Old 12 June 2016, 17:47   #1

Town: halifax
Make: zodiac,bombard
Length: 4m +
Engine: 20hp,50hp Johnson
Humber rib advice

I am looking at buying a 1996 Humber 6.0M rib, have any of you guys have experience with these boats, what is the ideal size single engine for them?, how seaworthy are they? and are they of any good quality? any help is welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6m humber.JPG
Views:	440
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	113695  
Old 12 June 2016, 18:01   #2

Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailit View Post
I am looking at buying a 1996 Humber 6.0M rib, have any of you guys have experience with these boats,
Plenty of Humber owners around...
Quote:
what is the ideal size single engine for them?, how seaworthy are they?
You're gonna need to provide some more info... There is more than 1 humber design. So you need to know which model you are looking at. If you don't know and the seller doesn't know then a picture from the bow, in profile and from the stern and someone who knows enough will be along to say which they think it is. Ideally with a length and where that length was measured (i.e. is it 6m nose tip to end of tubes or transom)
Quote:
and are they of any good quality? any help is welcome.

I think there is an opinion that they are generally OK build quality but sometimes leave the factory lacking "refinement" (i.e. its done quickly and so open a hatch and there will be rough edges, fit-out might not be well thought out in terms of cable runs etc. Depending on the age of the boat its past owners may well have discovered and fixed any issues. The chat seems to be more of a cosmetic nature rather than a "the transom will fall off as soon as you put it in water" nature...
Old 12 June 2016, 18:15   #3

Town: west wales
Make: humber destroyer 5m
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90 yamaha
Looks like a 6m destroyer.
If it has a single chine either side of the v hull its a destroyer, if it has multiple chines then its an ocean pro I think.
Tough as old boots and a cracking sea boat
anything from a single 70 (boring but safe) to about 150hp
(fun but over powered) will do.
Twins , 40s up to 90's (heh heh)
Possibly not as neatly finished as some other boats but they sell a hell of a lot of them.
Commercial spec, popular with divers and the police etc. Coded versions have a double transom
Old 12 June 2016, 18:26   #4

looks like it must be a Destroyer
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	$_27.JPG
Views:	290
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	113696  
Old 12 June 2016, 19:00   #5

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Yep, that's a Destroyer. I had a 6.5mtr for a number of years. A pair of 50s on a 6mtr is acceptable but a bit boring performance wise. The boat and hull design are sound. Given that it's twenty years old, you need to look at anything age related - Check for cracks around the transom knees, particularly where they meet the deck and look for hairline cracks in the gelcoat on the outer hull a few feet back from the bow area. There will be a well below the engines and a lever type bung was fitted into a hole through to the inner hull. Remove the bung, there shouldn't be any water in there. Mine stayed airtight for the whole of its life with me and, on a warm day, the air inside the hull popped out under pressure when the bung was removed. If you find water in there, you need to find out why. If there is no physical damage and it has been stored covered, it'll likely be fine and if your picture is current it looks pretty good for its age. Would I buy it if I wanted it? Depends on price. They were a cheap boat to buy when they were first released so shouldn't be over priced now but they are a good boat.
Old 12 June 2016, 19:02   #6

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Humber rib advice

Need to see the chines to tell, but either are very good long established and tested hulls. The OP with more chines gets up quicker and sits slightly higher, pushing waves away more. But a more expensive hull. Neither are the fastest as they're a deep V, but it's a trade off for being great in a sea. Previous posts stating standard of finish are to some degree true. That said, it's like buying a Kia vs Ford vs BMW, it's relative to cost and the value you perceive.

We bought a 2010 (?) boat and had no problems at all. But edges and glass are perhaps not as "finished" as a more expensive brand.

Great sea boat though.
Old 12 June 2016, 19:19   #7

what are the tubes made of? it is a very good deal and i would be ditching the twins for a single bigger motor.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	$_27 (1).JPG
Views:	287
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	113697  
Old 12 June 2016, 21:47   #8

Town: Douglas
Length: no boat
I would suggest a Suzuki DF 90 up to a DF 140.
Old 13 June 2016, 07:31   #9

Quote:
what are the tubes made of? it is a very good deal and i would be ditching the twins for a single bigger motor.

It's not an OP for sure. Destroyer.

Hypalon.
Old 13 June 2016, 17:42   #10

Town: Lancashire
Engine: Suzuki 140
All correct advice.
Attention to detail isn't one of Humbers strong points but most issues are just cosmetic and can be sorted yourself if needed. Or just use as is.
The things that count - Hull, transom, deck, tubes, etc are usually strong and robust although I believe the occasional Friday afternoon boat slips through the net.
I'd go nearer to 140hp if you can as they are heavy boats with a very deep V. Suzuki DF are good but so are most of the other household name outboards these days.
Old 13 June 2016, 18:26   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjj216 View Post
All correct advice.
Attention to detail isn't one of Humbers strong points but most issues are just cosmetic and can be sorted yourself if needed. Or just use as is.
The things that count - Hull, transom, deck, tubes, etc are usually strong and robust although I believe the occasional Friday afternoon boat slips through the net.
I'd go nearer to 140hp if you can as they are heavy boats with a very deep V. Suzuki DF are good but so are most of the other household name outboards these days.

Agreed re points especially the 140hp if going 4stroke on a 6m destroyer, a sooz would fit well. Mate has a 100 4s on and it's a bit sluggish, especially in a sea or loaded up.
Old 13 June 2016, 18:28   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjj216 View Post
All correct advice.

other household name outboards these days.[/QUOTE]

Agreed re points especially the 140hp if going 4stroke on a 6m destroyer, a sooz would fit well. Mate has a 100 4s on and it's a bit sluggish, especially in a sea or loaded up.
Old 13 June 2016, 19:45   #13
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
a sooz would fit well.
Why would a Suzuki fit any better? Are the critical dimensions not all standardised?
Old 13 June 2016, 20:18   #14

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
What's the hull rated at? If the boat is as heavy as implied, a DF140 might be a tad disappointing .

Sh1t happens
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2016, 21:42   #15

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
.... a DF140 might be a tad disappointing...
I agree. I had a 200hp on my 6.5mtr and the performance was about right. However, the transom needed strengthening to take the pounding. I don't think the hull is any heavier than other comparable ribs and the boat in the picture, with only a small console, will be fairly light.

Humber made different claims to the power rating of the Destroyer hull during the production run and I'd be very surprised if it was based on anything other than guesswork.

Tags
rib