Old 28 September 2016, 16:06   #31

Town: global
Boat name: VSR
Length: 5m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-NUMB View Post
Well...went to check the boat. Was in a rater sad state:

- jumped on the deck, felt solid but the plywood is for sure partly rotten(was able to loose some plywood close to a badly sealed inspection hatch in the bow(don't think its Humber original)

- transom felt solid, no cracks in grp, but no guarantee the plywood is solid.

- outside of hull plenty of wear and tear but not exposed grp or relevant visible repairs.

- tubes, 1995, looks bad,much worse than my SR 5.4 navy from 1993. As can be seen on photos...don't know if can expect much life from them even with tlc. Guess a new set would be like 4000 pounds?

-engine started instantly, but its a 1989, not much value.

As it seams like there has most of the time been more or less water in the under hull due to badly sealed deck, guess the longitudinal stringers can also be in bad shape if they are of wood.

Value wise guess engine would be like 700 pounds and the hull like 1000 or maybe zero?
C-numb,

Based on that one pic and info you gave, that ribs appears to have seen much better days. Are you sure your up to the task to putting all the effort into that boat? You most likely will still have a very tired beaten soul underneath all the spit and polish you put into it.

I myself would pass on it and look for another cheap rib project, right now I would say free is the right price for the hull and even then it's probably that's too much after what you may have to spend on it and what you get in return, not to mention your own valuable time. A rotten hull will always be a sick one, very hard to get around that one.

Having said that, more pictures posted will give us more info and perhaps a better opinion (perhaps). Does it have a trailer?

Old 04 October 2016, 12:42   #32

Town: Helsinki
Boat name: SR 5.4
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Toh1 3,5 Yam 90/2S
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailrib View Post
C-numb,

Based on that one pic and info you gave, that ribs appears to have seen much better days. Are you sure your up to the task to putting all the effort into that boat? You most likely will still have a very tired beaten soul underneath all the spit and polish you put into it.

I myself would pass on it and look for another cheap rib project, right now I would say free is the right price for the hull and even then it's probably that's too much after what you may have to spend on it and what you get in return, not to mention your own valuable time. A rotten hull will always be a sick one, very hard to get around that one.

Having said that, more pictures posted will give us more info and perhaps a better opinion (perhaps). Does it have a trailer?
Don't have better pictures unfortunately. The hull would need work(plenty of), that's for sure but my biggest worry in this case is the tubes. GRP, even if the preparation is really a disgusting job, is still a kind of a forgiving material to restore if having enough motivation and time. But the tubes looked bad and faded, and no idea how long they would last. Painting would make them look better but would that really help in the long run, don't know. The hypalon is different from the grade on my SR, possible a cheaper quality.
No idea about price of new tubes, maybe not 4000 but the double, in any case would say this hull is not worth the hassle due to tube condition.

Guess need to source another one from the UK, here not many around.

Old 07 October 2016, 21:07   #33

Town: global
Boat name: VSR
Length: 5m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-NUMB View Post
Don't have better pictures unfortunately. The hull would need work(plenty of), that's for sure but my biggest worry in this case is the tubes. GRP, even if the preparation is really a disgusting job, is still a kind of a forgiving material to restore if having enough motivation and time. But the tubes looked bad and faded, and no idea how long they would last. Painting would make them look better but would that really help in the long run, don't know. The hypalon is different from the grade on my SR, possible a cheaper quality.
No idea about price of new tubes, maybe not 4000 but the double, in any case would say this hull is not worth the hassle due to tube condition.

Guess need to source another one from the UK, here not many around.
Sorry but your description of this rib sounds terrible. I strongly recommend walking away from this rib to save your sanity, money and a lot of time wasted trying to revive this rib. By the sounds of it, no matter how much effort you put into this particular rib you will still have a rotten rib. You might as well build a new one from scratch for the effort and costs.