Old 01 August 2008, 18:25   #1

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
Humber Ocean Pro 2.6m beam

Does anyone on this forum have a 6.0 metre version in this beam? If so how does it perform in comparison to the 6.0 metre 2.34 beam?

I'm trying to put together a realistic spec for our next dive boat, so looking at boats that are towable by a large saloon car with room for divers and asociated junk.
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 August 2008, 18:52   #2

Town: Essex/Vendee
Boat name: shockwave,Voluntry 2
Make: Pac 22/ searider5.4
Engine: 180hp turbo,yam 90
Hi Simon ,I use a 6.5 humber it handles supurb.I will check out the beam width but cannot say how it compared to any other humber .Jonathan garten would probably have the best experience on humbers you may also find he can give you a good price for one as well
Old 01 August 2008, 19:20   #3

Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: True Blue
Make: Humber ocean pro 6.3
Engine: Mercury 150 opti
Hi Simon

Both are excellent boats. If you tow far, the 2.6 beam is a wide boat on the road. I have a 2.34 beam as a personal boat at the moment and unless you really need the extra room for divers, I would go for the 2.34 every time. Pm me if you would like to see the 2.34.
Old 01 August 2008, 21:00   #4

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
I think you would struggle to tow a 2.6m RIB behind a car. Even the 2.3M Humbers are considerably wider than even a 4x4, the extra foot or so again would make it difficult to stop hitting things with the tubes, especially in a dive club environment.
I doubt a wide beam RIB at 6m with all the weight of dive kit, outboard large enough for a boat that size, boat equipment, hull, fuel and the divers in the car would be within the legal gross combined drivetrain weight of many, if any, saloon car.
There is a fair difference between enough power to, and legally being able to, tow something of that weight.
The whole issue would need to be very carefuly looked at bearing in mind the cars available, this is likely to be the limiting factor on boat size or at least it always have been in any club I have been in.
Old 01 August 2008, 22:03   #5

Quite true Bruce hence the question, I think 2.6 is too wide but that is instinct not evidence. Our towable limit is fairly tight we either goes as large as is thoeretically possible 5.85 - 6.0 or 6.3 max or got to 2 super small cheap ribs, tiller steer? (to up the people we can take at low cost)

Economy of (whatever) scale is the way to go, however, dive rib configuration is very important. Our current boat isnt ideal even though I have very soft spot for our Delta. Sometimes I think a degree course could be offered in subjects like this...studnet loan? Where do I sign?

Jono G has outfitted some interesting dive configurations, more research clearly is required! Might have to book some rough water handling with him! This may end up as a design thread, might post a graphic of our current blue-sky amateur dive club rib.
Old 01 August 2008, 22:39   #6

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
I have been in clubs were they were towing combinations that were blatantly illegal.
I always thought that there were going to be some very sorry folk in the event of any accident as insurance was going to be very tricky and the likeliehood was that the boat cost would be lost to the club if written off.
Sometimes you have to make the club rules work to protect people from themselves......
Good luck with the choice, its always better spending someones elses money buying a boat, just as long as it is not a committee made design decision
With a bit of luck your club will have the sense to give a briefand leave the work to one or two folk that come back with a spec that the whole committee approves rather than 10 folk all sticking an oar in all the way through the reasearch/specification process...
(Can you tell I have been there )
Old 02 August 2008, 05:46   #7

We have worked hard to make our rig of boat and trailer legal, reliable and easy to tow. We want to transfer this to any new boat we get. A small group is working on the spec and another on how we will fund it. The money side being the harder at present.

Spec and configuration discussions are likely to be endless, however, we have the benefit of diving off some good examples and some not ideal. We also need to try and optimise the fuel consumption of both tow vehicle and boat shared out between trip participants. For the first time recently my petrol V8 came in almost as cheap as a diesel Mr Bushy L200, it's got that bad!
Old 02 August 2008, 06:33   #8

Town: Towcester
Boat name: TBA
Make: Delta
Engine: Suzuki 175
2.6 is too wide

Hi
I towed extensively with Ocean Pro 6.3.
The funny thing was I thought I had the 2.6m beam version, because it seemed so wide (when towing). But Ian Sharlot corrected me on this - after he had seen the boat and we were discussing it.
So in summary go for the 2.34m beam
My new boat is 2.88m beam - so hav'nt braved the roads yet!
Paul
Old 02 August 2008, 07:15   #9

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Length: 8m +
Engine: Honda 250hp
HI Simon

Destroyer Pics as promised

Jono
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6m 150 Opti.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	36638   Click image for larger version

Name:	6m 150 Opti (1).jpg
Views:	294
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	36639   Click image for larger version

Name:	6m 150 Opti (2).jpg
Views:	284
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	36640   Click image for larger version

Name:	6m 150 Opti (3).jpg
Views:	256
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	36641   Click image for larger version

Name:	6m 150 Opti (3) (Small).jpg
Views:	283
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	36642  

Old 02 August 2008, 07:22   #10

Ocean pro pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	07052008(001).jpg
Views:	346
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	36643   Click image for larger version

Name:	07052008(004).jpg
Views:	246
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	36644   Click image for larger version

Name:	30032008(009).jpg
Views:	444
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	36645   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3727.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	36646  
Old 03 August 2008, 11:33   #11

Cheers Jono,

So most divers who trail go for the 2.28? is this available in 6.0 metres I looked on Humbers site it looked like the range finished at 5.8 metres. I had a go of my mates 6.3 OP 2.34 and liked it very much but it is a heavy boat to move about on land.

I was trying to keep the weight down by a shorter hull, a light motor E-tec or Optimax 150 and a single axle trailer, less stainless work. I think we could save 150 - 200kgs compared to my mates boat.
Old 03 August 2008, 12:23   #12

Hi

Most of the dive clubs who we sell boats to go for the Destroyer which is 2.28m beam.

Jono
Old 03 August 2008, 15:05   #13

Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: True Blue
Make: Humber ocean pro 6.3
Engine: Mercury 150 opti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon B View Post
Cheers Jono,

So most divers who trail go for the 2.28? is this available in 6.0 metres I looked on Humbers site it looked like the range finished at 5.8 metres. I had a go of my mates 6.3 OP 2.34 and liked it very much but it is a heavy boat to move about on land.

I was trying to keep the weight down by a shorter hull, a light motor E-tec or Optimax 150 and a single axle trailer, less stainless work. I think we could save 150 - 200kgs compared to my mates boat.
Hi Simon

The destroyer is available i the 6 meter, 150 hp is max power on it but it makes a great boat
Old 04 August 2008, 11:03   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sharlot View Post
Hi Simon

The destroyer is available i the 6 meter, 150 hp is max power on it but it makes a great boat
Would 115hp be underpowered for a dive rib? They usually operate with a heavy payload. The plan would be for upto 8 divers plus 2 crew off this boat. This is within it's limits for the hull, engine though may feel a bit gutless. It's highly likely we'd use a 4 bladed prop again, this worked well on the Delta. A number of OB manufacturers do do motors between 115 and 150 but they use the 150 or larger block so motor weighs the same. I had discounted twins for all the normal reasons.
Old 04 August 2008, 11:43   #15

115hp Optimax on a 6m produces about 38knots 2 up.

Jono
Old 04 August 2008, 15:13   #16

Our Delta 5.5 with a 100hp 4st will do about 25 flat calm 8 up (6 divers 2 crew)

2 up only it'll do about 31.
Old 08 August 2008, 09:58   #17

Town: Nantes
Boat name: A l'Attaque
Make: Sea-Way
Engine: Not here yet
I may need correcting but I think this applies throughout europe. On the roads your not allowed to tow anything wider than 2.5m. If you buy a boat with a 2.6m beam the tubes would have to be deflated for each trip.
Old 08 August 2008, 10:19   #18
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
I may need correcting but I think this applies throughout europe. On the roads your not allowed to tow anything wider than 2.5m. If you buy a boat with a 2.6m beam the tubes would have to be deflated for each trip.

In the UK the trailer can be up to 2300 mm wide and load can be a maximum of 305 mm more on either side so 2900 mm overall
Old 09 August 2008, 17:19   #19

Town: North West
Make: Humber
Length: no boat
Engine: Outboard Petrol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon B View Post
Would 115hp be underpowered for a dive rib? They usually operate with a heavy payload. The plan would be for upto 8 divers plus 2 crew off this boat. This is within it's limits for the hull, engine though may feel a bit gutless. It's highly likely we'd use a 4 bladed prop again, this worked well on the Delta. A number of OB manufacturers do do motors between 115 and 150 but they use the 150 or larger block so motor weighs the same. I had discounted twins for all the normal reasons.
Our Humber O/P 6.3 with a 4/S Suzuki 115 shifts very nicely when fully loaded (not with dive gear, but with lots and lots of people) so I couldn't see it being a problem. If you're still not convinced, go for a 150 but personally I see no need myself
Old 09 August 2008, 17:32   #20
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Our club boat, a 6.1m Redbay has a 115 Evinrude Ficht and makes well over 35knots lightly loaded. This drops away rapidly when loaded for diving, and generally leads to running at WOT to keep to schedule. If the startup budget was any way flexible, a bigger lump could be run at much lower revs for the same speeds and keep the fuel bill down on an ongoing basis.

My own Redbay 6.5 has a 2700mm beam and makes for an "interesting" towing experience on the wee roads.