Old 12 March 2005, 17:03   #1

Town: Bury
Boat name: honwave
Make: honda
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard/petrol/15hp
humber boats

i wonder if anybody could help me? i asked humber for a brochure and boy did they send me one .well and truly confused whats the difference between destroyer, oceanpro,and assault they look the same to me on a photograph i know one will be inshore , coastal, offshore but which way around?
Old 12 March 2005, 17:18   #2
nik

Town: east cowes
Make: academic
Length: no boat
Engine: fresh air
MMSI: N/A
Quote:
A fireman then
Old 12 March 2005, 17:26   #3

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Destroyer and Ocean Pro are for similar use but they have different hulls. The Assault is the wee one with a fairly shallow hull. I used to own a 6.5 Destroyer.
Old 12 March 2005, 17:29   #4
Seb

Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 50
My interpretation is that these models divide the range in terms of their capabilities.

i.e. the Assault is medium V hulled RIB for coastal use, the Destroyer has a slightly deeper hull and the Ocean Pro is designed as being an offshore deep V hulled RIB.

Also, i believe that load carrying capabilities etc improve as the range develops towards the Ocean Pro...

Hope this helps a little?

SEB
Old 12 March 2005, 20:06   #5

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Tide Mark. We're not a million miles from you, you're always welcome to have a look at our Ocean Pros and Assault if you want to see the difference-and the difference is considerable, especially when you see one against the other, even more so when you are pushing home into a head sea !!!
Old 12 March 2005, 20:43   #6

Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Engine: 140hp suzuki

yep the assault has a shallow vee, and is ok for pottering about or fast spins in the calm, then the destroyer has a deep vee for more coastal cruising, with some short offshore trips (6m+) then the ocean pro is a true sea boat, capable of rough weather and high loads, very nice boat actually, one im looking at at the moment, ocean pro 6.3, goint to test one next week!
Old 12 March 2005, 22:01   #7

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
I would agree thats about right. Lots of spray rails on an Ocean Pro as opposed to a Destroyer. Surprisingly soft ride with a Destroyer particularly the longer ones. Used a 7m destroyer/200hp yammie when we were in Cyprus for training purposes. exceptional ride into head seas - and a bit quick when you could get rid of all them heavy divers and their ironmongery! I think the Ribex destroyer last year was around 6.3 and that was fine thru a lot of confused water- but an Assault would have been a totally different proposition
Old 13 March 2005, 18:49   #8

Town: Bury
Boat name: honwave
Make: honda
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard/petrol/15hp
thanks

thanks guys its a lot clearer now
Old 13 March 2005, 19:10   #9

Town: Kent
Boat name: Cygnet
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 70hp 4* outbo
Make sure you have a look at them before making your decision; from all the paperwork they sent me when we were looking they were all advertised as having a deep ‘V’ hull. The only difference we could see between the Destroyer & Assault was the Destroyer was heaver & slightly wider with larger diameter tubes. But after seeing the two side by side the Destroyer has a lot deeper ‘V’ than the Assault, and is a lot better in heavy seas.
We made the mistake of buying from brochures, don’t do the same go & have a look at what you think you want before placing an order.
Old 15 March 2005, 17:36   #10

Town: Milford Haven
Boat name: Various
Make: Commercial
Length: 10m +
Engine: Screw / Voith / Jets
Send a message via MSN to Alex Brown
First pic shows my rib alongside woot's rib - mine is a Destroyer 6m, and woot's rib is an Assault 5m from what I recall. From the pic, you can see the beam difference, and also an increase in depth in the deep v configuration on the destroyer hull. The Destroyer also has a higher cut bow than the Assault, and the Assault in chop will get the cox and crew quite damp
Thus far, I have not managed to get any water over the bow on my boat - if there's a side on wind, the engine gets wet at the back due to spray coming over the side, but that's about all.

http://gallery.ribseadrive.co.uk/cru..._0207_115241AA

We have 4.9m assaults at the yacht club, which are great fun, but when conditions get rough, they like to point into the sky even with the engine tight in at the back..... if you ballast down the front end, the water just comes neatly over the bow

The next pic shows the Assaults alongside a 9m Ocean Pro - you can see the bow height difference here - the Ocean Pro is a very different boat altogether, as Dave said with more spray rails.

http://gallery.ribseadrive.co.uk/nyc..._0327_142651AA

Even with crew on board, and with chop around, this ocean pro doesn't get much water on board at the bow at all.

http://gallery.ribseadrive.co.uk/pdc...04_0813_160949

I think if you tell Humber what you want to do with your rib, like where to use it etc... they will come up with a suitable craft for you.
My decision was based on previous knowledge of using a Destroyer (7m with 200hp Johnson V6) which I have to say was an amazing craft - very softin chop and at sea..... this is what I did my level 2 on many years ago, and it felt very solid/stable.

If I had thought about it more, and had more money at the time, I may have gone for the Ocean Pro, cos it's beamier than the Destroyer for the same length, and has a very high bow which makes you feel very secure behind.

-Alex
Old 15 March 2005, 22:12   #11

Are you sure there isn't a bit of confusion between the Ocean Pro and the Ocean Pro Offshore.

The Destroyer and Ocean Pro have a very similar internal beam and a similar deadrise. As mentioned, the Ocean has multiple spray rails whereas the Destroyer has only two but it also has a full length planing pad to increase the lift.

There is also the Extreme which is part way between the Ocean and the Offshore.
Old 16 March 2005, 14:21   #12

Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Engine: 140hp suzuki
ocean pro and destroyer

the ocean pro is deffinately beamier than the destroyer, and therefore has greater load carrying capacity, it also has mroe spray rails, and makes use of chines. the vee is also deeper than the destroyer, which i would say is mroe of a medium vee, and assault shallow vee. the ocean offshore i would say is ultra deep vee, and if i could buy one, would!
Old 16 March 2005, 19:41   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon123
the ocean pro is deffinately beamier than the destroyer, and therefore has greater load carrying capacity, it also has mroe spray rails, and makes use of chines. the vee is also deeper than the destroyer, which i would say is mroe of a medium vee, and assault shallow vee. the ocean offshore i would say is ultra deep vee, and if i could buy one, would!
Yer reckon. Which one of these pics has the greater deadrise?
Also, both of them have two angles to the 'V' of the hull, the lower section having less angle than further out. Fairly common practice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3 engines x500.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	10821   Click image for larger version

Name:	OffshoreStern x 640.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	10822  
Old 16 March 2005, 23:22   #14

Town: St Davids
Boat name: 6 vessels -various
Make: Quinquari/Humber
Length: 10m +
Engine: Twin ETEC200s
Contributors to this column have made some constructive and correct points.

Humber do offer a large range of craft and I have to point out at the begining that, as being their commercial "arm" we are biased.

The ranges have many options in beam as well as length and this can give rise to confusion. However the options are offered to give clients the most expansive range available in the European market.

It would be so easy and cheaper for Humber to produce a couple of models with a couple of ranges. In fairness they have identified that clients have so many changing requirements and their policy has always been client focused.

It is thus essential that you make clear your requirements and then if at all possible try a couple of vessels. The company understands that the the disparity between to a destroyer and an ocean pro or even an offshore is hard to define for some. Ask and try and answers will abound.

To make things a bit easier it is planned that Quinquari North (Scotland) and Quinquari South ( Wales/Southwest) will shortly have a number of the smaller hulls ( 6-8m) for customers to view and try. This to make things more regional and convenient.

Further the commercial Quinquari fit out will be possible for smaller pleasure vessels in the near future.

Cheers

John
www.quinquari.co.uk