Old 27 August 2019, 15:08   #41

Town: Bristol
Boat name: Beryl
Make: Mercury Ocean Runner
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpsguru View Post
Unless there is very obvious damage or a manufacturing defect, then I doubt that it came from below the waterline.

I feel quite confident that the leak if from where the deck 'furniture is fixed, or from the Bilge pump fixing (if you have one).

What console and seating do you have ? .......... a good many of the 420's have the bench seat and deluxe console ...........
There is no bilge pump fixing and we have a jockey seat set up. I did notice that there was some water ( not very much ) trapped in the battery compartment and some in the fuel tank department underneath the seat. I would be interested to know how water got into these 2 compartments....
Old 27 August 2019, 15:14   #42

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
First thing to do when you find water in the hull is to taste it.

Fresh or just slightly brackish limits where you need to look for entry points.

Nasher.
Old 27 August 2019, 15:34   #43

Boat name: Bluefin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp
MMSI: Ex Directory
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springwick View Post
There is no bilge pump fixing and we have a jockey seat set up. I did notice that there was some water ( not very much ) trapped in the battery compartment and some in the fuel tank department underneath the seat. I would be interested to know how water got into these 2 compartments....
Those two areas should be dry ........... I would suggest that the dealer has not used enough sikaflex in their installation to create a good seal ....... I expect the leak is from the screws that hold the jockey's in position ......... if they are not 'glued' well enough to the deck then the screws will work loose with use

I was lucky with mine as the dealers head mechanic built mine and he is a very fussy git ! ........... so I knew that I would get a good job done.
Old 28 August 2019, 06:03   #44

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Engine: Outboard
Quote:
Well, it wont be coming from the bow eye as that goes into the anchor locker.

How much water did you get on the deck over that couple of weeks ? ........ it could have been a mix of fresh (rain) and salt water (from use) ......... tasting and smelling the water is a bit hit n miss as very watered down sea water still tastes and smells salty.

I think I would set it level and then hose the deck until you have about half an inch of water in the boat and then leave it at least overnight with the flap valve closed and the void bung in.

I used to hose my boat out every 40 times a year as used it for fishing and the deck used to be covered in blood n guts , but never had any water in the void.

The hull is warranted for one year, so I would either find out the source of the ingress quickly or take it back to the supplying dealer el pronto ...
So despite my being criticised by the Yorkshire font of all knowledge you are suggesting that it could have got in the same way I said.... Through holes in a deck that perhaps is not sealed as it is supposed to be
Old 28 August 2019, 07:16   #45

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springwick View Post
Was it stored/moored with a jockey seat cover? Otherwise rainwater could just run down the console and track under the seat. I'd love to see some pics of your setup to compare with mine.
Old 28 August 2019, 07:55   #46

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
So despite my being criticised by the Yorkshire font of all knowledge...…….
You'll have to be more specific, there're a lot of us
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 08:17   #47

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Engine: Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
You'll have to be more specific, there're a lot of us
Doesn't the world just know that !

Maybe however there is one less then you think
Old 28 August 2019, 09:06   #48

Length: 3m +
Quote:
Doesn't the world just know that !

Maybe however there is one less then you think
Yeah, I'm not from Yorkshire!
Old 28 August 2019, 09:17   #49

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
if you want to find out if its pure sea water take it to a marine fish aquarium shop he will test the specific gravity for you its done on a reflex ometer so no cost, most test water for free.
Old 28 August 2019, 09:27   #50

Length: 3m +
Quote:
How do you know it is sealed and not a designed bilge area
Because... gpsguru (who knows the hull design) confirmed it!

If its a designed bilge area - it should be designed to be drainable without removing a screw bung.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
IF it was mine, I’d be rigging (bodging[emoji6]) up a hose to fit into the bung hole & sticking a couple of PSI of air in & going round with the soapy water.
Have to say - that remains the only diagnostic way. People talking of putting two inches of fresh water on the deck will help you know the leak is on the deck... but not if its one screw or all the screws.

It sounds like its still under warranty - so its very tempting to take it back and say fix it. But unless the dealer is round the corner that involves time and effort. Likely leaving it with them to diagnose and fix. So I'd start with this simple test and see where leaks. I've had a similar issue on a boat, I'd have had to tow it 150 miles, probably leave it with them as they thought it must be something serious as they'd "never seen the issue before" - and return a week later to pick it up. So I'd have towed total of 300 miles, and driven 600miles. All avoided with a pressure test, some soapy water and some sikkaflex once the badly installed fitting was found. 1 hour work tops versus 10 + hours of driving, and £80+ of fuel...

The pump for doing the tubes will do the job nicely....

Quote:
Now the bit that will make a few on here cringe ............. the deck furniture is usually sikaflexed and then screwed to the deck using large thread self tappers and stainless washers . If that work is done correctly, then there should be no leaks ........... if not done properly then rain and deck water will leak into the hill void.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
First thing to do when you find water in the hull is to taste it.

Fresh or just slightly brackish limits where you need to look for entry points.
Its salty! BUT since its been on the sea for 2 weeks - that doesn't mean much. And now there is presumably some residual saltyness in there it will take a bit to find if it becomes fresh... And still will only tell you its an above the waterline leak which other than the bung - he's probably confident abut anyway as there are no holes in the hull...

Quote:
So despite my being criticised by the Yorkshire font of all knowledge you are suggesting that it could have got in the same way I said.... Through holes in a deck that perhaps is not sealed as it is supposed to be
Who suggested it wasn't a deck hole?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
Was it stored/moored with a jockey seat cover? Otherwise rainwater could just run down the console and track under the seat. I'd love to see some pics of your setup to compare with mine.
I don't know the jockey design, but if rain can do that so can sea spray. That makes it a poor design. I'd expect a lip on the console so that simple run off gets deflected away? A cover shouldn't be necessary as the worst water exposure should come from hitting waves at 30kts not from rain.
Old 28 August 2019, 09:29   #51

Town: Bristol
Boat name: Beryl
Make: Mercury Ocean Runner
Engine: 40hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
No, I don't have a jockey seat cover so that would make sense about water getting into the under seat areas.