Old 29 July 2003, 21:24   #1

Town: Torbay
Boat name: Marlin
Make: PBS humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115 optimax!!
Humber Ribs

I am thinking of getting a 7m Humber Destroyer with a Suzuki 140hp 4 stroke. Does anyone have any experiences with humber boats, they seem to offer a lot for your money. I am going to get bucket seats for driver & co-pilot (as I am in a wheelchair and fall off jockey seats) and a bench seat at the rear to get my diving kit on. Any suggestion gratefully received.

ribnwheels
Old 29 July 2003, 21:58   #2

Town: Lymington
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 10m +
Engine: Yamaha
Bloody good effort, I fall off jockey seats too.

Quite a few years back we had a 5.3 Humber Attaque, owned it for about 8 years and it was bloody good. A very good sea boat and very light and managable. They don't have the best reputation but I think they are a good value boat. I own Ribtecs now which I prefer but for value for money I reckon the Humber wins. I tested a destroyer (6 m ) some time back and thought it was good.

Best of luck

stuart
Old 29 July 2003, 22:07   #3

Town: Brixham, Devon
Boat name: FLY-BY/FLY-BY II
Make: Ribcraft/Avon
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 175/Yamaha 30
Humbers

A customer of mine has just taken delivery of a new 5.5m with a Yamaha 60 4 stoke. I spent a day out on it last week in very rough conditions off Dartmouth and I was very impressed by the hull. Build quality was good. A couple of teething problems but nothing major and excellent value for money.

Torbay & Dartmouth Powerboat School
01803 855508
The South West Premier RYA Powerboat Training Centre
www.powerboat-instruction.co.uk
David Hickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2003, 22:24   #4

Thanks

Would also be interested in what else is available new for similar money if anyone has any suggestions.

Ribnwheels
Old 29 July 2003, 22:25   #5

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
I owned a Destroyer 6.5, latterly with a Suzuki 200, for 7 years. I liked it a lot. Build quality can be variable and sometimes very poor. Do your best to make sure it is made properly. Difficult.

I sold it earlier this year to a group of divers. They are delighted with it. Here is a copy of their email to me after there first diving trip. Merganser is the boat's name and Corry is the Corryvreckan.

"Hi J,

We just got back last night at 2 am!

The Garvellachs went excellent. We had two ribs and made great time.
Merganser never fails to impress - even with old cynical hands! For 7
fully kitted divers with second tanks to be able to cruise at 35mph with a
top of 41 was v. impressive. We also had her through the Corry on the
previous night - 13 of us but no kit. Just a sight-seeing trip after
diving the S of Jura.
She'll be out once or twice a week, mainly on the clyde but we are staring
to plan a wee trip to Tobermory with some diving N of Ardnamurchan on
Scotland's most famous scenic dive: Bo Faskadale.

All the best, R

PS The GOTO button is tops!! "

The next email I received said simply, " The boat's great."

So there you go. Hope this helps.
Old 29 July 2003, 22:30   #6

has anyone got anything to add about the suzuki 140hp 4 stroke. I've always had yamahas in the past and are reluctant to change, but the savings are making a suzuki more likely at present.

Cheers

Ribnwheels
Old 29 July 2003, 22:35   #7

Don't know about the fourstroke but my DT200 was outstanding and I buy another one without hesitation. Coupled with a torqueshift prop - outstanding.

140hp is not much for a 7mtr boat.
Old 29 July 2003, 22:36   #8

Town: Milford Haven
Boat name: Various
Make: Commercial
Engine: Screw / Voith / Jets
Send a message via MSN to Alex Brown
Yup, I have a Suzuki 140 4-Stroke coupled upto a 6m Humber Destroyer.

Have had a couple of teething problems, sorted quickly by Humber's good support.

Tis late now so can't write any more (having problems seeing monitor, and getting words in the right places at the mo).

Cast your eye over http://www.ribseadrive.co.uk/gallery/ for pics.
I will poost more in the morning.

-Alex
Old 30 July 2003, 08:30   #9

Town: Helston, Cornwall
Boat name: Silver Fern
Make: Rayglass Protector
Engine: 2 x 250hp Verado
MMSI: 235024092
Send a message via AIM to gingercoastie Send a message via MSN to gingercoastie
If your back is the problem then the Humber will give you a good soft ride. I broke 2 vertebra, luckily I am not in a wheelchair but my back is very sensative. I have had no problems with the ride yes, and we have been out in sea that scared the wife to death.

Its all got to go - make me an offer...............

Skype - alexgreig
gingercoastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2003, 09:22   #10

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Bl**dy hell you guys are making me feel a wimp. I slipped a disc last year and the risk of reoccuring has lead me to give up Ribbing other than in calmish conditions (hence selling the boat).
And that was all in a bigger boat than your humber so much respect to you both!
Old 30 July 2003, 09:27   #11

Make: FB 55
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan
Bl**dy hell you guys are making me feel a wimp.
That's cause you are one!!
Old 30 July 2003, 18:24   #12

open to suggestions on other possible engines for this rib - definitely a 4 stroke though. this 7m will only ever be lightly loaded, 4 divers max, other than that just water skiing with a few mates. The boat can take upto 250hp - I'm trying to get the balance right between needed power plus a bit in reserve and fuel ecomony as well as initial purchase price - What a headache!!

If any other wheelchair users are out there, if they didn't know a new boat can be bought VAT exempt. This is an area the inland revenue know little about put provided certain adaptions are made to the boat it will be VAT exempt. Be prepared to argue with the VAT people though!

Ribnwheels
Old 30 July 2003, 19:58   #13

Town: Milford Haven
Boat name: Various
Make: Commercial
Engine: Screw / Voith / Jets
Send a message via MSN to Alex Brown
I said I'd write this morning, but got caught up with work at work oddly enough so couldn't

The 140 Suzuki 4-stroke on the back of the 6m Humber Destroyer is a good combination I reckon. When I first wrote to Humber at about this time last year (in speculative mode), I asked them for costings of a reasonably priced 6m rib (mentioned the Destroyer), and a suitable engine to go on the back (4-stroke pref).

They came back with the 6m Destroyer, with Suzuki 140 4-stroke package including trailer and everything. At the time, I had only read reviews of the 140 unit, which had come out quite well.

If I remember right, sometime beginning of last year when it was new out, they tested the Suzuki 140 on the back of an Ocean Extreme 7m Humber in RIB International - I don't recall a bad word said about it.
Anyhow, to actually see the engine, I trundled down to the Southampton boat show, saw a 225 Honda with water trickling out the back, and thought 'wow'. I think about 3 boats across was a zodiac rib with twin suzuki 140 4-strokes on the back, also with water trickling out the back.... but where was the noise?! Both units were running, but they were pretty much silent.
I then went on to have a look at the Humber Ocean Pro which had a 115 Suzuki on the back, equally as quiet. Unfortunately, doing a trial was out of the question cos of the low speed limit down there in soton, so I took everyone's word for it being good

Eventually ordered the 6m Destroyer, with 140 4-stoke from Humber, and took delivery in December last year. After a painfully cold run in time, the engine didn't reach max revs, but now, I have changed to stainless, I am reaching nearly 6000 revs, and maxing out at 43knots with trim right out. Obviously you don't go flying everywhere at that speed, but the boat will cruise quite nicely at 26 knots using about 4500revs on the engine (which Suzuki reckon is the most fuel efficient).

I did my powerboat L1 and L2 2 day course with a local diver charter company on a Destroyer 7m rib I think it was, with Johnson 200hp venom engine - I can never forget the power, and the dry ride, even in the rough stuff.

An alternative engine I'd guess now could be the Yamaha 150 4-stoke engine which is new out this year.

Bit of a long'n that - if you want any more info, feel free to pm or e-mail me.

Thanks,

-Alex
Old 30 July 2003, 22:15   #14

Town: Iver, Bucks, UK
Boat name: Prime Rib II
Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Engine: Mercruiser 1.7 diese
MMSI: 235086032
I don't know, You outboard speed freaks.....

Ribnwheels,
Get the wider ocean pro and stick a mercruiser 1.7 diesel in it. May be a little slower but you'll cruise at 25 knots and it'll only cost you about £3 per hour.

Had mine for a year now and very pleased. It's doing everything I wanted and it is a very soft boat, certainly better in that regard than the 5.8 Ribcraft I had before. A few teething troubles which I had to sort and yes, the finish in places could have had a little more finesse perhaps but it was certainly cheaper than some of the competition. Super dry console too! I don't think I'll be taking it anywhere that will break it! Go for it and enjoy!

Mike C
Old 30 July 2003, 23:07   #15

The size of the engine will make very little difference to the fuel consumption. For a given boat/load/speed the same type(ie. 4, 2 stroke or diesel) with give approximately the same consumption. The difference is in the way the power is delivered and, of course, with a larger engine you are likely to drive faster. As a comparison with Alex's example, my 6.5, which was heavily loaded, with 200Suzi cruised at 40knots @ 4000rpm. Very soft and not at all busy and strident as is the case with a smaller motor working hard.
If speed does not really matter, go with Mike C's suggestion of a 1.7 Mercruiser and bravo 1.
However, cruising easily and unstrained all day at 40knots is nice.

With regard to ride quality the Destroyer will give quite a firm ride if it is reasonably heavily loaded because the tubes are low set on the hull and, on landing, the tubes will meet the water soon and check the softness of the V hull. A good prop, which will keep the drive on whilst re-entering, and, therefore, keep the bow up and keep the boat moving, will make a big difference to the ride quality. More than most folk realise. No prizes for my recommendation
Old 30 July 2003, 23:11   #16

Town: Isle of Skye
Boat name: Seafari - VHF CH 71
Make: Humbers+Catamaran
Engine: Volvo/Iveco/Suzuki
Boats or Outboards???

Here

thought this was about boats, this thread?? if you want to P*ss and moan about the things you have put on the back of the boat-----fine?? your choice - and you live with it --- has nothing to do with the boat itself?? - unless you are in a rocking chair, bumping your gums...........

I have Now a 7m, an 8.5, and now a new 9.5m Humber -- no problems. - used to the full.

Pete
Old 30 July 2003, 23:35   #17

Yeh, Pete. I've finished fitting the underdeck tanks to my offshore. You should see whats inside, or, rather, not inside the hull. PM me and I'll frighten you.
Old 30 July 2003, 23:36   #18

Needless to say, mine's now a very good hull.
Old 31 July 2003, 18:49   #19

the tubes sitting low on the hull is most likely to help me. When stationary it is easier for me to get into the boat, the lower to the water it is. From my calculations the 1.7 inboard works out to be about 6k dearer. Has anyone waterskiied off a diesel rib? Is the pick up ok or too slow to pull siers out the hole?

J walker - by the way, the other top consideration was a 6.3m 1.7tdi rib. Which other boats did you consider?
Old 31 July 2003, 21:31   #20

Town: Dartmouth
I don't think you could water ski off the back of a boat like this. I wanted to build a Diesel inboard next season for wake-boarding but i have'nt come across a diesel inboard which would pull you out of the water quick enough yet. Anyone know any more? Change of prop perhaps???