Old 06 June 2012, 08:02   #41

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysucat View Post

I am considered an anarchist and deviant around here for building catamarans and then fitting some hydrofoils as well.
I think it's just racing rules that are not Hysucat friendly - the rest of us are really quite harmless although having a thick skin is very useful - sense of humours can be a bit warped!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 June 2012, 10:59   #42

Town: Cape Agulhas / Struisbaai
Boat name: Hysucat
Make: Hysucat
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2x200 Mercury Racing
Send a message via Skype™ to Hysucat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
I think it's just racing rules that are not Hysucat friendly - the rest of us are really quite harmless although having a thick skin is very useful - sense of humours can be a bit warped!
Thick skin - CHECK
Sense of humour - CHECK

and a willingness to compete.
Old 06 June 2012, 11:08   #43
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysucat View Post
Thick skin - CHECK
Sense of humour - CHECK

and a willingness to compete.
You'll do well around here then!
Old 06 June 2012, 11:39   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
You'll do well around here then!
I have a good sense of humour, somewhat dark at times. I have survived a few attacks in my time online here and elsewhere. A CAT(amaran) has 9 lives and claws to fight back with.
Old 06 June 2012, 12:46   #45

Town: hampshire
Length: 7m +
''but as far as I am aware the price of most manufactured products that go into a relatively small market is set by what the market can withstand, not how much it costs to produce. Economics controls this, not philanthropy.[/QUOTE]

true - until you go out of business! The chinese are coming, like it or not. It's only a matter of time before they get europeans to come out and get their quality and design sorted out.

British manufacturing is littered with the corporate corpses of companies that thought they could 'slag off' the competition in the vain hope that we would continue to buy british come what may. Failure to prepare for future competition and just charge what you can get away with just annoys customers and makes them look for cheaper alternatives elsewhere. Once these alternatives become available at the right quality and price - goodbye industry. Many yacht manufacturers have learnt this to their expense, you can't rely on 'ours are better than theirs' forever. At £35-£50000+ for a 6.5m rib with engine, i personally can't wait! (bear in mind you can get a new 30' yacht for just over £50000 with engine, sails etc).

It's sad but unfortunately true. I'm glad i'm not a rib manufacturer in europe. i may not be allowed an opinion as a manufacturer but i can certainly give user feedback!
Old 06 June 2012, 15:32   #46
NSS

Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellhouse View Post
''but as far as I am aware the price of most manufactured products that go into a relatively small market is set by what the market can withstand, not how much it costs to produce. Economics controls this, not philanthropy.
true - until you go out of business! The chinese are coming, like it or not. It's only a matter of time before they get europeans to come out and get their quality and design sorted out.

British manufacturing is littered with the corporate corpses of companies that thought they could 'slag off' the competition in the vain hope that we would continue to buy british come what may. Failure to prepare for future competition and just charge what you can get away with just annoys customers and makes them look for cheaper alternatives elsewhere. Once these alternatives become available at the right quality and price - goodbye industry. Many yacht manufacturers have learnt this to their expense, you can't rely on 'ours are better than theirs' forever. At £35-£50000+ for a 6.5m rib with engine, i personally can't wait! (bear in mind you can get a new 30' yacht for just over £50000 with engine, sails etc).

It's sad but unfortunately true. I'm glad i'm not a rib manufacturer in europe. i may not be allowed an opinion as a manufacturer but i can certainly give user feedback![/QUOTE]

Old 06 June 2012, 15:48   #47

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: snagglepuss
Make: Shetland
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90 hp Outboard
NSS

Not sure it will be China, wage rises over there have meant manual workers pay has gone up by a factor of 4 in the last 2 years. yes the starting point is very low, but at that rate I can see why many companies are buying the parts from where they can and then making it more locally. China is great for a million plastic widgets but is becoming less so for semi skilled labour. so ribs bits and parts china, full ribs ready to go not so sure.
Old 06 June 2012, 18:20   #48
nik

Town: east cowes
Make: academic
Length: no boat
Engine: fresh air
MMSI: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by clydeoutboards View Post
NSS

Not sure it will be China, wage rises over there have meant manual workers pay has gone up by a factor of 4 in the last 2 years. yes the starting point is very low, but at that rate I can see why many companies are buying the parts from where they can and then making it more locally. China is great for a million plastic widgets but is becoming less so for semi skilled labour. so ribs bits and parts china, full ribs ready to go not so sure.
I agree. Because of the "one child per family" policy and the propensity for couples to abort or abandon female children, there is now a shortage of young workers and they are getting more bolshy about the pay they get.
Caldera cushions went out there ten years ago. They have since seen pay go up by 500% and have a high turnover in staff.
They are now bringing production back to the uk.
Old 06 June 2012, 19:32   #49

Town: Pireus
Boat name: Joanna
Make: marin stiletto 737
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude ETEC 250
RIBase
I dont know anything about cars
I know that hydrosport boats except some consoles and jockey seats are totaly different stepped hull boats from Roughneck.
Hydro and Rough they are like two songs from the same music composer
different but all - both beautifull .... they write history !!
Old 06 June 2012, 19:47   #50

Town: HERACLION
Make: MY ONE
Length: 9m +
Engine: 2*350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgos View Post
I dont know anything about cars
I know that hydrosport boats except some consoles and jockey seats are totaly different stepped hull boats from Roughneck.
Hydro and Rough they are like two songs from the same music composer
different but all - both beautifull .... they write history !!
so just
Old 27 June 2012, 10:58   #51

I am not sure I would want to go to sea in something that has a sticker on that says; "Made in China"