Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 22 September 2015, 13:30   #1
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Boston
Boat name: Floating RIB
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: 98 Johnson 3cyl 35hp
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 25
Hypalon patch

This is the first time I've had a significant enough leak in one of my tubes to do a patch. It produces bubbles from underneath when I'm inflating in the water.

There seem to be a lot of options from paints to patches. I'm attaching a pic of where the leak seems to be. I've circled it with pencil. If anyone can suggest the best (i.e. Easiest and cheap) approach I'd be very grateful...thanks!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1442943011.571450.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	108842
__________________

__________________
porkpiehat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2015, 14:57   #2
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,119
It looks like you're chewing up your stern transverse seam by running the boat underinflated.

It's a difficult repair location... I would probably leave it up to a professional?
__________________

__________________
Richard
Gluing geek since 2007
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2015, 04:01   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: TIDEL III
Make: AVON SEARIDER
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 823
Easiest method for home repairer if you cannot or don't want to pay to have it done properly is to pour leak sealant into tube to seal leak internally , then patch externally with a triangular patch (radius corners ) making sure that one corner/point is facing forwards so that it does not get lifted by water flow .This is not the proper way to do it but will work
__________________
paul tilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2015, 15:03   #4
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Boston
Boat name: Floating RIB
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: 98 Johnson 3cyl 35hp
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 25
even with a heavy RIB?

I thought those internal sealants worked mostly on soft inflatables that you could shake around to distribute the stuff around the tube?

I tried an external patch today (actually that stretch-tape stuff) and the air kept pushing just enough water out to stop it from sealing correctly. It ran along the seams to the outside of the tape.

will this internal sealant work if there is a little water in the tubes?

Cheers and thanks
__________________
porkpiehat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2015, 06:53   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: TIDEL III
Make: AVON SEARIDER
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 823
The tube sealant will work fine on large ribs if used correctly and the sealant can get to the leak .The inside of the tube does need to be dry for it to work well
__________________
paul tilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2015, 09:24   #6
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkpiehat View Post
I thought those internal sealants worked mostly on soft inflatables that you could shake around to distribute the stuff around the tube?

I tried an external patch today (actually that stretch-tape stuff) and the air kept pushing just enough water out to stop it from sealing correctly. It ran along the seams to the outside of the tape.

will this internal sealant work if there is a little water in the tubes?

Cheers and thanks
The O'brians stretch tape stuff will not hold and can potentially tear the topcoat off the hypalon.

This location is a very high wear area.

All patchwork must be completed while the boat is uninflated.

Paul is correct, water will dilute the internal sealant which can make it work poorly. Remove your valve and utilize a shopvac to remove the water.

They work fine on ribs if you can locate the sealant to the leak. However, if the tubes are still ran underinflated, the oscillation of the tube will continue to tear the seam apart and will eventually displace the sealant. Eventually the entire seam will blow open in a magnificent fashion.
__________________
Richard
Gluing geek since 2007
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2015, 11:59   #7
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Boston
Boat name: Floating RIB
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: 98 Johnson 3cyl 35hp
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 25
seams blowing in a magnificent fashion will not do at all!

Ok...so shop vac the water...I was also thinking isopropyl alcohol will help to dry that out if I can't reach it...unless that will destroy the neoprene inside.

add the internal sealant. Moving it around might be tough as the RIB is sitting on a trailer. No harm in trying.

Can a patch be applied over a large seam intersection like this or will the internal stuff be sufficient?

Thanks!
__________________
porkpiehat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2015, 13:18   #8
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkpiehat View Post
seams blowing in a magnificent fashion will not do at all!

Ok...so shop vac the water...I was also thinking isopropyl alcohol will help to dry that out if I can't reach it...unless that will destroy the neoprene inside.

add the internal sealant. Moving it around might be tough as the RIB is sitting on a trailer. No harm in trying.

Can a patch be applied over a large seam intersection like this or will the internal stuff be sufficient?

Thanks!
Both Hypalon and Neoprene have excellent resistance against isopropyl alcohol.

The valve removal will require a tool? It's a little plastic wrench that fits in to the valve.
__________________
Richard
Gluing geek since 2007
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2015, 15:18   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: TIDEL III
Make: AVON SEARIDER
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 823
Porkpiehat the sealant will easily run to the stern whilst on a trailer . deflate tube pour in sealant when inside of tube is dry , partially inflate tube and shake tube about , inflate tube hard , when sealant drips out of leak soften tube and leave for 24hrs so that sealant hardens in leak , inflate tube and fit reinforcing patch with tube fully inflated , definitely not deflated .
__________________
paul tilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2015, 15:22   #10
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul tilley View Post
Porkpiehat the sealant will easily run to the stern whilst on a trailer . deflate tube pour in sealant when inside of tube is dry , partially inflate tube and shake tube about , inflate tube hard , when sealant drips out of leak soften tube and leave for 24hrs so that sealant hardens in leak , inflate tube and fit reinforcing patch with tube fully inflated , definitely not deflated .
I guess I should have specified "air holding patches must be done with the boat deflated".

Rear transverse seams, I get them holding air first, then I do the reinforcing patches to match the curve of the boat.
__________________

__________________
Richard
Gluing geek since 2007
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:36.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.