Old 06 September 2012, 13:12   #1

Town: Solent
Make: Phantom 21
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 200hp V6
Hunton Powerboats.

Enquiring for a friend.

Has anyone had any experience with Hunton Powerboats, their RIBs in particular?

The designs seem pretty well thought through but wondered if there have ever been any issues with build quality? Their website states they do all the construction at their HQ in Southampton. Wondered if that's true or if the work is sub contracted to a well known nearby boatbuilders.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
Old 06 September 2012, 13:18   #2

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Zippy on here has a nice one (not RIB though) , but never heard of any issues, but then they are not common boats.

From what I have seen of them, very speed orientated ! ...

I just dont find the styling of the RIBs to my taste.
Old 06 September 2012, 13:51   #3

Length: no boat
Is that the guys based in Romsey? Didn't know they made ribs?
Old 06 September 2012, 13:52   #4

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
RIBase
We have a Hunton 9m Rib here at the Dry Stack. Customer seems very happy with it and I don't know of any build quality issues save these two: -

Deck self-bailers (cup and ball type) don't work! They certainly let water out, but flood the rear decks when stationary. They have been replace with new ones (from Hunton) but still dont work!

Triple battery set-up is extremely difficult to get to (you have to take two batteries out just to get to the terminals of the third).

Performance from the twin Verado 275's is excellent though - so if speed is your thing and you've got plenty of petrol money (£486 to go from Portsmouth to Yarmouth to Lymington to portsmouth), this is probably for you.

To paraphrase PeterM "I just don't find the costs of the ribs to my tsaste"!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hunton 9m Rib.jpg
Views:	934
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	71891  
Old 06 September 2012, 17:01   #5

Town: Crowthorne
Boat name: Neo One
Make: Hunton
Length: 9m +
Engine: I/B D6 350 DPR
MMSI: 235085476
Hunton Rib

We have a Hunton 904, "Neo One" our first boat, with a D6-350 and DPR leg, bought her at around 140 hrs, early last year now around has 180 hrs. 47.2kt is Vmax with 5-up and around 300 litres fuel, weight is 3000 to 3300kg. Recon on 3 nmpg mean, but fuel gauge is not reliable. She has no tabs so initially as a stop gap I loaded the anchor locker with 3 bags of builders sand. Massive difference in a head sea & low speed. Its still there. Also got Volvo auto-trim software installed, which works faultlessly. Its a great way of getting around and she shrinks the Solent very effectively. Wouldn't like to part with her any time soon.
Old 06 September 2012, 18:11   #6
nik

Town: east cowes
Make: academic
Length: no boat
Engine: fresh air
MMSI: N/A
The film Sahara had in it a Hunton XRS43, its not a rib but I did find myself lusting after it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hunton xrs43.jpg
Views:	3151
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	71904  
Old 06 September 2012, 18:19   #7

Town: New Forest
Boat name: Charlie Brown
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 275 Verado
MMSI: 235069179
Send a message via MSN to Zippy
Yup. We have an xrs37 which is a little longer than their ribs but similar in hull shape.

The rib hull derived from the 28 hard boat hull which was a fantastic hull so no reason to suspect otherwise with tubes on. I hear the 10 meter is a great ride and with twin yanmar 260s is very efficient to run as well!!! That said, ours With twin d6 350's is also very cheap to run if you are gentle with the loud levers! Running at 35 kts engine are pulling around 2500 rpm and barely working.

Unless the throttles were wide open (55+kts all the time) there is no way ours would use the sort of fuel mentioned earlier but another story!

I have never driven anything faster than out hunton but it is simply amazing! I was out with Martin from hunton going for a spot of lunch and we found ourselves heading to Yarmouth at 58 kts and not even realising it!

Our experience of the 37, it needs to be driven carefully at sort of speed (as does anything) and make sure they land level (like any boat)

Will sent you a pm. Nice also to get comments from another owner as well!
Old 06 September 2012, 21:09   #8

Town: Solent
Make: Phantom 21
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 200hp V6
Thanks a lot for your input guys, it's much appreciated. It's good to hear that they get such a good report.

My friend is looking at the Hunton 1005 RIB. Either the twin Yanmar 260 inboard diesels or the twin 350 outboards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
I hear the 10 meter is a great ride and with twin yanmar 260s is very efficient to run as well!!!
Any chance of some figures from anyone? All well and good reading the literature but you can never guarantee it's accuracy.

Thanks again and any more comments are welcome.....
Old 07 September 2012, 07:48   #9

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny2488 View Post
Thanks a lot for your input guys, it's much appreciated. It's good to hear that they get such a good report.

My friend is looking at the Hunton 1005 RIB. Either the twin Yanmar 260 inboard diesels or the twin 350 outboards.

Any chance of some figures from anyone? All well and good reading the literature but you can never guarantee it's accuracy.

Thanks again and any more comments are welcome.....
Hunton's are well made and lovely boats - we run a pair of the Yanmar 260's in the race boat and they are great and very economical - not sure which drives they fit on the Hunton so can't comment on that.
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote