Old 25 October 2009, 21:17   #1
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Ideas for weekend in small boat

Having been inspired by Zodiacman's travels this year I am casting my mind ahead to late spring wondering where I might be able to take my little boat. As this is an "adventure" it is likely to leave Mrs P and the junior P's behind - but that does make getting "time off" that much harder. I'm guessing we are looking at a leave Edinburgh(ish) Friday Afternoon and return Sunday afternoon - so 2 nights with no more than say 3 hours(ish) driving from Edinburgh. My boat is only 4m and fully loaded (possibly 3 guys, tents, fuel, kit etc) will max out at a little less than 20 knots. I can probably carry enough fuel for a 100+ nm round trip without too much difficulty but in that size boat unless we are lucky with the weather would probably prefer to be reasonably sheltered. Obviously we will only go in sensible weather anyway - but an area with a sensible bail out plan would be good.

So I am looking for ideas on places to start/go etc.

I'm guessing we will camp - unless anyone can suggest places with nice little bothies (either paid for or more rustic!). Could be convinced to go to a small village and B&B or have a few beers in a bar, but my assumption was this would be with the least possible "social interaction"!

I guess I am looking for something along the lines of Zodiacman's trip but slightly closer to home and over a slightly shorter period of time... anyone done anything they would recommend?

Distance covered is probably not the prioirity - but getting to places we couldn't without the boat, and "seclusion" would probably tick boxes...
Old 26 October 2009, 09:42   #2

Town: glasgow
Boat name: arriba
Make: marlin
Length: 7m +
Engine: suzuki 300
how about sandbank marina holy loch strong sw wind up firth of clyde is only prob you have to north loch long loch goil gare loch and up to glasgow. then down south to cumbraes bute and kyles of bute. dont know about camping
need any further info PM me
Old 26 October 2009, 13:04   #3

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
3 Hrs form Edinburgh....

On the east coast that could potentially take you as far as Aberdeen, I'll leave the east coast bods to expand on that one,

Heading west, You could probably get to Oban in 3 hrs, & if you want total seclusion, Chuck the boat in at Dunstaffnage and after a fight with the Connel narrows you have a good few miles of Loch Etive which basically ends up in the middle of nowhere. If you are thinking 2 days, that might be a bit limiting? You could also launch at the Taynuilt pier if the tides were bad for the Falls. If you launched at Dunstaffnage-ish, heading up Linnhe gives you plenty of places to go & explore, in relative shelter and there's a garage about 1/2 a mile round from the Ballahuilish bridge which is a short scramble up the bank to fill your tank(s). You then also have the choice of camping somewhere or plenty of places with pubs! I've done a chunk or two of there in an 11' Dory , so it's not "Redbay only" territory - but do keep an eye on the wind direction, as a "straight up the loch" wind will make it a bit more interesting.
Alternatively there's the option of a lap of Mull & / or round Ardnamurchan or head south to Sween / Jura / Islay (or a combination thereof) but I'll leave the locals to big up that area!

Largs is easily doable in 3 hrs (ha, says he remembering the M80 roadworks now have the "Yellow vultures" installed) - from there it's a relatively short hop to Loch Fyne - the Eastern shore of which probably ticks the "out the way" boxes, but also allows you relatively easy access to the A83 on the western shore should it all go t!ts up.

Alternatively doing the inverse of Doug's suggestion - why not launch at the top of Loch Long & work south from there......
Old 26 October 2009, 13:26   #4
RIBnet admin team

Thanks Ralph and Doug,

Yes if the traffic is OK I can do Oban in 3hrs. I can also do Ft William in about that - so I guess that doesn't make Malaig totally stupid (but is certainly bending my 3hr limit!).

I like all the areas you suggest. I've been in most of them either under power or wind at some point, but never camped / bothied in any of them.

I don't know the East Coast at all (beyond the Forth) - but it strikes me as quite exposed? do any of the locals want to argue with that?
Old 26 October 2009, 13:27   #5

Town: burnley
Boat name: maddison
Make: zodiac futura mk2
Length: 4m +
Engine: 25hp mariner 2 st
Send a message via MSN to zodiacman
Hi Polwart
I did a weekend trip just like the one you are looking for. We set off from Fairlie about 2 mile south of Largs launched off the beach on friday afternoon and headed for Glencallum Bay on the south tip of Bute ( head for the lighthouse and its just to the left) OS ref. 111777 52703. It is a sheltered bay with a sloping beach and flat ground for the tents, no driftwood so take your own for the fire On the Saturday we sailed anticlockwise around Bute and landed on SW side of Inchmarnock OS ref 02535 58690 great flat beach plenty of room for tents. If you get there early enough pitch your tents and take the boat across to Catacol Bay on the north of the Isle of Arran about 9 mile great little pub there then back for the campfire and beach party Sunday head back to Fairlie or wrangle another night and stop off at Little Cumbrae have a great "adventure"
Old 26 October 2009, 15:05   #6
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
, so it's not "Redbay only" territory
Oh deadly, I love it - Medal, That Man!

"What y'all doin' out here Cityboy?, don't y'all know that this here's Redbay Territory!"

Insert "Squeal like a Pig" joke below :
Old 26 October 2009, 15:28   #7
exspyrd trayd membir

Town: inn wiliks hed
Make: Redbay 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Twin Etec 90hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
unless anyone can suggest places with nice little bothies

wft wft.

yew carnt doo dat.

advertizin forr nise likkul botties wil gett yew arestid

garF
Old 26 October 2009, 15:30   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
"What y'all doin' out here Cityboy?, don't y'all know that this here's Redbay Territory!"
Muffink wa weweven fwooh Dowy cwm....<removes gumshield> Eye say old chaps, nothing a small Dory boat cannot handle! Having said that, if the wind / tide's in the right place you can surf a 470 on the rollers....

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodiacman View Post
on the south tip of Bute ..... no driftwood so take your own for the fire
Alternatively there is a good place to camp right on the north end of the island with enough wood to keep youi going all winter! - PM me if you want to know more as I'll need to check with a friend what the story is there these days.
Old 26 October 2009, 22:57   #9

Town: Manchester
Boat name: "mr Jingles"
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: 130 Etec
MMSI: 235074968
RIBase
try loch lomond its a great loch u can camp on any of the irlands for free
Old 26 October 2009, 22:57   #10

Town: Manchester
Boat name: "mr Jingles"
Engine: 130 Etec
MMSI: 235074968
RIBase
loch lomond

Old 27 October 2009, 12:32   #11
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadd View Post
Thanks for the suggestion - I do like Loch Lomond, but its somewhere I have been a lot and for various reasons for the trip I have in mind would prefer to actually get "away from it" all.
Old 27 October 2009, 12:37   #12
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodiacman View Post
Hi Polwart
I did a weekend trip just like the one you are looking for. We set off from Fairlie about 2 mile south of Largs launched off the beach on friday afternoon and headed for Glencallum Bay on the south tip of Bute ( head for the lighthouse and its just to the left) OS ref. 111777 52703. It is a sheltered bay with a sloping beach and flat ground for the tents, no driftwood so take your own for the fire On the Saturday we sailed anticlockwise around Bute and landed on SW side of Inchmarnock OS ref 02535 58690 great flat beach plenty of room for tents. If you get there early enough pitch your tents and take the boat across to Catacol Bay on the north of the Isle of Arran about 9 mile great little pub there then back for the campfire and beach party Sunday head back to Fairlie or wrangle another night and stop off at Little Cumbrae have a great "adventure"
Thanks that sounds like it has some potential, and I guess if the weather kicks up then we could just play around Cumbrae etc and find a nice warm B&B in Millport!

OK we have some good ideas so far... anyone want to suggest a route if there is really nice settled weather for say the Isla/Jura/Mull direction?
Old 27 October 2009, 13:24   #13

Quote:
... anyone want to suggest a route if there is really nice settled weather for say the Isla/Jura/Mull direction?
Oban- Bunnahabhain - Caoul Isla - Ardbeg - Lagavullan - Laphroig - Bowmore - Bruichladdich - Oban?
Old 27 October 2009, 13:32   #14
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Oban- Bunnahabhain - Caoul Isla - Ardbeg - Lagavullan - Laphroig - Bowmore - Bruichladdich - Oban?
I see a problem... i'll be driving...
Old 27 October 2009, 14:24   #15

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
You missed isle of jura at craighouse!!
J
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2009, 14:30   #16

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Hi you could always launch at Tayvallich, Carsaig, Crinan or Ardfern and cross the sound either anti or clockwise around jura do 'corry' and the grey dogs up to easdale and back down. If good weather window you will not beat it for scenery and boating. Alystra can give you some tips re select wee bays for camping if that is what you want to do. Good B&B at Craighouse at hotel. Hope this helps.
Have a good one where ever you go and be safe and take plenty of photos.

J
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2009, 14:44   #17
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
Hi you could always launch at Tayvallich, Carsaig, Crinan or Ardfern and cross the sound either anti or clockwise around jura do 'corry' and the grey dogs up to easdale and back down. If good weather window you will not beat it for scenery and boating. Alystra can give you some tips re select wee bays for camping if that is what you want to do. Good B&B at Craighouse at hotel. Hope this helps.
Have a good one where ever you go and be safe and take plenty of photos.

J
thanks Jambo - i've launched at Tayvallich before but only directly into Loch Sween - as we had a toddler with us and the Sound of Jura was not looking very welcoming on those days! I completely agree that its a fantastic location. And the sheltered option of Loch Sween obviously gives an alternative plan if its blowing a hoolie. If Alystra can suggest suitable shores for camping on that would be great - unfortunately we don't have a plumbing-pipe-and-tarp tent to go the full hog with!
Old 27 October 2009, 16:17   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
You missed isle of jura at craighouse!!
J
Yeah, good call. Thinking about it, I missed Ledaig as well......

Quote:
I see a problem... i'll be driving...
Indeed. I have been toying with this problem for a while now. I am hatching a plan involving Port Ellen Marina, a B&B, a pair of hiking boots and / or a bike....
Old 27 October 2009, 16:42   #19

Town: Ireland
Length: 10m +
Why not bring the latest copy of the MAIB reports with you, & some back issues if you are an enthusiastic reader? You can use a searchlight to read with while in the tent (be careful if camping near the coast in case the searchlight is accidentally directed at the bridge of a ship, apparently it destroys the watchkeepers night vision if he is actually awake), dont stay up too late in case of fatigue, its rife & everyone on watch on ships is asleep :-)
Old 27 October 2009, 18:03   #20
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubenelgenubi View Post
Why not bring the latest copy of the MAIB reports with you, & some back issues if you are an enthusiastic reader? You can use a searchlight to read with while in the tent (be careful if camping near the coast in case the searchlight is accidentally directed at the bridge of a ship, apparently it destroys the watchkeepers night vision if he is actually awake), dont stay up too late in case of fatigue, its rife & everyone on watch on ships is asleep :-)
Oi! The position of "Cranky, Sarcastic and Irritating Irish lad with a Long Memory" on this forum is already taken and I've 11 months left on me contract!

Away with you!