Old 12 February 2014, 15:21   #11
Length: 4m +
thanks very much guys! i think im going to go for the ribcraft! i also looked at the rya junior championships? they use a ribcraft with a 60hp and it looks like the boat i need!

just asking does anyone have any info pictures of the solent 4.6 rib?
alot cheeper?

theribber93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2014, 17:37   #12
Town: belfast
Boat name: un-named
Make: humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: mercury 60hp
humber assault 5m

I have a 5m assault with a 60hp merc four stroke. Have it some 6 yrs and bought from new. Very economical to run and towing would not be a problem for you. Good boat and engine, never given bother. In rough seas essentially any boat gives a hard ride at speed so I personally wouldn't get too hung up about about deep v's or any other alleged comfort device. I would assume however it might be a wetter boat in a deep sea rather than a deep v as lesser v's tend to have less of a protective bow rise. The benefits of the assault are that they will plane more readily though. I find that more than 6 adults onboard the 5m with amy 60hp and you may struggle to get on plane. However very fast and exciting with one person only. I find most of the beam in the 5m is behind the console so technically it appears narrower and "less of a boat" in a big sea from your position forward (if that makes sense). Also I have a console which essentially sits a pilot and passenger behind. The cockpit size is "just" that wrong size to accommodate any further fixed seating so consider what an extra 0.5m might do for you against a cheaper 4.5m assault.
If memory serves me right the max engine hp/weight ratio of the 5m assault limited me to the 60hp four stroke based on weight. You can bust through that barrier with a bigger engine but be careful you don't create something that is uninsurable.

aye capn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2014, 13:20   #13
Town: west wales
Make: humber destroyer 5m
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90 yamaha
I have had a couple of assaults and look after a few others.
I wouldn't bother with a 4m as the actual hull is only about 3m long, try as we might we couldn't get one to run nicely with a 30 Honda on it.
The 4.5 and 5 are ok, I ran a 5m with a 90 yam on it which was fun (43kn on gps)
I've also run 5m assaults with a sixty two stroke yam, a 70 evinrude and 70 yam, also with 40 and 50 Hondas.
The assault doesn't have a particularly shallow v hull BUT the tubes are mounted very low and tend to drag in the water and so give a lumpy ride in a chop. However as a safety boat its easier to drag people into than many other ribs because of the low tubes.
There is another humber model with a much shallower V, not sure of the name but I saw a new 5m one last year.
The destroyer 5m is a much better sea boat though considerably heavier.
We bought a new 5m assault last month direct from humber, without a console for 3600 inc vat. With a two man sports console it would have been 4500. So humbers are very keenly priced and tough as old boots too.
bosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2014, 13:48   #14
Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 60hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
Before you sign on the dotted line - check out the Ribquest 4.8m too.

Is that with or without VAT?
spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote