Old 29 August 2004, 10:03   #1

Town: Newcastle upon Tyne
Boat name: Happy Hours
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300 Verado
MMSI: 235040122
If you had 35,000

And a desire to use a RIB to lap the UK, what would you buy? Would prefer to leave the boat in the water for 9 months of the year and the budget needs to include electronics.. Thoughts would be much appreciated..

Ollie

Old 29 August 2004, 11:37   #2

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
If I had 35k to spend on a RIB I'd be a happy man!

No question. Scorpion 7.5, 8.1 or 8.5m. Would probably get you new petrol engined 7.5m with electronics and poss. a trailer. Either that or if you are lucky and find one a used one with inboard diesel.

I've been around Britain on a Scorpion and its the only way to travel!

HTH, Alan

Old 29 August 2004, 13:33   #3

Spec wise I have been thinking the diesels make sense for reliability and running costs but never used one in a RIB so unsure as to their comparable performance. What seating/deck layout would you look at? I am planning on doing the trip with a two man crew but will obviously use the boat for more familly biased fun with skii's etc at other times so will need the boat to feel refined as well as functional. Do owners ever keep their boats in the water throughout the summer season? I have never seen a rib anti fouled, does it happen?

Sorry to ask so many questions but I am trying to gain as much independent advice as possible before pouring my savings into another boat....

Ollie
Old 29 August 2004, 13:43   #4

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
SCORPION simply the BEST!
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2004, 14:05   #5

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Why not a Revenger? Lapping Britain seems to be their speciality!!!
Old 29 August 2004, 16:56   #6

Town: Bradford on Avon
Boat name: tbc
Make: Sunseeker (AshleyD)
Engine: 2 x coal burners
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
If you do, make sure it is set up properly. This diesel one came with us on a recent trip from Dartmouth to Plymouth & was flying & slamming over relatively small waves. Oh, & all the crew complained about how uncomfortable the seats were.

The Scorpion was travelling in comfort over the the top of the waves at about 30knts, but the Revenger had to slow down to about 20knts because it couldn't ride over them without slamming. Not ideal for a lap of Britain.

I'm sure there are plenty of very capable ribs on the market, but IMHO I would recommend a Scorpion. They are set up properly "out of the box", are well built & have very comfortable seating for long distance work.

Regards.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-DSC_0022.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	7759  
Old 29 August 2004, 18:37   #7

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Well I have ridden in a 27ft Revenger and it was the most uncomfortable RIB ride of my life. (Mind you the driver only knew two speeds. Stop and flat out!)

I don't like the straight tubes of the Revenger I prefer the sheer of the Scorpion. I also reckon that more Scorpions have circumnavigated UK straight out of the box than Revengers! For example Brian had Cyanide for around a month or so before we went round Britain in RB4.

Ollie, I'd go for a fairly conventional wide cruising console and jockey seat layout with possibly a rear bench. Best layout for family cruising and serious passage making anyway. (Unless your budget runs to Stidd mission seats! )

Lots of folk keep their RIBS in the water throughout. It helps if the tubes are out of the water at rest as this obviously reduces fouling. (Some RIBS have the tubes in the water at rest - greater stability for diving for example, some have them clear - better performance.) No reason why you cant antifoul a RIB like a hardboat.

Diesel performance is fine with the larger engines. For long distance cruising you want relaxed cruising at 35kts with power in reserve as when conditions permit you want to travel faster to keep the average speed up. Yanmars are popular engines but do a search for "Bravo 3" legs and the problems mating the two together. Outdrive legs get expensive to replace! Diesel is obviously more available and cheaper than petrol but you can go round britain in a petrol boat with a little thought in the route planning!

Oh yes and there is no such thing as independent advice on here I'm afraid as we all have our own opinions/beliefs/hang ups!!

Alan
Old 29 August 2004, 18:48   #8

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcamel
I have been thinking the diesels make sense for reliability and running costs but never used one in a RIB so unsure as to their comparable performance.
As far as a round Britain trip is concerned, diesel will win in terms of the three A's... Availability, Availability and Availability. Oh, and safety as well.
Quote:
What seating/deck layout would you look at? I am planning on doing the trip with a two man crew
At least a console with good shelter from the weather, then add good jockey seats (if you're happy with hours on end on them) or something more exotic if your budget allows.
Quote:
Do owners ever keep their boats in the water throughout the summer season? I have never seen a rib anti fouled, does it happen?
Sure does. A friend has just anti-fouled his Scorpion for year-long marina storage... International do a suitable product for fast planing craft.

Quote:
I am trying to gain as much independent advice as possible before pouring my savings into another boat...
No substitute for getting out and trying as many RIBs as possible. You are most welcome to come and try ours whenever you like but get out on others as well! As far as your savings are concerned, just put them into a Scorpion - slowest depreciation of any RIB
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2004, 18:51   #9

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Why not a Revenger?
The ancient Revenger hull can't hold a candle to the David Marsh designed Scorpion hull. IMHO, of course!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2004, 03:43   #10

Thanks for all the advice guys. I think I will visit the Southhampton boat show and talk further with the guys from Scorpian. I will keep you updated on progress...

Ollie