Old 08 February 2010, 21:54   #21

Town: Melbourne
Make: Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF140
Go on Stephen get a Vipermax - I'm sure Jono G could source you a good nearly new one - in all likelihood a new boat/ motor warrantee won't be of much use to you! The 5.8 is more than enough for a small crew and it is just a fantastic sea boat.
Old 08 February 2010, 22:37   #22

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
I'd like a Vmax if cost was no object but like most folks I don't have a bottomless wallet

I sent Jono an email when I first started this thread, no reply as yet! A couple of the aforementioned second hand ones are still on the possible list but I am a bit of a fair weather ribber I suppose.

The merits of new versus used are something I have been pondering. As you correctly suggest, most RIB warranties are "back to base" with some like XS saying that they will absolutely not pay for third party labour costs - so that's as much use as a chocolate fireguard (but at least they are honest about it). So a nearly new option which has had any bugs ironed out might be a good idea, but I suppose I have an inherent pessimism about buying anything used that I've not had the chance to poke around, regardless of what it is, probably a by product of dealing in vehicles for a living I guess - no offence meant to the folks who have sent me info so far.

The other reason I quite like the idea of another Destroyer is that I don't know how I would get on launching and recovering single handed in our (windy) conditions with a roller trailer - I have been thinking about this and think it could be very hard but I've no experience of roller trailers beyond seeing that it takes six military divers longer to recover their rib onto a roller trailer than it does me to recover mine solo.

With the big old trailer I have at the moment, full length keel support and two bloody great big bunks, I chuck it in deep water, wallop the boat on with a bit of speed (2-3 knots I guess) so it runs up far enough to be secure and then climb out over the drawbar and sort out the winching side of things safe in the knowledge that the boat won't go anywhere even if it's quite breezy. I can't really see how I could do that with a roller trailer (it would probably bend the trailer, and even if it didn't the boat might roll off again!).

Apart from the Destroyer most of the others have several hull chines, which wouldn't lend themselves to the design of bunk trailer that works well with the Destroyer as I suspect you'd end up busting the chines on the trailer bunks - it doesn't always land square if you've got a strong crosswind. I'm a bit blind here as to how much of a problem it would be - but I think the Destroyer is better suited to it than the others and easy launch and recovery solo is definitely part of the requirement.

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 February 2010, 23:35   #23

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
I run my Destroyer onto roller trailer sometimes solo. Just line it up and run it up with the engine raised slightly.
I then leave the engine slowly running at a fast idle and go clip on the winch strap. Go back and stop engine, job done.
I don't do this often but its not difficult or needs a lot of practice, just a bit of lining up to begin with. The rollers are self aligning and straighten up the boat on the trailer as it goes on.
Old 09 February 2010, 05:40   #24

Understand where you are coming from checking out a used one - although there are always around that. (a trusted delegate with a web cam?)

Re the trailer, the roller trailer in a cross wind and chop is a bit intimidating, but you can fit guides to the trailer and mechanisms to catch the bow ring on the trailer to make it easy, and the rollers are self adjusting

I agree with BruceB, it's fine with a bit of practice and confidence.
Old 09 February 2010, 07:37   #25

What about on a rocky beach where if you give it too much oomph you will start sucking rock through the prop? That's already something I have to be careful of (bent prop under the bench in the garage from the early days...!) and I assume there will be less water at the stern with a roller trailer because it's lower? If you trim the engine to a normal cruising position, how much clearance is there between the skeg and the ground, parked on a flat road?

Old 09 February 2010, 11:24   #26

Don't know about the rocky beach, someone else needs to talk on that one.

I'm used to sand or some kind of green grey slime - both of which I avoid at recovery by trimming the motor up so the prop is just below the water. Steering isn't exactly precise, but good enough and there is enough oomph to get the boat up the trailer.

Hauling out, the motor skeg is well clear (axle height or higher) and when the trailer is hitched on the car, the skeg will just touch the ground just before it is fully trimmed down.

I don't cruise much on the trailer, so don't actually know what the clearance is
Old 09 February 2010, 16:52   #27

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apherel View Post
Go on Stephen get a Vipermax - I'm sure Jono G could source you a good nearly new one
....yes but you may find its cheaper to buy a new one

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 February 2010, 17:16   #28

Stephen, A well set up roller trailer is a doddle to use on your own. I generally launch my VMax on my own and have beach launched as well as slip launched.

If I were always launching on really shallow beaches then I would set the rollers to a much higher setting.

Born fiddler
Old 09 February 2010, 22:58   #29

Town: Southampton
Make: Stingher & Redbay
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
A situation has appeared whereby I might be able to sell my RIB for a decent price, I hadn't been planning to so I hadn't really thought about replacements but I need to think about it fairly quickly to make a decision on whether it is worthwhile or not.

So, what should I have on the shortlist? I have a Destroyer at the moment and am generally happy with the size vs performance as I can launch and recover it single handed which is essential. Looking 5.5m to 6.0m size, more likely the lower end to keep the price and running costs down.

Shortlist at the moment consists of Destroyer/Ocean Pro, Vipermax and maybe XS, anything else that is worth looking at? Good value is essential (if it is too expensive I couldn't do it so while I'd love a Redbay with twins, or that Parker 630 with a cabin on, reality is I probably can't afford it unless they cost a lot less than I think).

Suggestions please
You say you would like a Redbay But it is too much! Well as the UK importer I can supply you a new Redbay Stormforce 6.1m fitted with a Suzuki 140hp on a trailer for £29,400 inc vat. How does that sound? With a quick order we could probably push that through in 10-12 weeks and built to your specification.
Let me know. Ed MRL www.mrl-uk.com
Old 09 February 2010, 23:26   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
....yes but you may find its cheaper to buy a new one
I'm not going to bite
Old 09 February 2010, 23:43   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdPed View Post
You say you would like a Redbay But it is too much! Well as the UK importer I can supply you a new Redbay Stormforce 6.1m fitted with a Suzuki 140hp on a trailer for £29,400 inc vat. How does that sound? With a quick order we could probably push that through in 10-12 weeks and built to your specification.
Let me know. Ed MRL www.mrl-uk.com
Less than I thought (I thought I saw £35k in one of the mags) ... but still about £10k more than I really want to spend

Quote:
Stephen, A well set up roller trailer is a doddle to use on your own. I generally launch my VMax on my own and have beach launched as well as slip launched.

If I were always launching on really shallow beaches then I would set the rollers to a much higher setting.
The issue I am worried about is the boat staying in one place while I hop off to winch - it's very windy here and a 15-20kt crosswind is not at all unusual, such that you often have to hit the trailer at several knots just to be able to maintain steering control on the approach, or the wind catches the bow and you miss the trailer and end up on the beach before you can say bollocks

I know you can fit guide poles, I'd just like to try the whole operation in windy conditions on a rocky beach to see if I could do it without pranging the prop or having the boat f off in the breeze without me in it

All just thoughts running around my tiny mind at the moment, got a bit of time to think about it anyway as my prospective buyer has left the country for a couple of weeks.

Old 10 February 2010, 08:07   #32

Quote:
Redbay Stormforce 6.1m fitted with a Suzuki 140hp on a trailer for £29,400 inc vat
Stephen, you could have a new Osprey V-max 7.0 meter for that price with an e-tec on the back including a trailer

I would have a chat with Roy at Osprey UK. He knows of a number of second hand boats for sale and I recall he may have a couple of VM's in your budget.

His number is on their website http://www.ospreyribs.co.uk/contact_us.html

Quote:

The issue I am worried about is the boat staying in one place while I hop off to winch - it's very windy here and a 15-20kt crosswind is not at all unusual, such that you often have to hit the trailer at several knots just to be able to maintain steering control on the approach, or the wind catches the bow and you miss the trailer and end up on the beach before you can say bollocks

I know you can fit guide poles, I'd just like to try the whole operation in windy conditions on a rocky beach to see if I could do it without pranging the prop or having the boat f off in the breeze without me in it

All just thoughts running around my tiny mind at the moment, got a bit of time to think about it anyway as my prospective buyer has left the country for a couple of weeks.
If you had set the trailer up so that the rollers were high enough then you could drive onto the trailer however if you are on a steep slop then you would roll off again unless you left it in gear as Bruce suggested.

In fairness it does sound like you have a solution that works for you so as much as a roller trailer might suit most applications you maybe better off with a bunk from what you describe.

Born fiddler
Old 10 February 2010, 08:33   #33

Quote:
In fairness it does sound like you have a solution that works for you so as much as a roller trailer might suit most applications you maybe better off with a bunk from what you describe.
Better the devil you know I guess

I suppose I don't have the range of experience of either doing or watching others when it comes to this, and all I know is that of the limited number of boats here with several different flavours of home-build and commercially bought trailers, everybody else I watch manages to make much harder work (and usually a much bigger hash up) of the bit twixt land and sea than I do

7m is too big for me really, trying to keep the running costs down so I use it more!

Old 10 February 2010, 09:17   #34

Quote:
Better the devil you know I guess

7m is too big for me really, trying to keep the running costs down so I use it more!
I guess I was just making the point that Ospreys are better V4M

Born fiddler
Old 10 February 2010, 11:32   #35
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Stephen - do you pay VAT in the FI's? if not then a new boat may well work out better priced than say a 1yr old privately owned one?

I understand where you're coming from with your warranty worries - but I suspect that a good manufacturer knowing you are the wrong end of the world would be willing to help in some way with problems if you bought it direct from them - but less inclined if there was a 3rd party who owned it first.
Old 10 February 2010, 18:33   #36

We can reclaim VAT on export and yes that is a great incentive to think hard about new options

Old 11 February 2010, 05:24   #37

Town: Horsham
Boat name: Knot a RIB
Make: Avon Typhoon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 25hp
Stephen - good luck in whatever way you decide to go - you've had some interesting challenges with your RIB fun and can understand your caution regarding warrenties etc. I hope you get a really cracking replacement

Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Knot Yet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2010, 07:59   #38

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
How about a diesel waterjet? It's a 6m (hull length) and 120hp, very economical and not complicated!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2010, 08:44   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
How about a diesel waterjet? It's a 6m (hull length) and 120hp, very economical and not complicated!
One word:

Kelp

Jets are absolutely useless here - people have tried them and they spend most of their time going round in circles swearing it's heaving with the stuff everywhere.

Diesel sterdrive would be nice but outside my price range (again)

Old 12 February 2010, 07:52   #40

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
One word:

Kelp

Jets are absolutely useless here - people have tried them and they spend most of their time going round in circles swearing it's heaving with the stuff everywhere.

Diesel sterdrive would be nice but outside my price range (again)
Fair enough!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote