Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 13 November 2017, 08:10   #1
Member
 
Country: Cyprus
Town: Limassol
Boat name: Dentex
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 4
Hypalon glue stain

Hi guys
This is my first post on the site so thanks in advance.
I recently bought a secondhand zodiac pro 4,20 which has recently had its tubes replaced with custom hypalon tube rather than the original PVC tubes.
However I tried glueing some handles on the one side of the tube but that didn't go very well as I added them in the wrong position and also the glue didn't last long.
That is not the problem tho as I decided to have the handles added properly by a professional.
The problem is that now I have removed the handles and the glue, the tube is left with a glue stain that seems as though the hypalon has changed colour where the glue was, it nothing to dramatic but since the tube is almost new it would be good to get rid of the stain. I have already tried filing it, thinner, acetone and hypalon cleaner but it doesn't seem to want to come off.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
__________________

__________________
George168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2017, 08:32   #2
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by George168 View Post
Hi guys
This is my first post on the site so thanks in advance.
I recently bought a secondhand zodiac pro 4,20 which has recently had its tubes replaced with custom hypalon tube rather than the original PVC tubes.
However I tried glueing some handles on the one side of the tube but that didn't go very well as I added them in the wrong position and also the glue didn't last long.
That is not the problem tho as I decided to have the handles added properly by a professional.
The problem is that now I have removed the handles and the glue, the tube is left with a glue stain that seems as though the hypalon has changed colour where the glue was, it nothing to dramatic but since the tube is almost new it would be good to get rid of the stain. I have already tried filing it, thinner, acetone and hypalon cleaner but it doesn't seem to want to come off.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
It's not possible, the adhesive has permanently damaged the material. You will need to cover it with an accent patch.

PS : Are you sure the tubeset is CSM/CR, not PVC? Post some pictures...
__________________

__________________
Richard
Gluing geek since 2007
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2017, 10:28   #3
Member
 
Country: Cyprus
Town: Limassol
Boat name: Dentex
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post
It's not possible, the adhesive has permanently damaged the material. You will need to cover it with an accent patch.

PS : Are you sure the tubeset is CSM/CR, not PVC? Post some pictures...
Thanks for your response.
The tube is definitely CSM.
I tried taking a picture but the stain is so light you really can't tell from a picture.
I will just have to add something over it.
__________________
George168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2017, 13:02   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 10m +
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 34
Once that glue sees the sun its to late... You wont get rid of it - Unless you sand it off..
__________________
glue jug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2017, 13:20   #5
Member
 
Country: Cyprus
Town: Limassol
Boat name: Dentex
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by glue jug View Post
Once that glue sees the sun its to late... You wont get rid of it - Unless you sand it off..
What grade sandpaper should I use?
__________________
George168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 09:40   #6
Member
 
Country: Cyprus
Town: Limassol
Boat name: Dentex
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 4
So I have tried sanding it down and actually removed the glue stain.
But now I am left with a blurry smudge.
Also the hypalon where I sanded is completely flat now as where the rest of the tube has pores on it.
Does anyone know if this pores will come back after some use and sun?
Also any suggestions on how to get rid of the smudge?
Check out the photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0431.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	122733  
__________________
George168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 09:59   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cheltenham
Boat name: Mavi Su
Make: Cobra Nautique 6.6
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150
MMSI: 235114058
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 24
RIBase
I guess you have "over sanded" I might have tried with a Star brite Boat Scuff Eraser.
The patch may be helped by applying a layer of UV protector.
Good Luck
__________________
You Can't cross an Ocean unless you have lost site of shore.
charliee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 13:09   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 10m +
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 34
Once sanded the hypalon will not come back to life.... UV Protector will in fact show it up more... I would place a handle,sign or lifeline there and in the same position the other side...
Or looking at your picture a wear patch would be suitable..
__________________

__________________
glue jug is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:15.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.