Old 30 September 2016, 19:01   #1

Town: Sheffield
Length: no boat
Hypalon treatment?

Hi guys, just a quick one...

I'm using TFR tomorrow to clean the tubes up, is there anything I can buy locally such as 303 to use after as a hypalon treatment? - Halfords/Tesco?

If I had planned better I would of ordered some Ribrevive/some sort of rubber treatment.

I don't want the tubes going dull afterwards so debaiting to put it off unless anyone can recommend anything near by.

Thanks 😎
Old 30 September 2016, 19:13   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
You can use amourall from Halfrauds, but it gets very slippery when wet (that would make a great title for a rock album&#128540 303 is the way to go.

Lions led by donkeys
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2016, 19:25   #3

Town: Connecticut
Make: Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: Undecided
303 aerospace or aurora polyguard are excellent protectant that will not harm the fabric. Stay way from any protectants containing petroleum products or silicone. Unfortunately there are products marketed as safe for inflatables that will harm them!!!
www.DinghyPro.net
cgoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2016, 19:43   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
You can use amourall from Halfrauds, but it gets very slippery when wet (that would make a great title for a rock album&#128540 303 is the way to go.

Lions led by donkeys
That has silicon in it and makes it hard to patch if ever needed. Shame as I applied it and looked amazing but took it off next day when I found out.

I have bought every Polish on market and they all suck on black tubes, but another thread that one.
Old 30 September 2016, 19:51   #5

Thanks,

So 303 isn't available locally?

Is the stuff from Halfords the stuff that looks great but hard to patch in future etc then?

Just to add it's orange tubes if that helps.
Old 30 September 2016, 23:08   #6

303 will likely need to come from online somewhere unless you have a really good chandlers locally, i've never seen it in any up here but you never know.

yes the stuff halfords (armor all) or whoever is silicon based, i would avoid it. shame as it is best finish i have ever seen on my tubes by miles.

i have got rib revive, rib shine, poly marine, hypatec, rib conditioner and ribright sitting in my shed and they range from poor to shockingly bad on black tubes, i don't know about orange though. if it helps last tango's tubes came up a treat with ribright and his are yellow, so probably okay with your orange.

i am going to order 303 myself as it is last one to try, if that doesn't shine i will need to live with it.
Old 30 September 2016, 23:23   #7

Town: WAterford
Boat name: na
Make: Rimini
Engine: dt85
I have used Autoglym tyre dressing
It works well makes it shine. It is slippery and does not last forever but looks good. Apparently it's used by most boat detailers. This was recommended by my local rib repair shop.
Old 30 September 2016, 23:29   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by idsebby View Post
I have used Autoglym tyre dressing
It works well makes it shine. It is slippery and does not last forever but looks good. Apparently it's used by most boat detailers. This was recommended by my local rib repair shop.
i would suggest you do some homework on it as petroleum based/silicon products makes repairing hypalon tubes difficult as the glue has difficulty sticking apparently. ( i have no personal experience though)

search this forum for armor all (similar ingredients) and you will find some info.

it concerned me enough to remove it all within 24 hours of applying it after some google work, a few places (not forums) say don't use it, however to each their own.

it just concerned me as not a single one of the "proper" ones have silicon in them.

some info here-

http://www.ribstore.co.uk/cms-assets...boat-dinghy-an

http://3sheetstothewind.your-photosh...aintenance.pdf
Old 01 October 2016, 01:20   #9

Ok so after a lot of searching tonight,

are any of these any good?

Autoglym Vinyl and rubber care
Autoglym tyre protect
Turtle wax nano tyre gel?

I can get some 303 of Amazon delivered on Sunday so may just await that but There are a few variations? Which one is it exactly?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00...6tL&ref=plSrch

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00...lDL&ref=plSrch

Are these the same or what? UV ray protector trigger spray?! OZ?
Old 01 October 2016, 09:18   #10

RIBase
Same stuff, one is ml (millilitres) the other is oz (fluid ounces)
When it arrives check the size. The ml is a smaller bottle, I ordered a 16oz bottle which is larger & more expensive, when it arrived it was the smaller ml bottle. I contacted the supplier & they tried to play daft, yeah! That worked😏 I eventually got a refund for the difference. The stuff is brilliant especially on black tubes (Xk59D&#128077 I went on to buy a gallon container of the stuff.

Lions led by donkeys
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 01 October 2016, 10:09   #11

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Quote:
Same stuff, one is ml (millilitres) the other is oz (fluid ounces)
When it arrives check the size. The ml is a smaller bottle, I ordered a 16oz bottle which is larger & more expensive, when it arrived it was the smaller ml bottle. I contacted the supplier & they tried to play daft, yeah! That worked😏 I eventually got a refund for the difference. The stuff is brilliant especially on black tubes (Xk59D&#128077 I went on to buy a gallon container of the stuff.

Lions led by donkeys

Yup washing up liquid and then 303 every time 👍
Old 01 October 2016, 12:47   #12

Make: Nautica
Engine: Twin outboard
Try the RIB cleaner and conditioners from August Race marine products Dartmouth
Old 01 October 2016, 13:11   #13

RIBase
I have some Ribstore Hypatec in the shed. Nightmare stuff

Lions led by donkeys
Old 01 October 2016, 15:36   #14

The Autoglym stuff tyre dressing works well but does not stay on for ages. I was told to use it by a rib builder/ repairer if it was bad I don't think he would sell it. I have no doubt that acetone or mek would remove any residue left over. But as suggested do your research, we all have different boats and there is loads of different fabrics out there.
Old 01 October 2016, 17:49   #15

A few hypalon places say never use it so I went with them rightly or wrongly.

Sanding nor mek takes it off is what I read as I reasoned same thing.

Anyways, to each their own.
Old 01 October 2016, 17:52   #16

Quote:
I have some Ribstore Hypatec in the shed. Nightmare stuff

Lions led by donkeys

Yup.....terrible. it should be called streak restorer.
Old 01 October 2016, 18:02   #17

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
303 will likely need to come from online somewhere unless you have a really good chandlers locally, i've never seen it in any up here but you never know.

yes the stuff halfords (armor all) or whoever is silicon based, i would avoid it. shame as it is best finish i have ever seen on my tubes by miles.

i have got rib revive, rib shine, poly marine, hypatec, rib conditioner and ribright sitting in my shed and they range from poor to shockingly bad on black tubes, i don't know about orange though. if it helps last tango's tubes came up a treat with ribright and his are yellow, so probably okay with your orange.

i am going to order 303 myself as it is last one to try, if that doesn't shine i will need to live with it.
You'll be happy with 303...same sort of finish as Armourall... I've used both for a while now and 303 has the edge I'd say...although with the amount of wear patches I have....slip has never been a problem.
I use car shampoo then 303...wouldn't use washing up liquid on a regular basis...I've seen what it does to inch thick stainless storage silo's...when I was in the recycling/scrap game

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 October 2016, 18:18   #18

Thanks guys.

I have ordered some 303 which is getting delivered tomorrow so TFR then 303 if the weather stays put 😎 .
Old 01 October 2016, 18:25   #19

Hypalon treatment?

Not trying to argue for the sake of argument just curious why the Autoglym stuff is supposed to be bad. Just read through its data sheet and it says it's water soluble. So I don't see why a cleaner would not take the stuff off? Only problem I see is that it will eventually come off when the boat is in the water.
Autoglym is a polymer silicone based product. Silicon should not be able to penetrate deeper into the rubber than the amount you sand down. Pretty sure air H2o molecules are smaller than silicone. What am I missing??
Old 01 October 2016, 18:37   #20

any protroleum or silicon based (autoglym) product is what the data sheets claim on various hypalon repair places, Google it yourself and see.

Again, I have no experience with it but I took the safe road and bought non silicon nor petroleum based protector, I.e the pukka stuff.

I thought the exact same as you and said ach it will sand off or mek but the problem is they end up in the fabric over time and make patching difficult is the claim.

Given a set of tubes in my case is about 8k and my boat is new-ish i took it all of within 24 hours.