Old 01 February 2005, 15:42   #1

Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140hp suzuki
humber ocean pro 6.3m

hello again, i have posted a thread earlier comparing this rib to an avon 620 adventure, and agree its the correct way to go, with a suzuki 140hp, ++++++what kind of performance could i expect matching this boat with engine, ++++++also is there a significant difference between the 6.3m, and the 6m boats that warrants a 500 quid price diff?
++++ also it has no feedback cable steering rated to i think 200hp, is this ok on this boat and size of engine, will it be manageable, eg to turn the thing? as hydraulic steering is not cheap and leaves one more thing that could go wrong.
++++also i am thinking of an A frame to allow mainly for an automatic self righting bag at top of A frame, is this necessary, also is an A frame necessary for watersports?
+++++does anyone have any pictured of decent size of this boat, also of the interior because i would like to see what kind of finish you get on the leisure layout, and depth of the inside. would an old 4hp johnson 2 str be ok for an emergemncy backup? its not a great engine i know, but will it move the thing? its a lot of questions i know, but responses would be great!!

I Currently have a ZODIAC PRO 9 MAN rib for sale with suzuki 50hp, all 2003 with lots of gear!
Old 01 February 2005, 16:00   #2

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Engine: PCM 5.7l
Go for Hydraulic steering, it really does transform a rib. No feedback steering is ok, although the steering will be rather heavy, but if you possibly can I'd go for hydraulic.

6m - 6.3m...when your out in rough weather it'll cross your mind that a 6.3 would have been more comfortable.

As for the A-frame, no its not needed for watersports...at all. It takes a special frame to tow a skier off, a standard a-frame will break. However i would say, go for one anyway. We have a light pole instead of an a-frame, and it does the job, but there will always be something else that could do with going on the a-frame that we dont have room for on a light pole.

Self-righting bag - Very few ribs have them fitted, expensive to buy, costs money to maintain. Doubtful you would ever need to use it unless, like the rnli you have to go out, whatever the conditions.
Old 01 February 2005, 17:36   #3
tue

Town: Paignton, Devon
Make: Chinook and Viking
Length: 7m +
Engine: 150 Etec + 125 Merc
I agree with simmons0 about the hydraulic steering. Infact it will last alot longer than cable steering. The 4 hp should move the boat ok. As its your backup make sure you have it regulary serviced and run it often, so you know if you need it, it will work!!!!
Old 01 February 2005, 17:48   #4

Town: Milford Haven
Boat name: Various
Make: Commercial
Length: 10m +
Engine: Screw / Voith / Jets
Send a message via MSN to Alex Brown
Definately agree on the hydraulic bit - it's a doddle to steer at high speeds with the Suzuki on the back of my Humber.
Only thing with the a-frame, if you want self-righting, looking at Humber's literature, images with a self-righting bag show a more serious (looks heavier and probably stronger) looking a-frame than the double stainless a-frame I have.
The 4hp should get you to around 4knots (my suzuki 4hp 4stroke does around 4.5knots wot).
If you want to see pics of double a-frame, I have one on the back of my rib - goto my link below and click gallery.

-Alex
Old 01 February 2005, 19:11   #5
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Go for the 6.3. It's the only boat I've owned that I regret selling. Coupled with a Suzuki 140, it'll be a really nice rig. Worth the extra for hydraulic steering on that size engine. Unless your engine is rigged to start after immersion, it's pointless to have self righting kit.

Humber do sometimes take shortcuts with the fit out so make sure things like aerials are fixed to the A frame and not the console. Also make sure that, if they supply the trailer, it's big enough for the job.

DM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0053.JPG
Views:	322
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	10247   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0054.JPG
Views:	303
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	10248  
Old 02 February 2005, 10:32   #6

thanks for the info, how is the build quality of the interior of the boat, like the console and seating? is it grp? is there storage on the boat? also how do people find it for example getting on the plane, and how practical the boat is, say launching and towing?
Old 02 February 2005, 12:57   #7

Town: Peak District
Boat name: Plastique
Make: PRO Sport
Engine: Suzuki DF115 4st.
MMSI: 235015228
Send a message via Yahoo to ScottyDog
The hydraulic steering option seems to be popular, I have to agree I had no feedback and it was not pleasant, heavy, sticky, awkward to maintain etc. I got a Baystar compact kit from Barnet Marine for £399 delivered inc. Vat and had it fitted by a marine engineer in about 3 hours. It is very light and smooth. It will take 140 no problem. I considered the 140 to get more performance but settled for a 115 as most people who had tried both engines on the same boats had said there was little difference.

As for aux motor, the engineer who is also a lifeboat man, said after seeing some people make almost no headway with a tiny outboard he felt the best power to weight ratio and optimum size was a 15 hp Mariner 2 stroke. He suggested the extra power would make all the difference when things went bad. One guy managed 1 mile in 3 hours because of the tiny output of his aux. I am inclined to share his view. The premix is a pain but not unsurmountable.
Old 02 February 2005, 15:29   #8

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
That's an excellent screen on hedlew cuik, I been banging on about sorting our screens or lack them for ages.
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 February 2005, 23:28   #9

thank you all for your replies, i agree that hydraulic seems the way to go! does anyone know what possible speeds and mpg i would roughly expect with the 140 suzuki on this boat, also will a small 4x4 like a rav4 diesel, or nissan x-trail be ok with it including landing off slipways and gentle beaches? how rooms is this boat? eg with two single jockeys and a bench seat to rear, and finally a silly question really, as its impossible to please all, but for other people on cruises is it possible to have an area to sunbathe, haha. many thanks for responses again!
Old 03 February 2005, 11:33   #10

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Engine: PCM 5.7l
You could use a 2wd Estate car to pull a 6.3m, any large engined estate or 4x4 will do the job fine.
Although, dont take a 2wd near the beach.

Cant say ive ever seen a Humber with a sun bed.
Speed i'd say somewhere around the 40knot mark
Old 04 February 2005, 23:22   #11

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon123
...anyone know what possible speeds and mpg i would roughly expect with the 140 suzuki on this boat, ...

Guessing...42-45mph depending on the load you carry.