Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Quote:
Originally Posted by hector View Post
Yeah trailer is important ! So important I subconsciously mentioned it again! I like that boat a lot but would need to find the extra 4 k and something a bit more utilitarian would maybe suit better! I have just sold a searider after all!

cheers for all the advice!
It might not have grey tubes but I can't think of anything "utilitarian" that it wouldn't be capable of doing very well. Unless by that you mean it's too nice and you'll probably trash it in which case get yourself a Humber...
Old 05 September 2010, 18:32   #22

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by martini View Post
It might not have grey tubes but I can't think of anything "utilitarian" that it wouldn't be capable of doing very well. Unless by that you mean it's too nice and you'll probably trash it in which case get yourself a Humber...
Jigsaw has removable rear pods for "utilitarian" mode. Oh, and did I mention? It comes with a BRAND NEW trailer.
Old 05 September 2010, 19:05   #23

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Jigsaw has removable rear pods for "utilitarian" mode. Oh, and did I mention? It comes with a BRAND NEW trailer.

If I did not own one already it would cetainly be at the top of my list

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 September 2010, 19:07   #24

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
If I did not own one already it would cetainly be at the top of my list
Me too.
Old 05 September 2010, 19:29   #25

Length: 6m +
Engine: outboard 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Well u have certainly gave me something to dwell on! One question though? What has/have so many people got against Humber? Is it from bad experience? Is it a case of you get what you pay for?
Old 05 September 2010, 19:35   #26

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Many years ago they were well known for tubes separating from the hull, though to be fair they were very good about sorting it out usually.

Fit and finish is not to the same standard as many other ribs but like you say, you get what you pay for.

My suggestion is always to get the absolute most you can squeeze out of your budget. Then beat your grandmother about the head and nick her pension
Old 05 September 2010, 22:35   #27

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
Quote:
Well u have certainly gave me something to dwell on! One question though? What has/have so many people got against Humber? Is it from bad experience? Is it a case of you get what you pay for?
No. It's because they're built in the north if England and most of the people moaning live in the south and consider Yorkshiremen too thick and unsophisticated to build anything and have never been to their factory/boatyard. Humber have probably built more boats than all the others mentioned put together, and most of them are still around doing sterling service - all over the world. Some early ones are a bit 'utilitarian', but then they were all custom built to owners requirements and their latest offerings couldn't be faulted by RIB International mag when they were tested. If they were crap boats they'd have been out of business years ago (they've been in it longer than almost any other builder anyway). They have a couple of the best hulls in the business, copied by many others.

I have had no problems with mine in ten years. To be fair, a member on here, BruceB, bought a hull a couple of years ago and he's had problems with the transom. (do a search for the story).

I'm not usually so pissed off with RIBnetters, but I feel your question and thread has been hijacked by self interested people and you're not getting a considered answer.
Old 06 September 2010, 09:52   #28

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by alystra View Post
and most of them are still around doing sterling service - all over the world.
One example - Mine was built in 1984, and has done service as an FRC in the north sea (pensioned off due to the regs changing & it becoming physically too small to carry on) then saw life as a rescue boat at a sailing club, and then had another owner before I bought her 2 years ago.

Going by the filled holes & marks I found on the transom under the paint she's outlived at least three engines, and is still as solid as the day she left the factory, and still with the original toobs.

The hull was sold as the "Seasafe" and rated for a 2- stroke 60Hp. Now sold as the O Pro 2m Beam with beefed up rear end to take a 4- stroke 90.

Fantastic seakeeping to the point I can stay seated in places my old SR became a h*lluva bumpy uncomfortable ride.
Old 06 September 2010, 10:06   #29

Town: Cowes
Engine: 225 Opti
I have had an 8m Humber for quite some time. It is a well built, solid boat. it is quite heavy but i dont see this as a negative point, not the fastest but seaworthy. The tubes are the originals and dont really look much more than a season old (I do look after it though!), they are very tough. She is a tube dragger so very stable (although you pay with some top end speed) and downwind in a large following sea there are few boats that can keep up, a little wet in a cross wind.
i have found Humber pretty helpful with my occasional queries but have never had to deal with anything serious.
the finishing touches are probably the weak point but these are easily sorted (and have been). it is this area where you get what you pay for...
had a 750 ribcraft, well put together boat and looked nice and although a dry and seaworthy boat it was not an inspiring drive.
Osprey, never driven one but they seem to be rated highly.
Humbers do seem to be built to last in my opinion.
We have been through some very bad weather together and it has never let me down. It handles well and is predictable and surefooted.
Everyone is going to champion their own choice of brand, i have driven a lot of different ribs, had a couple and i like this one very much.
I hope this helps...
Old 06 September 2010, 11:00   #30
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Ah you may have fallen into the internet forum trap of hearing the vocal minority above the silent majority. There are just over 8,500 registered members. Theres probably 850 regular users, and about 85 sad gits who spend more time here than on their boats (inc me!) checking several times a day. Of those a tiny handful (less than 1% of the regular users) have had something negative to say about Humber. More users list a Humber in their profile than claim a Searider, Ribcraft or Osprey etc. So they can't be that bad!

Like all internet sites Ribnet suffers from people who shout loudly about the brands they currently own. Basically its brand snobbery - you'll be only too aware of the same thing in the motoring world. What are you looking for in a boat brand? a Ford, a Volkswagen, a Ferrari etc?

It would certainly be on my shortlist - whilst some of the others have built a reputation for amazing quality they've also got a reputation for being pricey. There are enough examples of some of the so called the better brands having niggles that need sorting to convinvce me, that just as in the car world, paying more doesn't necessarily garuntee a trouble free experience.
Old 06 September 2010, 13:24   #31

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
There are enough examples of some of the so called the better brands having niggles that need sorting to convinvce me, that just as in the car world, paying more doesn't necessarily garuntee a trouble free experience.
Indeed, have a look at the JDPower surveys - more often than not, there is a matter of a few points of percentage between the top 5 in the reliability stakes, even although popular opinion would have you believe that certain brands of vehicle are hugely more reliable than others.
Old 06 September 2010, 18:26   #32

Town: southampton
Boat name: Time Flies
Make: Humber ocean pro 6.3
Engine: volvo D3
Hi I have an ocean pro 6.3 inboard diesel, cant say I've any problems, did buy it 2nd hand. Now 9 year old, will buy another but hull and consule only. been through some rough seas handles very well. Has a dive set up.

Friend has ocean pro 6.3 with verado 150 3year old went back to humber twice with transom cracks, transom now double the thickness.

Chris.
Old 06 September 2010, 20:11   #33

Town: Glasgow
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris p View Post
Hi I have an ocean pro 6.3 inboard diesel, cant say I've any problems, did buy it 2nd hand. Now 9 year old, will buy another but hull and consule only. been through some rough seas handles very well. Has a dive set up.

Friend has ocean pro 6.3 with verado 150 3year old went back to humber twice with transom cracks, transom now double the thickness.

Chris.

Hi Chris, Can you give me an idea of the performance / consumption figures for your rib?
Old 06 September 2010, 20:21   #34

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Ocean pro 6.3, it's a tried and tested hull by many in many environments. I'vefound it very dry and seaworthy after having a 5.4 searider.

150 optimax. 1-1.5 l per mile, speed and weight dependant. 50mph wot with 140L on board two up.

I think they humber are of similar ilk other than the new sport numbers. Practical, solid, high shear bow for dryness, deep V and great sea handling with tubes touching water at the rear so v stable but not the fastest. Interior is just how you spec it and who fits it. The more luxury you want the more you pay.
Old 06 September 2010, 22:04   #35

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
sorry 175 opti! It's late!
Old 06 September 2010, 22:36   #36

Town: telford
Make: shakespeare
Engine: 150 optimax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Ah you may have fallen into the internet forum trap of hearing the vocal minority above the silent majority. There are just over 8,500 registered members. Theres probably 850 regular users, and about 85 sad gits who spend more time here than on their boats (inc me!) checking several times a day. Of those a tiny handful (less than 1% of the regular users) have had something negative to say about Humber. More users list a Humber in their profile than claim a Searider, Ribcraft or Osprey etc. So they can't be that bad!

Like all internet sites Ribnet suffers from people who shout loudly about the brands they currently own. Basically its brand snobbery - you'll be only too aware of the same thing in the motoring world. What are you looking for in a boat brand? a Ford, a Volkswagen, a Ferrari etc?

It would certainly be on my shortlist - whilst some of the others have built a reputation for amazing quality they've also got a reputation for being pricey. There are enough examples of some of the so called the better brands having niggles that need sorting to convinvce me, that just as in the car world, paying more doesn't necessarily garuntee a trouble free experience.
well put polwart, although garuntee is spelt guarantee,
Old 08 September 2010, 20:57   #37

I bought a new rib from Humber in 2007 (nov), the fabric is now showing signs of blistering. The response from Humber was to cover it with 'patches'. My opinion would be to pay for a more expensive craft with a higher quality tube fabric, also a proven aftersales service.
Check the warranty on faulty materials etc.
Old 08 September 2010, 22:02   #38

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by alystra View Post
I'm not usually so pissed off with RIBnetters, but I feel your question and thread has been hijacked by self interested people and you're not getting a considered answer.
Thats just Bollicks, no one has said that Humber are no good simply that there may be other and possibly better options out there. I tried Humber, Ribcraft, Ribeye(don't tell Twim) and Ribtecs out when I was in the market for a new boat and liked all of them I just felt the rib I bought was the better boat. As with any posts on here it is only my opinion and you are welcome to listen or ignore it.

Rogue Wave has a lot of experience in driving most makes of Rib in some of the most challenging conditions Ribs are used in, many of which are large Humbers of derivatives of. He has no axe to grind and has never owned an Osprey.

THe boat that is being recommended by Mollers is owned by someone who "knows their stuff" when it comes to putting a rib together and the boat is a well put together proven rig. Whats wrong with suggesting it is a good buy

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 September 2010, 22:15   #39

Town: telford
Make: shakespeare
Engine: 150 optimax
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyMarine View Post
I bought a new rib from Humber in 2007 (nov), the fabric is now showing signs of blistering. The response from Humber was to cover it with 'patches'. My opinion would be to pay for a more expensive craft with a higher quality tube fabric, also a proven aftersales service.
Check the warranty on faulty materials etc.
your tube material, pennel orca should have a 5 year warranty, it should be up to humber to inspect it and take it up with pennel