Old 09 October 2008, 04:02   #11

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
I managed to dump mine on the slip. I'd backed it down the slip to the waters edge unstrapped everything inc. the winch. I normally leave the winch attached until I'm actually shoving the boat off of the trailer. Anyway, I, for some reason, got in the boat, there were a load of dinghies in the way on the my side of the slip. I asked the Missus to pull ahead and move us across the slip a tad. She pulled away, the boat rolled off 'bonk, bonk'. Fortunately, there were a load of army guys there on a canoeing trip, about 10 of them picked a 6.5m rib up an put it in the water. Unfortunately, one of the biggest gobs on Ribnet was down on hols and lanching behind me.
The damage was amazingly little, a thumbnail chip off of one sprayrail and a bit to the planning pad/ transom edge.
That wont happen again.

Old 09 October 2008, 04:25   #12

Town: Midlands
Make: RNLI Y-Class
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 15hp 2st
RIBase
Took a couple of mates out who'd never really been on boats before. Got back, I got off to get my car and trailer and told him to take it round to the slipway, and i'd meet them there!!

Got there to find they'd attempted to drive the searider up the slipway, and had got quite far up . The hull was scratched, but luckily the outboard had kicked up and the gearbox and prop were ok.

They owed me drinks for a few days, and I got to take the mick out of them for abit.

But it was my fault I shouldnt have assumed.

Old 09 October 2008, 08:02   #13
RIBnet supporter

Town: Cambs/Northants
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
I've seen that, zip up the front and a gaping hole at the back of the neck.
We used to hire out windsurfers etc and joe public always used to put the wetsuit on zip to the front and pretty side out
I aways put it down to the fact that they didn't want the crotch the last user had pee'd in on the inside
Old 09 October 2008, 10:40   #14

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Done similar to mollers in dropping my Jetski in the middleof the road outside my house- same reason an unclipped winch strap. It lived in the garage and was kept unclipped to keep load off it, usually I clipped in on and rolled it out, but my neighbour came over to chat & distracted me !

What did I learn from that ? - Its better to appear rude , concentrate on what is going on and apolgise afterwards with no damage, than to be nice,not concentrate , break something , then be rude while you sort it out & then have to apologise anyway !
Old 09 October 2008, 10:53   #15

Town: Hythe
Boat name: To be confirmed
Make: Gemini
Length: 9m +
Engine: Twin V6 Suzuki DF250
When I first entered the world of ribadge (and fast water sports for that matter), I learnt when someone shouts "WAKE" it's for a good reason and make sure you are positioned appropriately or your mammy and daddy dept can be, shall we say, left slighty bruised.
Old 09 October 2008, 11:32   #16

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
I'll repost something that happened to a buddy of mine: Opposite of the dropping the boat on the ramp.

Jeff and another buddy stayed down for an extra day of diving on Monday (I had returned to work), and were launching the boat in the morning. (Unfortunately, nobody around on a weekday morning as a witness.) Jeff does his usual, and opens the pickup tailgate so he can see, backs in, sees the boat start to float, Steve pulls on the lines, but the boat won't move. Jeff pulls forward a bit, then backs in and hits the brakes. Still nothing. Again, with a bit more reverse speed - forward, reverse, brakes - and everything in the bed of the truck slides into the water: several dive cylinders, shoes, assorted dive gear, a wooden tank rack, a barbecue, charcoal, a cooler full of food (opened when it hit the water - lettuce, bread, lunchmeats, and drinks all bobbing around the ramp.) Steve said they were laughing so hard they couldn't see, as they gathered stuff up and threw it back into the truck. Jeff takes a look at the back of the boat and realizes he had left one transom tie-down on. He wades in behind the boat, releases the strap, and a) nearly gets hit by the boat as it comes up, and b) nearly gets smashed by the trailer as it sinks to the bottom. Not sure how the rest of the day went...

jky
Old 09 October 2008, 12:50   #17

Here's another. My first boat, that wasn't the Old Man's, was a late 70's 14ft Shakespeare with a 3cyl Suzook 65. I went to town on it. I had the deck pro painted Ford bright lime green, new seats, screen, floor and carpeting. When screwing and sikaflexing the floor in I thought that my s/s screws were a bit on the long side. I then checked the amount of void between the floor and the hull. Plenty and on I go. I then gave a carpet laying mate 10 to do a nice job of the nylon carpet.
Ready to launch now, back her in as far as poss and give her a shove. Umm, bunked trailers are always a bit reluctant. Gets in, fires up the Suzook and gives it a bit of astern, no good. Give it flat out astern, still on the trailer. Hauls it out wondering WTF was the matter with the thing. I rocked it from side to side on the trailer and all became apparent. I'd screwed the hull to the bunks. The floor at the edges sat over a spray rail, and directly on the hull. I'd only put about 1/4" of four screws through into the wooden bunks, but it was enough to hold her fast.

Shorter screws and gelcoat filler sorted it, i never got the Suzook to run properly though.
Old 09 October 2008, 17:06   #18

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Did you have to re-carpet the bunks?
Old 09 October 2008, 17:10   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Did you have to re-carpet the bunks?
Yeah, bummer as I'd paid out a tenner. I did the boat floor myself, rough as rats!!!
Old 09 October 2008, 17:12   #20

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Nothing a bucket of self-levelling won't sort out