can certainly get too choppy for family boating.

Quote:
So looking at a Cobra 755 (you might of guessed but I like the look of that boat)
I think you may just have answered your own question about marketability over affordability. A share company could just as easily use e.g. a humber or other lower cost rib - that would make it more affordable.

Quote:
what would dry stack cost per month?
I've got a feeling that "proper" dry stack on the south coast is similar cost to a marina berth. But their may be cheaper options at a local boat yard?

Quote:
RIBshare list these costs:

Boat insurance - £50 per month
Marina fees - £250 per month
Maintenance & cleaning - £40 per month

Total - £340 per month

Are these costs accurate?
they are cetainly not crazy. You would save on the marina costs if you were only using it in the summer and stored ashore in the winter.
Old 18 October 2008, 15:12   #34
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by malthouse View Post
Or, a 25% share in a nicer(?) boat for the same.
Actually she seems to be leaning towards the RibShare Cobras - so she won't own any of it.
Old 18 October 2008, 15:22   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Actually she seems to be leaning towards the RibShare Cobras - so she won't own any of it.
That's cool, Ribshare will be glad of the business.
What happen's to one's share should they go bell-up?
Old 18 October 2008, 15:28   #36

Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: True Blue
Make: Humber ocean pro 6.3
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 150 opti
Quote:
That's cool, Ribshare will be glad of the business.
Sounds like money in the bank! well, an Icelandic bank.
Old 18 October 2008, 15:31   #37
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
the article in RI about ribshack suggested that the ownership/sharing agreement was between the parties/owners and not with ribshack - and ribshack were just providing a management function so in that case you should be OK if they went bust. with the other companies you don't own a share in the boat at all you are simply paying a monthly "rental" fee so if they go bust you will only be exposed to one months cost at most (plus any damage deposit and joining fees they have).
Old 18 October 2008, 17:05   #38

Town: Surrey

Good point Polwart but I guess if they did use a cheaper RIB (making it more affordable) it wouldn't be as desirable.. Is that what your saying? That's what Lynx sell themselves on... the fact scorpian RIBs are the best and most can't afford them so they offer shares/leasing.

Lot's of things to think about. It would be good to speak to that Mark B guy I think as he's a RIB Shack customer and could give a more balanced arguement for sharing. Perhaps he'll see this ha ha.

So why do you lot sway towards a 6m RIB? Is cost the main factor or is it to do with handling etc?

Sarah
Old 18 October 2008, 17:35   #39

Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: True Blue
Make: Humber ocean pro 6.3
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 150 opti
I guess us LOT sway to wards the 6 metres size because it is big enough to handle most condition and as big as you want to be towing and storing but if you are not looking to tow or store, generally as long as you go for a good hull, the bigger, the better
Old 18 October 2008, 17:46   #40

Quote:
It would be good to speak to that Mark B guy I think as he's a RIB Shack customer and could give a more balanced arguement for sharing.
A balanced argument cant be for one thing or the other, surely?

You asked a load of RIB owners what was better in their experience, owning or hiring... Guess what, we all think we did the right thing.

Most people who want to use a RIB a lot are not so driven by desire or prestige as much as some other groups of boaties, there are less creature comforts and more raw exhilaration. (That rubber trimmed gin palace with the triple glazing and under powered engine excluded, of course.)