Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 16 May 2005, 11:41   #21

Town: Saltash, Cornwall
Make: Rib less:-(
Length: no boat
So who makes the best then?
I did a search and there are quite a few refferences to Bennett but there are other manufacturers out there.
I also noticed that Bennett only use 306 Stainless not 316 so isn't that going to rot out quicker?
Rgds Jelly
Old 16 May 2005, 12:21   #22

Town: Inverkip
Boat name: Crusader
Make: Redbay 8.4 Exped
Length: 8m +
Engine: yamaha sterndrive
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly
So who makes the best then?
I did a search and there are quite a few refferences to Bennett but there are other manufacturers out there.
I also noticed that Bennett only use 306 Stainless not 316 so isn't that going to rot out quicker?
Rgds Jelly

just noticed that you have the same boat and engine as me jelly, do you feel your boat needs them coz i find i can just trim the engine even though the boat weighs 2 tons!!!
Old 16 May 2005, 13:14   #23

Town: Saltash, Cornwall
Make: Rib less:-(
Hi Craig
The previous owner Andy G fitted dowel fins to help it get up onto the plane. Mine is rather stern heavy, I think the newer models have the console and tanks further forward to compensate.
The fins I'm told by the Yam dealers is the reason my stearing developed a good slop. It could also be the stearing shaft seal leaked a bit and Yamaha's delightful design for the stearing are the real reasons - who knows!
As for the stearing you cant get the the top nut with out stripping the transom assemble and to get to the pinch nut in situ you need to cut the transom away more than normally done.
I think a balast test first would be cheeper I was just investigating.
Jelly
Old 16 May 2005, 14:34   #24

Town: Inverkip
Make: Redbay 11m Cabin
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha422Sti 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly
Hi Craig
The previous owner Andy G fitted dowel fins to help it get up onto the plane. Mine is rather stern heavy, I think the newer models have the console and tanks further forward to compensate.
The fins I'm told by the Yam dealers is the reason my stearing developed a good slop. It could also be the stearing shaft seal leaked a bit and Yamaha's delightful design for the stearing are the real reasons - who knows!
As for the stearing you cant get the the top nut with out stripping the transom assemble and to get to the pinch nut in situ you need to cut the transom away more than normally done.
I think a balast test first would be cheeper I was just investigating.
Jelly
Hi Jelly,
I dont think the Doel fins would make the steering sloppy, deffinatly poor design by Yamaha . My current boat has a bit of slop and having looked as some of ones at Redbays place they were the same...although some were worse than others.....most without fins fitted.
I have had a look at the manual for the legs and dont think there are any seals fitted its just a grease seal, and I'll be buggered if I can see how to tighten the pinch even with the transom cut
Andy.
Ps got the Lowrance working after a reset
Old 16 May 2005, 16:55   #25

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
With 4 people in my (4m) RIB it takes quite a while to plane. I'm thinking of adding Doel-fins; will these have the same affact as trim-tabs (im thinking of the auto ones here). Which would be best? (I have power-trim BTW)
Old 16 May 2005, 18:34   #26

Town: Los Angeles
Boat name: The Boot
Make: Avon SR4
Engine: 2000 Tohatsu 50
Hi Tim M,

I have a pair of Nauticus automatic (gas struts) trim tabson my Searider 4m. They work really well. The boat gets onto plane easily and handles the sea much better. However I don't think over the long haul they can stand up to the abuse of jumping around in heavy seas. I did break one actuator but had it replaced for free. My other small 4m rib fitted with a 30hp Suzuki had doelfins when I purchased it and they did not help at all. In fact they slowed the boat down.

I am now going to purchase Lenco, electric motor actuators, helm controlled tabs. I need to control of the tabs as well as something hopefully more durable. I am hoping that being electric instead of hydraulic they will be much easier to maintian.

Boatster
boatster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2005, 08:40   #27

Just got back tonight. It took all day to get the Lencos installed. After a short run in and outside the harbor I have to say the Lencos worked perfectly. I was cutting through the afternoon wind swell like a hot knife through butter. A few observations: the boat does not jump on to plain as well as with the Nauticus tabs, and it definitely requires more concentration having to man the trim tabs. I hope it just takes some getting used to. Of course I really need several days worth of use to fully understand how to use the Lencos so my current observations are merely anecdotal. For now I can definitely say the Smart Tabs are worth the money for what they give you, a smooth ride, worry free trim, and one less thing to control. However like I've stated before I need the adjustability for open water conditions and I think the Lencos fit the bill. My boat was hopping from swell to swell pretty much level all the way through, it was a drastic improvement for my setup. Since I didn't opt for the indicator switch, it made guessing how much adjustment was needed a little like steering in the dark. But then again I just need to go by feel instead of knowing exactly where the tabs are angled.

I do miss the trouble free use of the Smart Tabs but at the same time I've gained a huge safety/handling feature that I MUST have for going into open waters.

I will post more as I get more experience with the Lencos. Right now I am a very pleased with my investment.

Boatster
Old 02 June 2005, 20:02   #28

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Please don't forget to keep us updated!

Would also be interested to know what size tabs you fitted, and what price you paid over there?
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2005, 08:19   #29

Ok, update: It turns out the automatic trim tabs I had originally were much better suited for my boat than the adjustable Lencos . THere go's $400 down the drain, not to mention the time invested. I used 9"x9" tabs. It wasn't that they didn't work but rather that the automatic tabs worked far better and had superior shock absorbing qualities that I sorely neglected. Simply put I lost fuel economy, had a rougher ride, had to constantly fiddle with the adjustments, and well... The Nauticus tabs were cheap, easy to install, hands free, shock absorbing, and actually improved fuel economy. Anyone want to buy a pair of 2 week old Lenco trim tabs?

Seriously though, my boat did 1000 times better with the Nauticus tabs than they did with the Lencos. Oh well, now I know...

I already put the original tabs back on and threw all the other junk back into the box.
Old 24 June 2005, 11:39   #30

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
That's what ebay is for............
Old 24 June 2005, 12:42   #31

Town: scotland
Boat name: Leviathan
Make: Phantom
Engine: GM Diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Could be RIBS don't need them as much - especially ones built for rough water with deeper v hulls???
Yawn!...RIBs-shmibs. The deeper the 'V', the more you need tabs!

I can't imagine any boat, especially any single engined boat, that wouldn't benifit from remotely adjustable trim tabs.

This does of course depend on the operater having the understanding of their operation to get those benifits.

Their control of 'stability in roll', as Brian says, is alone, a good enough reason to have them.
One Season with, and you would never wanna be without. (as I say, assuming you know how to use them)

jf
Old 24 June 2005, 12:51   #32

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
JF - Which would you choose (I'm considering them for the race boat) Lencos or Bennets?
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2005, 12:54   #33

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
stability in roll

We were thinking along the same lines when travelling back from Ramsgate - so many different sea conditions - particularly between Beachy Head and Brighton where the waves were coming from the port bow - very, very uncomfortable.

Interesting choice between Lenco and Bennett - the electric Lenco tabs look attractive for self fit!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2005, 13:05   #34

Personally, of the two, I would have (do have) Bennett, the ST-16 (Sport-tab -16" long x 12" wide) has twin rams, and the tabs themselves are made from slightly thicker material and folded along the sides, way stronger than the standard Bennetts, although they are a little slower to react (move up & down) as the hydraulic pump is the same unit as the single ram models, but has to shift twice as much oil.

Don't fancy the electric ones, a mate (yes, I have got a couple) had them on his Sealine criuser, and they were shite, flimsy and unreliable.
Old 24 June 2005, 13:11   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee
JF - Which would you choose (I'm considering them for the race boat) Lencos or Bennets?
John, given your 'History', I'd go for kiekhaefer K-Planes!
Old 24 June 2005, 13:27   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Fuller
Personally, of the two, I would have (do have) Bennett, the ST-16 (Sport-tab -16" long x 12" wide) has twin rams, and the tabs themselves are made from slightly thicker material and folded along the sides, way stronger than the standard Bennetts, although they are a little slower to react (move up & down) as the hydraulic pump is the same unit as the single ram models, but has to shift twice as much oil.

Don't fancy the electric ones, a mate (yes, I have got a couple) had them on his Sealine criuser, and they were shite, flimsy and unreliable.
Do you have trim tab indicators and are they essential - I would have thought they are but if so why don't they come with them as standard??? Or can you just tell by the postion of the switches???
Old 24 June 2005, 13:37   #37

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
.... Or can you just tell by the postion of the switches???

Now, come on Codders, think this one through.....
Old 24 June 2005, 13:41   #38

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono
Think Codders will be wanting a gauge to tell him which way his out board is pointing
Old 24 June 2005, 16:19   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono
I don't know which is why I am asking!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF the switches move proportinally to the tabs then a quick glance at the switch positions would be enough but if it were that simple why sell led indicators???
Old 24 June 2005, 16:29   #40

Town: Newfoundland
Trim tab switches are usually simple rocker switches codprawn, no proportional movement, so visual gauges a must. Bennet tabs have LED type indicators IIRC.