Old 08 June 2005, 09:30   #51
RIBnet supporter

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Just a bit of further clarification regarding springs and warps.

The extra length of rope inherently used in a spring line allows the boat to move up and down considerably more than a short bow or stern line/warp would. This is crucial if you moor up against a wall with a rising or falling tide. On a pontoon all lines can be kept quite tight, but against a jetty the short warps/breast lines should be slacker than the springs to allow for tide changes.

HTH

keith
Old 08 June 2005, 09:37   #52

Town: Aylesbury/Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent
Engine: 150hp Optimax
MMSI: 235021048
Louise / JK

Can we please add this thread {edited} about warps and mooring into the FAQs?

Old 08 June 2005, 09:41   #53
scm

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Lynx 1, 2, 3
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 275
Bruce,
Quote:
So Cowes is a problem
No

Quote:
Anywhere else in the Solent region a particular problem?
Every single place

Everytime you moor up it will be different, tide, wind, swell, sun in your eyes etc etc etc

It's all down to time on the water and practise.

Oh and of course training
Regards
Stuart
Old 08 June 2005, 16:43   #54
Trade member

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Oh my God

For F@: k sake , my boat has the same scuff caused by some twat who does not know how how to tie a boat back up. It's my fault for leaving the boat where it was and expecting some one to tie it back up the same way as they found it . My boat ai'nt gonna sink it ain't gonna peel off the tubes if i stuff it just got to whack a patch on next time she' s ashore 15 mins tops . All of this should be covered on you level 2 course . It is not the fault of Solent ribs its just bad luck . Its like saying i parked my car in Sainsbury's car park someone has hit it and its your fault Mr Manufacturer becuase you did not put a bigger bumper on it. I think half of Rib Net were involved with the build of your boat and with all the changes/add ons every one was losing the will to live .Bruce you seem like a nice decent bloke who enjoy's his rib and is learning heaps by going out with more experienced people than your self ,but get over it sh'@t happens it's just one of those things . I offered you tuition when you first got her , you went else where what can i say .If you still want to take up that offer it's still there no cash no strings i am so pi@@ed off with your bad luck . I made a good deal out of you buying that rib so it's the least i can do.
Old 08 June 2005, 17:45   #55

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Intrepid
Make: Tornado
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin 150 Yamaha HPDI
MMSI: 235066402
Send a message via Skype™ to benc
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucehawsker
So Cowes is a problem. Anywhere else in the Solent region a particular problem?
Cowes is a particularly bad place where I moor right behind the red funnel jet pontoon.. when the boat comes in it causes quite a bit of wash and the boats get thrown about a bit.

Also, it seems to be the place where everybody moors when the pop over, as I do for a quick pint or something to eat. This means your boat would be more likely to be moved... so more opportunity for it to be done wrong.

My bow/stern lines are very long (I know, I should cut them back... and I will, one day.) - but what I do, it.. tie the stern to the cleat, and then take it back and mount it to the frame I have around my console. Then I take the stern line and tie that to a cleat... and take it to the back of one of the seats and tie it there... that stops the boat going backwards and forwards.... and seems to work for me.

A blunder I made was trying to more against the pontoon approaching bow first between other boats just as the redjet came in... this lifted my boat, and pushed me forward onto the pontoon.. and scuffed up my gel coat on the bow Luckily stuart (rogue wave) did I get drop of removing the scuffs and polishing it up all nice again (Thanks stu!)

Anyway, theres my 2 pence worth.

Speak later.

Ben
Old 08 June 2005, 19:32   #56

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim griffin
....just got to whack a patch on next time she' s ashore 15 mins tops
Pish... you've obviously never done it...properly.

Quote:
...its just bad luck . Its like saying i parked my car in Sainsbury's car park someone has hit it and its your fault Mr Manufacturer becuase you did not put a bigger bumper on it.
No. It's like saying, "You left off the bumpers and you told me it would be ok."

IMHO, again, of course.
Old 09 June 2005, 03:53   #57

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Cowes is a great place to visit! On a summer evening it can be easy to find a mooring, go to a favourite waterfront pub and chill out with mates.

But it can be a nightmare at busy times.

I remember looking at the huge gathering of RIBs moored one Cowes week and watching the lovely passengers of an outside RIB cross to the pontoon by merrily jumping on the tubes in high heels .

Another evening we were moored for a quick visit to the Fountain and some local young peeps removed our fire extinguisher just for fun.

Really sorry you had such a bad experience Bruce.

missus
Old 09 June 2005, 04:53   #58

Town: Aylesbury/Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent
Engine: 150hp Optimax
MMSI: 235021048
Tim,

Thanks for the most helpful and informative post.

I am pleased to be able to report that Scott Braye of Rib Repair is going to sort it out for me most promptly and efficiently. Please can I recommend him to all as a highly courteous and helpful person who, though he is busy, replies within 48 hours with clarity and politeness.

Bruce
Old 09 June 2005, 05:02   #59
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Bruce

For what it's worth, in the same situation I would have done exactly the same as you. When you're mooring somewhere as busy as that you have to make the best of whatever's available. As far as I can see, the fault lies sqaurely with the skipper of the other boat who appears to have been too lazy, thoughtless or clueless to tie your boat back up properly.

You could have decided not to leave the boat unattended, or endlessly keep coming back to check it, but you're never going to have a good time if you do that.

You could have put more fenders out, but where do you stop? You can't cater for every eventuality.

The bow area on some designs of RIB is potentially vulnerable to this sort of damage, but I wouldn't expect extra fendering there to be standard. You're not likely to get into this situation very often.

If it happened to me I would be seriously pissed off for a couple of days, get it fixed, then carry on as normal.

John
Old 09 June 2005, 05:03   #60
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
I made a good deal out of you buying that rib

John