Old 29 May 2016, 18:23   #1

Town: Norfolk & East Coast
Make: Excedo
Length: 4m +
Engine: 70
Hull split

Has anyone had their hull split? We were out during the week and realised we had water pouring out of the bow locker lid. Once lifted ashore, we found a ten inch split running along one of the chines, seemingly started from a previous repair.
We weren't slamming much - a bit to start with before turning and running with the wind and tide.
Anyone heard of this happening before, or is this boat really weak? It looks to me as though the crack could easily continue forwards.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0168.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	113176  
Old 29 May 2016, 21:49   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Wow, that's quite a bit of damage. I can see that split has compromised the hull.

It can't just be repaired from outside. I suspect part of the deck will need to be lifted, so it can be laminated from the inside too. A proper visual inspection will be needed so you can see if there are any signs of weakness elsewhere.
Old 29 May 2016, 21:59   #3

Town: West Mersea
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF90
Ouch. That is not nice at all. I've never experienced anything like that. What hull is it?
Old 30 May 2016, 00:07   #4

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
I've seen a few non ribs split, infact a boat I owned untill last year had heaps of stress fractures in the hull, many were caused from a badly setup trailer from the previous owner.

Would be interesting to post a few images to the manufacturer and find if they are willing to help in cost and explain how it may of happened. The last thing any manufacturers want is customers not happy with their product or service on social media.

Jon
Old 30 May 2016, 07:01   #5

Town: Leicester
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
Would be interesting to post a few images to the manufacturer and find if they are willing to help in cost and explain how it may of happened. The last thing any manufacturers want is customers not happy with their product or service on social media.
Jon
OP says it's had a previous repair so unless it was under warranty I can't see the manufacturer getting involved.
Be of interest as to how the previous repair was carried out, who repaired it & why.
Whilst many of the internet 'how tos' show repairs just being done from outside I'd want to access from inside to V the crack and repair properly.

There's a 'how to' here for repairing a foamed hull from the outside.
http://www.continuouswave.com/whaler...lerRepair.html
My own dory had a crack around 12" long which I was aware of when I bought it caused by impact & I cut a hole in the deck to access from above. Meant I could check for water in the foam in the area - it was bone dry - & do a proper repair. I cut the hole using a jigsaw set at a 45deg angle so the outside edge of the removed bit was wider then the inner (tapered) & it's easy to put this plug back in by lining the cut with fibreglass for a neat & strong repair. I also ground the crack on the outside of the hull meaning the inside & out repair fibreglass was bonded through. Outside then final filled with gelcoat, flatted & polished.