Old 08 July 2012, 01:19   #1

Town: The 209
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30hp Suzuki
Hypalon Repair

I have a Novurania Hypalon RIB, recently purchased. Its been sitting, Its has no rips & I have checked the valves, they are not leaking. Still, The boat seems to hold air for the half day but needs air in the AM.

I have never done it, but I am guessing one would use a hose to find the leak by looking for bubbles & as they say in the UK, Robert is your mothers brother.

Where is a good place to start looking for said air bubbles?
Is there a regular place they like to leak from?

Any other advice about clean up and maintenance on a RIB that's been sitting for a year or two would be helpful. I am unfamiliar with the inflatable part of the boat, but I am good with the motor.

I rebuilt the carbs on the Suzuki 30hp, Starts first pull.

-Thanks, Joe, AKA, SCUBA RIB
Old 08 July 2012, 05:21   #2

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Use soapy water and a spray bottle to find leaks. Start at the valves, with them sealed up then move to the seams, and eventually the entire boat.

Since it is cooler in the morning, and air expands when warmer is it possible the temperature is playing a part in the loss of air pressure? How is the boat at the end of the day? Minor air loss is not a big deal.
Old 08 July 2012, 17:19   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
A year ot two shouldn't affect anything but the fuel intake system, and possibly the impeller. The boat fabric should be in roughly the same state as when it was stored (assuming it wasn't out in full-on Florida sun, or something like that.)

Pete's suggestion of soapy water is the best way; though if you have an entire boat to go over, get a pressurized garden sprayer - saves your forearm muscles.)

jky
Old 08 July 2012, 20:34   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
Use soapy water and a spray bottle to find leaks. Start at the valves, with them sealed up then move to the seams, and eventually the entire boat.

Since it is cooler in the morning, and air expands when warmer is it possible the temperature is playing a part in the loss of air pressure? How is the boat at the end of the day? Minor air loss is not a big deal.
The temp may be playing a small role. But its a good amount of air & the temp swing is not drastic here on the S/W Coast of California.
Its more than a little air loss, dose not seem usable 2 days in a row.
I used just plain water and checked the valves, Ill start there with the soap and work out as you suggested.
Thanks for the advice~ Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
A year ot two shouldn't affect anything but the fuel intake system, and possibly the impeller. The boat fabric should be in roughly the same state as when it was stored (assuming it wasn't out in full-on Florida sun, or something like that.)

Pete's suggestion of soapy water is the best way; though if you have an entire boat to go over, get a pressurized garden sprayer - saves your forearm muscles.)

jky
It was half ass covered. Tarp and beach towel job.
I changed the impeller & plugs when I rebuilt the carbs.
That little 30 runs hard.
boat was faster than I thought.

Garden Sprayer, Good call. I have a big backpack one. What type of Soap? A simple liquid soft soap, or dish soap?
Old 08 July 2012, 21:17   #5

Town: Poole
Boat name: Triple O
Make: R70
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 200hp
Once you've checked the valves I'd start under the rear cones at the stern, if the boats been left in the water a lot in the past the fabric can degrade. Then the seams and joins. It's not difficult to do with soapy water.
Old 09 July 2012, 00:29   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUBA RIB View Post
What type of Soap? A simple liquid soft soap, or dish soap?
Anything that forms bubbles when placed in a container and blown into with a straw. Dish soap works well. A biodegradable soap will work if you're environmentally friendly (not like you'll be using a ton of soap anyway, though.)

Use a spray pattern that thoroughly wets the tube surface. Any leak should be evident by a pile of bubbles forming.

jky
Old 11 July 2012, 12:07   #7

Quote:
Anything that forms bubbles when placed in a container and blown into with a straw. Dish soap works well. A biodegradable soap will work if you're environmentally friendly (not like you'll be using a ton of soap anyway, though.)

Use a spray pattern that thoroughly wets the tube surface. Any leak should be evident by a pile of bubbles forming.

jky
Thanks, JKY. I am going to hop on that this weekend. I have a nice liquid soft soap that I use for other stuff. Mild and super bubbly.

On another note. I see your in Oakland. I am only 2 hrs. from there. We should launch the boats in the bay. Maybe fish? Do you dive? I want to take my boat under the Golden Gate. Message me about it? Thanks for your help. -Joe.
Old 11 July 2012, 21:39   #8

2 hours away from Oakland? Puts you in the range of Monterey to east of Sacto, to about, oh, Cloverdale.

I don't go out on the bay too much, unless there's something to see (fireworks, though I didn't go last 4th of July; military ships, maybe in October for Fleet Week.)

If you're south, I get to Monterey pretty often for diving. If you're north, Peter_C is up that way, I think. Nobody I know of to the east.

jky
Old 12 July 2012, 00:48   #9

Quote:
2 hours away from Oakland? Puts you in the range of Monterey to east of Sacto, to about, oh, Cloverdale.

I don't go out on the bay too much, unless there's something to see (fireworks, though I didn't go last 4th of July; military ships, maybe in October for Fleet Week.)

If you're south, I get to Monterey pretty often for diving. If you're north, Peter_C is up that way, I think. Nobody I know of to the east.

jky
I am east. East of Merced, CA. by about 30 minutes. Maybe its more like 2.5 hours to Oakland. I have some nice fresh water here. River & Lakes w/ Camping. OR close enough to just go for the day. 25 minutes to water.

I also have a house in Orange, CA. I can show you a bunch of dive sites in San Diego (lots of ships, brand new), & South OC & Catalina island...
Wrecks, Spear fishing, Salvage diving. Hit me up anytime.
Old 12 July 2012, 05:26   #10

There's somewhere east of Merced? JK

I dive fairly regularly in Monterey (where I met Pete, and a few others, most of whom have retired from this site.) I also head nothish (Albion, just south of Mendocino) a couple/few times a year for abs.

jky
Old 12 July 2012, 07:13   #11

I am the opposite of jky and head North to dive the Sonoma and Mendo coasts more, with Monterey being a treat.

We are headed to Shasta Lake this weekend for some fun in the sun.

When we have guests visiting we often launch the boat, head out under the Golden Gate, then around Alcatraz and go for a hike at Angel Island. Followed up by dinner somewhere. There is a cove on the outside of the gate, but before the point on the Marin side, I have been thinking about jumping into the water to explore. It always seems to have seals frolicking around in it.
Old 12 July 2012, 14:48   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
There is a cove on the outside of the gate, but before the point on the Marin side, I have been thinking about jumping into the water to explore. It always seems to have seals frolicking around in it.
And sharks. And ripping currents... I'm in.

jky
Old 12 July 2012, 15:15   #13

Quote:
And sharks. And ripping currents... I'm in.

jky
I would say there are more sharks around the Monterey trench, but have seen the tagged sharks wander right into SF Bay. The ripping currents become docile for a short time during slack tide.

Now what about diving the headlands side back into the bay on a mild tide? Like diving in Cozumel with crappy vis? Not much overhead traffic as everyone stays the heck away from the rocks.

Both would require someone capable of driving the boat left onboard.

Has anyone ever launched in Horseshoe Cove right there by the Coast Guard station at the Marin Side? Looks like a decent free launch ramp.
Old 13 July 2012, 16:21   #14

Haven't really heard of anyone diving in or near the SF Bay. I suspect it would be like a swimming pool filled with chocolate milk, but with more toxic heavy metals.

And SF is in the Red Triangle (the area known for shark sightings/feeding events), which is loosely defined by Ano Nuevo, Stinson Beach, and the Farallon Islands.

I've never launched in Marin Co. Never looked at what's there, even. Sounds like research time.

jky
Old 14 July 2012, 21:50   #15

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUBA RIB View Post
Thanks, JKY. I am going to hop on that this weekend. I have a nice liquid soft soap that I use for other stuff. Mild and super bubbly.

-Joe.
Snoop?
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote