Old 09 September 2006, 16:52   #1

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
I'm impressed!

I'm sure this isn't news to many of you but....

You know how it is when you see a product advertised with claims x y and z and then you go and buy it and it is no better than what you've always been using and bears no resemblance to the advert.

Well I did think that about Rib Revive, looked at the pic on the website and thought "yeah yeah I bet that was set up".

Not a bit of it. I've just got some for the tubes on my Humber which have probably never been cleaned, and it's magic stuff! With a few minutes work I ended up with something like the advert photo - see attached.

Don't know what other tube cleaners are like but this stuff is bloody marvellous. Hard work though - I've done one side now and I'm knackered and have used both packs of kitchen scourers I bought this morning! so need to get some more before I can carry on, oh and some feeling back in my arms would be nice too.

Great stuff - I'm impressed - it looks nearly like new, much better than I thought it would
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0237 (Small).JPG
Views:	531
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	22014  
Old 09 September 2006, 18:06   #2

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Stephen,

I've used Roguewaves magic little formula which is very much the same apparently and yes its very good.

Makes any cuts you have on your hands sting though.
Old 09 September 2006, 18:28   #3

Mmmm it certainly does - I have just finished the other side so now done everything above the rubbing strake on both sides and there are a few raw bits from the scourers! (now used 12 scourers I think...)

The bottom half is going to be even harder though - its a bit green in places... I foresee a thinking cap being donned to come up with some way of doing the job with a power tool without electrocuting myself - does anybody have a submersible orbital sander?
Old 09 September 2006, 19:02   #4

Stephen,

Haven't you got any Poles you could pay. A fiver that would be well spent me thinks.
Old 10 September 2006, 11:33   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles
Stephen,

Haven't you got any Poles you could pay. A fiver that would be well spent me thinks.
No. They are all in England

I wish I did though, my hands are killing me this morning also it seems to have "restored" the skin on my hands as well, methinks gloves are in order next time around, I did start with a pair of gloves on but I took them off because I couldn't grip the scourer well enough. Not going to be doing any more today that is for sure, I will just have to sit back and admire the orangeness
Old 10 September 2006, 12:06   #6
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
I guess there's nowhere in the Falklands that you can buy a cheap and nasty cordless orbital sander then?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2006, 12:32   #7

Hmmm there's a thought, never thought of a cordless one, mine is 240v so a bit risky! It would have been OK on top of the tube but I've done that bit...

Probably not - more likely to be "expensive and nasty" - but I'll have a scout round, thanks for the idea

The other thing I am going to try is get a block of 2x4" timber, smooth the edges off and staple the scourer to it with a staple gun, that way I will have something decent to grip with my hands that isn't trying to remove all my skin, it might be an improvement I think, and use one of the sponge-backed ones for the fiddly bits around the grab handles and places like that.
Old 10 September 2006, 13:14   #8

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster
No. They are all in England

I wish I did though, my hands are killing me this morning also it seems to have "restored" the skin on my hands as well, methinks gloves are in order next time around, I did start with a pair of gloves on but I took them off because I couldn't grip the scourer well enough. Not going to be doing any more today that is for sure, I will just have to sit back and admire the orangeness
Hang on a mo. A few weeks ago when I was comparing Ribshops product to my own home-made he said because his was "specially made for ribs" it didn't do that.....
Old 10 September 2006, 16:04   #9

I think it was more the fact that I wore out eight (I think it was 8 anyway) scourers because the thing was sooo filthy - the scourers were doing the same to my hands as they were to the tubes! Its no worse (in fact probably better) than any household detergent if you did that amount of scrubbing with it on your hands except that normal household detergents won't touch the stuff on my tubes, because I tried it a couple of months ago. I'd love to know what's in this stuff, I'm wondering now, what else I might be able to clean with it, might try some on the kitchen floor

Ooooh it does look all lovely and orange now

Well the top half does anyway ... the bottom half can wait till the skin grows back
Old 10 September 2006, 16:49   #10

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
A safe and efficient orbital sander would be a pneumatic one, but you need access to a fairly large compressor. Local car repair shop maybe?
Old 10 September 2006, 19:38   #11

Now there's another cracking idea, thanks

As it happens I have access to a 30cfm (approx) three phase compressor at work - not sure if there is an air sander around or not, but I'll have a look....

Otherwise I will probably end up trying the sander I have using the electrical safety equivalent of "squinting while angle grinding to save going to get the goggles". Although one problem is that I can't find any scourers that are big enough to cover the whole flat thingy (tech term) on the sander.

So if I disappear without trace leaving a half orange boat you'll know what happened
Old 13 September 2006, 23:35   #12

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Jeez, you don't half like giving yourself hard work. Just wipe it with thinners. I see your boat is wet. Make sure it is dry first.
Old 14 September 2006, 00:38   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker
Jeez, you don't half like giving yourself hard work. Just wipe it with thinners. I see your boat is wet. Make sure it is dry first.
It was only wet because I hosed off the Rib Revive.

Surely thinners will only "thin" whatever they are intended to thin e.g. if you try and dissolve mud in methylated spirits it won't work...? What sort of thinners had you got in mind? Anything that makes life easier is worth a try
Old 13 October 2006, 16:49   #14

Just used some of that RIB Revive on my 18 month old tubes and it made tham like brand spanking new. I am well impressed to say the least.

"It does what it says on the can".

Excellent stuff. Need to buy some more now.
Old 14 October 2006, 04:12   #15

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
Hard work though - I've done one side now and I'm knackered and have used both packs of kitchen scourers I bought this morning! so need to get some more before I can carry on, oh and some feeling back in my arms would be nice too.
You might try using a circular buffing pad on a chordless drill instead of your arms. Use it at low speed and I suspect you'll make short work of this job.
Old 14 October 2006, 11:51   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
You might try using a circular buffing pad on a chordless drill instead of your arms. Use it at low speed and I suspect you'll make short work of this job.
Good idea, cheers

Hope it does not get that dirty again though!