Old 22 October 2004, 20:21   #1

Town: Los Angeles
Boat name: The Boot
Make: Avon SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 2000 Tohatsu 50
I took delivery of my (new to me) Searider 4m

Its a 1990 ex USCG boat fitted with a 2000 Tohatsu 50 2strk. It has a custom stainless steel rear bench and an aluminum (anodized & powder coated) center console. I am in the process of wiring up my radio, fuel flow gauge, and water/fuel seperator as well as generally going through the whole boat.

The one thing it needs is a center jockey console. I was wondering if some of you with jockey consoles could tell me how high yours are? If possible could you provide height dimensions of the jockey seat minus the cushion, the height of the cushion and maybe even the height of the center of your steering wheel? I hope I'm not asking too much. I want/need to make my own center jockey seat for my boat. The center of my steering wheel is 34 inches from the floor. In one of the photos I used a computer box and some fabric to try and find an optimal seating height. I found 21 inches from floor to top of the box to be a pretty good start.

Hopefully I will get her on the water soon and post back a report on how she handles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mymess.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	8866   Click image for larger version

Name:	sconsole.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	8867   Click image for larger version

Name:	searider.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	8868  
Old 23 October 2004, 01:13   #2

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Get some peices of wood, arrange where you think you want em and sit on it. Trial and error will dictate how high you sit and the location of wheel etc. Measure all the dimentions and let the search begin.

I found that with my RIB the seat was a little low but have made a deep seat base that makes things taller, but I am 6'6" tall! I can still jam my feet between the tubes and deck for greater stability in rough conditions. Another consideration on the height of the seat is that when standing a tall seat can be braced between the legs, gives your ass a good workout .

Andy
Old 23 October 2004, 04:47   #3

Town: San Diego.California
Boat name: Bayshots
Make: XS-550
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF90
Boatster,
attached a photo of the console I have on my XS-rib 550.
I found it very comfortable and well proportioned.
If I had one complaint on my set up ,is the controls on mine were mounted a little far forward to be comfortable.( by engine dealer not Barnet Marine) It's my first centre console RIB, but it seems if I am sitting back and braced in the seat, the controls are a bit of a stretch.
( Or Maybe my arms are just short !!! )
Still ,measurements below and hope they help.
Height of seat 18- 3/4 with 4" padded seat on top of that.
Pod is 10- 1/4 wide at base tapering to 9- 1/2 at the top.
28 " total length to console but flares out at 21 " to accomodate knees and flow into console shape.
(so top of cushion pad is also 21 'long by 9- 1/2 wide.)
Height of centre of wheel 34".
cheers Dal
Attached Images

Old 23 October 2004, 05:24   #4

Thanks Limeydal,

that was exactly what I needed. BTW I was scrolling through the gallery and enjoyed all the photos you posted of your rib and your nice family enjoying it on the bay. It must be nice boating in and around San Diego.
Anyways I took my rib out this evening and its a blast. I have a few adjustments to do but it was otherwise a successful first run. Didn't have time to take photos. I saw a fellow Avon Seariderererer on a 5.4. I'll try to take photos this weekend. Take care.

Boatster
Old 24 October 2004, 19:11   #5

I took my boat out again today. This time I had installed the Nauticus Smart tab trim tabs and the boat perfomed beautifully. I had very little bow rise on acceleration (significant before) and the boat planes much better at speed. The power trim on the motor didn't seem to effect the level of the boat much at all due to the smart tabs. I literally felt like I was floating on a pillow.

The Nauticus Smart tabs are an American product. I don't know if they are sold in the UK but if your boat has a bit of bow rise on acceleration might I suggest trying these out. There is quite a bit of discussion on them at iboats.com. You can also buy them from Westmarine as well.