Old 29 August 2004, 14:03   #1

Town: Newcastle upon Tyne
Boat name: Happy Hours
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300 Verado
MMSI: 235040122
If you had £35,000

And a desire to use a RIB to lap the UK, what would you buy? Would prefer to leave the boat in the water for 9 months of the year and the budget needs to include electronics.. Thoughts would be much appreciated..

Ollie
Old 29 August 2004, 15:37   #2

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
If I had £35k to spend on a RIB I'd be a happy man!

No question. Scorpion 7.5, 8.1 or 8.5m. Would probably get you new petrol engined 7.5m with electronics and poss. a trailer. Either that or if you are lucky and find one a used one with inboard diesel.

I've been around Britain on a Scorpion and its the only way to travel!

HTH, Alan
Old 29 August 2004, 17:33   #3

Spec wise I have been thinking the diesels make sense for reliability and running costs but never used one in a RIB so unsure as to their comparable performance. What seating/deck layout would you look at? I am planning on doing the trip with a two man crew but will obviously use the boat for more familly biased fun with skii's etc at other times so will need the boat to feel refined as well as functional. Do owners ever keep their boats in the water throughout the summer season? I have never seen a rib anti fouled, does it happen?

Sorry to ask so many questions but I am trying to gain as much independent advice as possible before pouring my savings into another boat....

Ollie
Old 29 August 2004, 17:43   #4

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
SCORPION simply the BEST!
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2004, 18:05   #5

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Why not a Revenger? Lapping Britain seems to be their speciality!!!
Old 29 August 2004, 20:56   #6

Town: Bradford on Avon
Boat name: tbc
Make: Sunseeker (AshleyD)
Engine: 2 x coal burners
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
If you do, make sure it is set up properly. This diesel one came with us on a recent trip from Dartmouth to Plymouth & was flying & slamming over relatively small waves. Oh, & all the crew complained about how uncomfortable the seats were.

The Scorpion was travelling in comfort over the the top of the waves at about 30knts, but the Revenger had to slow down to about 20knts because it couldn't ride over them without slamming. Not ideal for a lap of Britain.

I'm sure there are plenty of very capable ribs on the market, but IMHO I would recommend a Scorpion. They are set up properly "out of the box", are well built & have very comfortable seating for long distance work.

Regards.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-DSC_0022.JPG
Views:	379
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	7759  
Old 29 August 2004, 22:37   #7

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Well I have ridden in a 27ft Revenger and it was the most uncomfortable RIB ride of my life. (Mind you the driver only knew two speeds. Stop and flat out!)

I don't like the straight tubes of the Revenger I prefer the sheer of the Scorpion. I also reckon that more Scorpions have circumnavigated UK straight out of the box than Revengers! For example Brian had Cyanide for around a month or so before we went round Britain in RB4.

Ollie, I'd go for a fairly conventional wide cruising console and jockey seat layout with possibly a rear bench. Best layout for family cruising and serious passage making anyway. (Unless your budget runs to Stidd mission seats! )

Lots of folk keep their RIBS in the water throughout. It helps if the tubes are out of the water at rest as this obviously reduces fouling. (Some RIBS have the tubes in the water at rest - greater stability for diving for example, some have them clear - better performance.) No reason why you cant antifoul a RIB like a hardboat.

Diesel performance is fine with the larger engines. For long distance cruising you want relaxed cruising at 35kts with power in reserve as when conditions permit you want to travel faster to keep the average speed up. Yanmars are popular engines but do a search for "Bravo 3" legs and the problems mating the two together. Outdrive legs get expensive to replace! Diesel is obviously more available and cheaper than petrol but you can go round britain in a petrol boat with a little thought in the route planning!

Oh yes and there is no such thing as independent advice on here I'm afraid as we all have our own opinions/beliefs/hang ups!!

Alan
Old 29 August 2004, 22:48   #8

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcamel
I have been thinking the diesels make sense for reliability and running costs but never used one in a RIB so unsure as to their comparable performance.
As far as a round Britain trip is concerned, diesel will win in terms of the three A's... Availability, Availability and Availability. Oh, and safety as well.
Quote:
What seating/deck layout would you look at? I am planning on doing the trip with a two man crew
At least a console with good shelter from the weather, then add good jockey seats (if you're happy with hours on end on them) or something more exotic if your budget allows.
Quote:
Do owners ever keep their boats in the water throughout the summer season? I have never seen a rib anti fouled, does it happen?
Sure does. A friend has just anti-fouled his Scorpion for year-long marina storage... International do a suitable product for fast planing craft.

Quote:
I am trying to gain as much independent advice as possible before pouring my savings into another boat...
No substitute for getting out and trying as many RIBs as possible. You are most welcome to come and try ours whenever you like but get out on others as well! As far as your savings are concerned, just put them into a Scorpion - slowest depreciation of any RIB
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2004, 22:51   #9

Quote:
Why not a Revenger?
The ancient Revenger hull can't hold a candle to the David Marsh designed Scorpion hull. IMHO, of course!
Old 30 August 2004, 07:43   #10

Thanks for all the advice guys. I think I will visit the Southhampton boat show and talk further with the guys from Scorpian. I will keep you updated on progress...

Ollie
Old 30 August 2004, 07:52   #11

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Do give Scorpion a ring first to check that they will be at the boatshow - they don't always attend - I believe the order book is always full!

You could always ring up and arrange to visit the factory/workshop - it's a very interesting experience.

For a little bit of info about other 'Round Britain' Scorpions, have a look at the website: http://www.scorpionribs.com/ and look under 'News'. You could, of course, just chat to Alan (who posted above) or Brian - both RIBnet members who have been round Britain in a Scorpion.

Edit: I've just checked the Southampton Boat Show 2004 site and Scorpion is not listed as being an exhibitor.
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2004, 08:15   #12

Thank you Louise. I live in Newcastle but am going to a wedding in Bristol on the 10th so will see if they can see me on the 9th or the 11th.

After I speak with them I will come back to you guys with more questions, I am sure....
Old 30 August 2004, 08:40   #13

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
And you could also become a RIBnet supporter (a very small amount of that budget) Worth every penny for such a brill site.

http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4920

Us
Old 30 August 2004, 09:44   #14

To get an idea of how far your £35k budget will stretch, Ribcraft's web site is useful as they publish prices (but only for their "leisure" range which goes up to 7.5m). £33½k would get you a 7.5m powered by a Yanmar 240hp diesel, but you would need to allow about £2½k for seating, another £2k for electronics, and more for a larger fuel tank. http://www.ribcraft.co.uk/Downloads/...2%20Prices.pdf . Scorpion prices are likely to be somewhat higher.

Going down the used boat route opens up all sorts of possibilities (and potential pitfalls, of course!) Have a look at Boats and Outboards where you will find occasional bargains like this: http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/BEM200/ (one can't help wondering if there's a problem as it's been for sale at this bargain price all summer). Also look at http://www.lymingtonmarinesales.co.u...age_page_3.htm and other brokers. And don't forget the RIBnet used RIBs section!
Old 30 August 2004, 11:59   #15

Town: Inverkip
Make: Redbay 11m Cabin
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha422Sti 275
Personally I would buy something with a bit of shelter, like a Redbay 7.4+, fitted with a inboard Diesel. The difference that you would have being out of the weather in immense, you would go out and play in any type of weather instead of getting soaked or all wrapped up in drysuits etc (just waiting for the flames ).
The diesel would give you reliability and also an easy fuel to buy, anywhere that there are fishing boats you will buy fuel or even in the worst case from a Farmer. Diesels are generally speaking far more reliable, and you can always usually make a temp repair to get you moving again......so long as its not a catastouphoic (sp) failure.
I looked at a 8.4m with canopy etc and quite a good electronics package, boat was about a 2001-2 for around £35k. It also had a good trailer and was fitted with twin Styer inboards driving through a Bravo 1-2 leg.
Andy
Old 30 August 2004, 14:48   #16

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
The Redbays look great alright.

Us
Old 30 August 2004, 14:59   #17

Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
SCORPIONS look much better http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5621
If you ever go on one you will never forget the experience. The boat just doesn't make a bang on waves (at least the bangs I'm use to with the FALCON). The SCORPION (IMHO always) is made for cruising long distances safely. Pity is so damn expensive

I suppose someone has to pay for these ridiculous leather boots on top of jeans this guy wears
Old 30 August 2004, 17:08   #18
TIM

Town: Dublin
Boat name: WIZARD
Make: REDBAY 7.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: OPTI 225
[QUOTE=Andy Gee] Personally I would buy something with a bit of shelter, like a Redbay 7.4+, fitted with a inboard Diesel.

I dream about this every night........ My wife is getting pi**ed off
Old 30 August 2004, 19:32   #19

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
so what do you want petrol diesel/ cabin or open/speed or comfort
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2004, 19:34   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
so what do you want petrol diesel/ cabin or open/speed or comfort
Me personally a Swedish Blond with huge B...s, a Ferrari but will settle for a Lamborghini and a Cigarette TOP GUN 48 or a Fabio Buzi 40ft thing