Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 18 October 2008, 18:15   #41
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah_muller View Post
Thanks everyone,

It seems that people don't really like or perhaps understand the sharing (maybe I can get some marketing/PR work from them).
Sarah
I'd guess you could safely send them your first invoice any time soon......

Old 18 October 2008, 20:44   #42

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
That's what Lynx sell themselves on... the fact scorpian RIBs are the best and most can't afford them.

Sarah
Who's PR have you been lapping up?

Lexus are the best cars and most can't afford them.
Old 19 October 2008, 17:13   #43

Town: Fleet
Boat name: Hudson
Make: Ribeye Sport
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 150
Quote:
Hi again,

Malthouse, what do you mean they are designed to be marketable and not affordable? If I was to buy a Cobra RIB it would cost me about £600 per month on HP with a 20% deposit according to Lombard. I'm not saying this is what I would do because of the interest but £495 all in (RIBshare or Lynx) is more affordable than £600 PM for just the boat.

Polwart, bareboat is an option but this year I got out on other boats about 20 times (not all RIBs though) in the summer period so that way would quickly mount up so not to keen on it and I've had a taster and know what to expect and want more! ha ha.

RIB stands for Rigid Inflatable Boat doesn't it, so if it's rigid why are you lot harking on about the weather, reality check, this is the UK, we don't get that stuff anymore.. ; )

I'm a "city girl" but I'm not on millions per year bonuses ha ha and I wouldn't want to waste money not using something I buy/share/lease.

So looking at a Cobra 755 (you might of guessed but I like the look of that boat) what would dry stack cost per month? cleaning etc too? RIBshare list these costs:

Boat insurance - £50 per month
Marina fees - £250 per month
Maintenance & cleaning - £40 per month

Total - £340 per month

Are these costs accurate?

Sarah
Sarah

I'm one of the RibShack owners. I'm happy to take any of your questions here or offline by Private Message.

I can say I'm very happy with the package. It suits us very well and although nominally it's a 1 week in four deal, the ability to switch or use boats at other times works very well - never had a problem getting a boat when we want one. And, the lack of having to faff about at the beginning and end of the day is outstanding. (Some people do enjoy this - I did when I had the time - but frankly these days with a family I'd rather be on the water.)

For your and others info:
- This is an ownership scheme so you share buys you 25% of the boat - it is not owned by the management company so there is no exposure to the company holding your asset/cash (only to the inevitable depreciation). It is not a 'x days a year' deal that you book on a boat you don't own.
- They are not aiming to sell the cheapest ribs on the market although I do know they are looking to get into smaller boats for those who want them. Their segment is the leisure market not basic utility boats.
- They are fully specced up with necessary high quality nav and safety gear. Probably to a level a bit higher than I'd have gone for if I'd bought my own outright so that's a bonus.
- When I looked at ownership, I quickly realised that drystacking alone would cost me more than the monthly management fee - and that fee covers everything apart from fuel.

In summary, I know I wouldn't have (unfortunately) got anymore use out of a boat I fully owned. In practice, it actually encourages us to get a bit more organised. Works for us
Old 19 October 2008, 18:13   #44

Town: Enfield/Switzerland
Boat name: Zonneschijn II/Vixen
Make: Shakespeare/Avon
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evin' 175 DI /Yam 90
MMSI: 235055605
Sarah,

I own my boat, and perhaps am the perfect example of someone who should go for the organised boatshare type agreement.

Some thoughts:-

I keep the boat in Southampton at Drivers Dry Berthing. It's a 7m RIB and costs about £1500 a year for storage, plus about £40 for launch and recovery when I want to use it. It's not drystack, but does offer the turn up and go solution. I called driving down Saturday morning at 0845 and she was in the water waiting for me at 0930. It does not always work so perfectly, and more notice is definitely better, but a pretty good service nonetheless.

Insurance probably costs me £400 a year.
Servicing about the same, plus maybe some additional repairs etc as and when required.

The problem for me is this. I work abroad, and come back to UK many weekends a year, and stay in north london when I am here. I don't live close to the boat. If anything needs doing, I need to drive for 2 hours to do it, and don't necessarily manage to use the boat that time either. If I need it serviced, I either stump up extra to have someone collect/deliver the boat back, or have to go out of my way myself so get things done. If I have an electrical problem, or have to fix the trailer, it's a hassle. One of the sharing schemes could be so hassle free in comparison.

But, I have a 7m rib I can turn up and use, don't have to launch etc and I love it. That said, wen I tot up all the costs and add in the inconvenience, maybe I would sway towards the shared ownership idea. Then again, I'd also worry about how others were treating the boat when they use it, so on balance I am not sure. (Sorry, no great conclusion).

One important questions is how often do you plan on using the boat. 6 days a month or 42 days a year or whatever is a great idea, but is it realistic? Twice a month if I am lucky, and in winter maybe once a month. Realistically, many people probably don't use their own boat more than 20 days a year, and that will be a lot for some.
Old 19 October 2008, 19:41   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Harvey View Post
Sarah,

I own my boat, and perhaps am the perfect example of someone who should go for the organised boatshare type agreement.

Some thoughts:-

I keep the boat in Southampton at Drivers Dry Berthing. It's a 7m RIB and costs about £1500 a year for storage, plus about £40 for launch and recovery when I want to use it. It's not drystack, but does offer the turn up and go solution. I called driving down Saturday morning at 0845 and she was in the water waiting for me at 0930. It does not always work so perfectly, and more notice is definitely better, but a pretty good service nonetheless.

Insurance probably costs me £400 a year.
Servicing about the same, plus maybe some additional repairs etc as and when required.

The problem for me is this. I work abroad, and come back to UK many weekends a year, and stay in north london when I am here. I don't live close to the boat. If anything needs doing, I need to drive for 2 hours to do it, and don't necessarily manage to use the boat that time either. If I need it serviced, I either stump up extra to have someone collect/deliver the boat back, or have to go out of my way myself so get things done. If I have an electrical problem, or have to fix the trailer, it's a hassle. One of the sharing schemes could be so hassle free in comparison.

But, I have a 7m rib I can turn up and use, don't have to launch etc and I love it. That said, wen I tot up all the costs and add in the inconvenience, maybe I would sway towards the shared ownership idea. Then again, I'd also worry about how others were treating the boat when they use it, so on balance I am not sure. (Sorry, no great conclusion).

One important questions is how often do you plan on using the boat. 6 days a month or 42 days a year or whatever is a great idea, but is it realistic? Twice a month if I am lucky, and in winter maybe once a month. Realistically, many people probably don't use their own boat more than 20 days a year, and that will be a lot for some.
Interesting points. Sharing schemes vs ownership appears to be an option for what we would call down here 'absentee owners'. We live a mile from the sea, the boat lives in a shed in the garden and there are no sharing schemes within 250 miles of us, so anything other than ownership is not an option. I do know that trying to own and maintain a boat 'remotely', as in leaving it with a yard to take care of it, can be fraught with problems. Perhaps, for such a user, a scheme would have its merits.
Old 19 October 2008, 20:11   #46

Town: Enfield/Switzerland
Boat name: Zonneschijn II/Vixen
Make: Shakespeare/Avon
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evin' 175 DI /Yam 90
MMSI: 235055605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
We live a mile from the sea
Lucky you

We always used to keep boats at home. But now I tend to go at very short notice, so often just go down on my Jack Jones, so launching a 7m rib is not ideal. The SR5. I had was great for that, but I wanted more!!! Like all things, there are positives and negatives.
Old 19 October 2008, 20:41   #47
scm

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Lynx 1, 2, 3
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 275
Sarah, (or anyone else that wants to join the Lynx Club..)

Why not come down to Lymington and i will take you out in one of our boats and explain what we offer?

There are no catches, we do not offer you ownership of the boat in any way and charge roughly what you would pay for a berth in Lymington anyway. A 8.1 Scorpion costs £58161.00 out of the factory Ex VAT, then add all the equipment to make it a coded (for commercial use).

It is not a cheap boat and you will understand what i am talking about when you have been out on one. In fact, go out on all the options available and you will get a feel for which one suits you best.

Any questions please feel free to call.

Regards
Stuart
07968 947609
Old 19 October 2008, 23:23   #48

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedajim View Post
I've been out on a cruise last year where one of the other ribs was on a shared ownership, the owner for that day drove like a total prat hammered the boat, engine etc all day.
That's exactly what would put me off shared ownership of anything, whether it was a boat, a plane or a vehicle.

Otherwise the idea of turning up and having had somebody do all the crap bits and then leaving them to do the crap bits at the end sounds great - there are a lot of days I feel like just going out for an hour or so but can't be bothered because it takes longer than that to prepare and then wash up at the end.

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2008, 06:17   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
That's exactly what would put me off shared ownership of anything, whether it was a boat, a plane or a vehicle.

Otherwise the idea of turning up and having had somebody do all the crap bits and then leaving them to do the crap bits at the end sounds great - there are a lot of days I feel like just going out for an hour or so but can't be bothered because it takes longer than that to prepare and then wash up at the end.
That's pretty much how it panned out with some guys I know. One was Mr.Fussy, the other left the boat with beer cans etc strewn all over it.
Old 20 October 2008, 07:46   #50

Town: Guernsey
Boat name: Monkey Nutz
Make: Cougar R8 Sport
Engine: 350Sci Verado
Hi Sarah
Just to put my two cents in..
Owning a boat becomes a lifestyle, which is incredibly enjoyable. If you are buying a new/used rib the depreciation is generally quite small, so if ribbing wasn't for you, sell it! you wont loose too much. Buying an Rib this time of year gives you an enormous choice and some great end of year specials. Sharing a boat for me is a no no. I love my boat too much and would not like the thought of anybody else using it.

Tony
Old 20 October 2008, 08:49   #51

Town: Surrey
Length: no boat

Hope you all had a good weekend!

When I said a balanced arguement I meant from my point of view i.e. I'm looking to see pros and cons of sharing vs buying. I understand that I'm asking mostly RIB owners so it's not going to be balanced. I wasn't being literal though so apologies.

I just want to say I think you have all been very help ful and here's a summary of what you've all said:

OWNING:

- The boat use is flexible and can be used wherever (seems to be most important).
- Like a mortgage rather than a rented house i.e. you own it.
- Fun to tinker with.. it's yours.
- Don't have to worry about petrol heads driving the boat like morons.
- Use it when you like.

SHARING:

- Convienient service - turn key solution.
- Lower cost alternative to dry stack / marina berths
- Managed solution so it's clean and tidy (or should be)
- Insurance / training etc is included
- Limited to set locations but some offer trailer option to other destinations (lynx)

So all in all I see that it is a fairly balanced arguement for and against and at the end of the day it will come down to choice but I must say convienience is probably the most important factor to me and to be able to turn up 3-4 times per month (unlikely to do more than that) and go is swaying my thinking towards sharing (or confirming my thinking ; P ) via a professional, reliable and proven management team be it RIB Shack, RIBshare or Lynx. I guess I have the cold winter months to make my choice and go shopping for all the gear (with some idea).

Let me know if I've missed anything!

Many thanks,

Sarah
Let me know if I've missed anything!
Old 20 October 2008, 09:38   #52

I agree with Tony, luvvin' one's boat is a big part of it, but that could be a bloke thing.
Sarah, are you restricted to certain areas of use with a scheme, or would you be permitted to trailer elsewhere in the country?

As an example, friends of ours trailer their boats to Cornwall and we cruise en mass to the Scillies which is fantastic. Would you, on a shared scheme, be able to do this? (photo required).
Old 20 October 2008, 12:03   #53

Town: Lymington
Boat name: rib-it
Make: Scopion
Engine: Suzuki 250
Just going to add my little bit now I am sporting a trade membership.

So far the thread has been talking about boat share v ownership but not much about hire or charter. Offering the same perks as ownership but no money up front, no contract holding you in and yes you can take it on the trailer to where ever you like so long as you bring it back. We also offer Scorpons to rent which are very highly regarded in the rib world for there build quality and sea keeping.

I am not the only person offering this service so shop around look at what is going to suit you best. Make sure you get out on the boats first, they may look nice and shinny on the outside but on the water may not met expectations. ( At Rib-it we hope we do )

Hope to speak soon.

Simon

www.rib-it.com
simonnud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2008, 15:47   #54

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
OK, time for my 2p's worth..... (literally! )

I estimate by the time I have finished, I'll have spent around £2500 - £3k on the hardware. Including a new braked trialer. (without the trailer I'd be looking at about £1800 mark) If all goes to plan, that will keep me going until the engine dies.

The catch? Any of the McRibbers who have sen my floating museum will verify it's not the most asthetic inflatable on the Clyde, and it certianly isn't the quietest or most fuel efficient engine. (But I expect nothing less from a 2 cyl 50 designed before the 1970s fuel crisis!). As I enjoy restoring stuff like this, It doesn't bother me, and it will eventually reincarnate itself as a far shinier boat. (New "toob / hull restoration" thread imminent). Engine will be upgraded / replaced as & when I find something more appropriate.

As for the weather thing, that's why I bought a rib!

Final thought on the matter: Hire car driver.
Old 20 October 2008, 16:48   #55

Town: Fleet
Boat name: Hudson
Make: Ribeye Sport
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 150
Quote:
I agree with Tony, luvvin' one's boat is a big part of it, but that could be a bloke thing.
Sarah, are you restricted to certain areas of use with a scheme, or would you be permitted to trailer elsewhere in the country?

As an example, friends of ours trailer their boats to Cornwall and we cruise en mass to the Scillies which is fantastic. Would you, on a shared scheme, be able to do this? (photo required).
Not sure about all schemes but ours (RibShack) certainly allows you the flexibility to trail the boat to where you want and also offer a delivery & collect service. We took advantage of it this year and spent 10 days down in Cornwall (on Fal out of Mylor). I anticipate doing similar next year.

I understand one owner took a trailed a boat down to south of France last yr for 3 weeks
Old 20 October 2008, 17:34   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardB View Post
We took advantage of it this year and spent 10 days down in Cornwall (on Fal out of Mylor). I anticipate doing similar next year.
Let me know when you're down next year. I'll go away for 10 days.

Joking, We could hook-up for a run or two.
Old 20 October 2008, 17:50   #57

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
.. I'll go away for 10 days.....
What, leave Cornwall?
Old 20 October 2008, 20:51   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
What, leave Cornwall?
Nooo,no,no, no. I was thinking more Fowey.
Old 20 October 2008, 22:19   #59

Town: bedford
Make: tornado
Engine: outboard 60hp merc
Hi Sarah

Yes I think it is one sided. However I think it could work for you as clearly some people find it a suitable arrangement. Just to put some of the costs in perspective, I have a small 5mtr Tornado rib that I bought new in 98 with a 2 stroke 60hp engine, it costs £130 for insurance, I recently ordered all the parts to do a complete service of the engine from Key Part in Watford for £72 inc p&p. I guess once in a while a buy some new wheel bearings, I think flares every three years £30/£40 and I have just ordered a new Fix VHF (£120) The last one only lasted 15yrs! Really it does not cost alot of money at all when you think about it, I keep it at home in the garage, which it just fits in. The trailer is an unbraked one, as the complete rig is well under 750kgs and it can be towed behind a normal car. Clearly you need to buy the boat in the first place and even small ones cost a reasonable amount of money particularly new. The added advantage of a small boat is that they are more easily coped with by one person, on a decent slip I can launch and recover single handed. Yes I do all the work myself ( usually in my double garage) but I enjoy it and get great personal statisfaction in the process. I did once share a boat with a member of my family and that certainly didn't work out.

If you do buy into this share scheme it would be great to hear how it all goes.

Good Luck

DaveJ

Quote:
Thanks everyone,

Wow, it's very one sided. It seems that people don't really like or perhaps understand the sharing (maybe I can get some marketing/PR work from them). From what I can see, RIB Shack offer a fixed monthly fee where at the end of the agreement the boat is sold and a fraction of the sale price is divided between the members whereas RIBshare costs £495 PM for 6 days use per month (with a bigger RIB) and they offer more of a leasing agreement where the operation is effectively the same but it's not an ownership operation, the share implies that you are sharing the RIB not owning it so that could remove some of the falling out issues? More like a fast car club.. What do you think? RIBshare also offer a replacement RIB service so if there are problems you get a different RIB and their boats are on pontoons so it's as they call it an 'arrive and drive' service. Keeping a RIB on my drive and having to launch it, trailor it etc is one of the put-offs of owning one. Being able to turn up and drive then leave everything else to the experts sounds brilliant. Also as Polwart lists the 'other' costs of owning a RIB they seem to pile up and with all this in mind the fixed fee deal is a good idea... isn't it? If it's £495 per month that's £82.50 per day less fuel.. That's a cheap family day out! Isn't it?

I'm still not sure... more help needed ; )

Sarah
Old 21 October 2008, 05:36   #60
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Nooo,no,no, no. I was thinking more Fowey.
Used to be such a nice place but we we're put off by the camp site yobs and there all night parties