Old 14 June 2006, 11:39   #21

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Everlong
Make: Botnia Targa 27
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
I don't agree.... brands can be marketed on Ebay, it's tactics that are important. Take the example of HP - they distribute their refurbished returns via Ebay, as do other technology manufacturers. These are hige manufacturers with enviable reputations. They use appropriate channels for the goods. Mr Bentley and Mr Jet Ranger don't use Ebay because it would be a waste of time and their brand is already established. The likelehood of someone searching for a bargain iPaq on Ebay is very high, but a bargain new Bentley Continental GTC or Jet Ranger 206B-3 is very low I think. However, an ex demo 6.5m RIB? Yep, I reckon Ebay would provide quite a few hits from interested bidders.

If you charged for that advice, I reckon a refund would have been in order!
Sorry Richard, disagree wholeheartedly. Ebay is great for many products and companies, but not a start up with no brand trying to sell a luxury product.

The Prime Ribs brand isnt established (IMHO from a marketing perspective, the brand name chosen is also weak) and for any decent (non commodity) manufacturer, one of the key considerations is building up a reputation for quality, longevity and protecting residual values of your products. Selling new RIBs on eBay hinders all of these when you are in a start up, premium product environment.

The analogy of HP is a false one - firstly, HP have established significant brand equity that means they can pretty much sell through whichever channel they choose - secondly their price point for recon equipment isnt anywhere near that of a new Prime RIB. I'd be surprised if HP started selling new high end Alpha servers via ebay anytime soon or chosen it as a channel if they were starting today.
Old 14 June 2006, 13:12   #22

Town: emsworth
Boat name: the black stuff
Make: BALLISTIC
Engine: 2 x 200hp etec's
yes as i chew on my snickers bar i can see your point richard

by the way what was it called berfore snickers
Old 14 June 2006, 13:22   #23

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
As an interested observer in this discusion I would love to hear what you guys would advise BananaShark to do - we have an established racing pedigree and in a totally different (for now) market to Prime, but only 1 year older in the leisure market and a more expensive product!

By the way conflicting opinions / advice is fine with me!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2006, 13:46   #24

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Dare I say it but maybe RIBs should be promoted to non boaty people - much as PWCs are.

Having driven my RIB very briefly so far it is far more fun than a Ferrari - and yes I am speaking from experience.

Maybe glossy mags etc - things like FHM and even car mags. Sadly such advertising does NOT come cheap but there are ways around it. Freeby rides to mag editors and photographers etc along with other FREE marketing can work wonders.
Old 14 June 2006, 13:46   #25

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee
As an interested observer in this discusion I would love to hear what you guys would advise BananaShark to do - we have an established racing pedigree and in a totally different (for now) market to Prime, but only 1 year older in the leisure market and a more expensive product!

By the way conflicting opinions / advice is fine with me!
Cookee, I will take it off your hands, if you need to get shot of it!

By the way you really should not block the forecourt at the Texaco station at Malborough with your Merc when you are getting you lunch!
Old 14 June 2006, 14:08   #26

Town: I.O.W/Switzerland
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu TLDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIVA
Bruce if you are going to build a brand don’t put it on e bay
Agree with you there RIVA. If you're selling a brand new product, wacking it on ebay makes it look like you're struggling to sell your ribs, especially if you're just starting out (even if it does give you more coverage and results in sales). Build the brand by getting as much coverage in glossy mags and building lots of hype. Get RIBs out on the water with branding all down the side (even if it means leaving farfetched at home!) all over the solent for the whole summer (especially for things like cowes week). Make it exclusive and make it appeal as "the brand to have" for those fairly well off "non boaty" types you are targeting.

I would stay stay clear of ebay and its associated fraudsters and scumbags.

Oh, and get some hot women to lounge on the seats for brochure piccies

Edit: Its all about getting the name known. At the IOW festival, Carling were exchanging (for free) ANY warm can of un-opened beer for a 500ml chilled can of carling, just so that as many people as possible had a can of carling in there hand for photos, tv etc. God knows what they did with the thousands of cans they collected!

Another thing I noticed when nosing about in the RIB at RIBex...always use nice big penny washers under the self tappers when screwing the jockeys down...attention to detail is very important in my opinion!
Old 14 June 2006, 15:07   #27

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
I may have read this wrong, but reading between the lines I toke it the Bruce needs to sell the boats on quick as poss for cash flow!
If so get shot on eBay & get the right stock in & get marketing!
Sell farfetched & use one of you own products not someone else's!!!
Every time you are out on the water you will be getting free advertising & not endorsing someone else's
Old 14 June 2006, 15:18   #28

Boat name: Emperor
Make: Scorpion
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 200hp
Send a message via MSN to Millermob
From my little knowledge of business at GCSE level, one thing I have learnt is that the directors members of the comapny need to have faith in the product. I agree with Nick here, sell farfetched, plaster one in graphics and get the name out make sure everyone knows its a PRIME rib. That way you can enjoy yourself whilst promoting your business.

Freddie
Old 14 June 2006, 15:33   #29

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Everlong
Make: Botnia Targa 27
Engine: Volvo KAD44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermob
From my little knowledge of business at GCSE level, one thing I have learnt is that the directors members of the comapny need to have faith in the product. I agree with Nick here, sell farfetched, plaster one in graphics and get the name out make sure everyone knows its a PRIME rib. That way you can enjoy yourself whilst promoting your business.

Freddie
and change the name.
Old 14 June 2006, 15:36   #30

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent Ribs
Engine: 150hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235021048
Thank you for all your input. Donutsina, please tell me why you view the brand name as weak.

I agree that selling a new boat on e-bay is more risky in marketing terms than an ex-demo.

I am also interested, SlimTim, in the comment about self tappers and washers on the jockeys. Please elaborate?

Any other criticisms / suggestions / corrections much much appreciate. It is the only way we can improve our offering.

And, codprawn, that is precisely our business model.

Keep ideas coming, especailly on PRICE

Thank you.

Bruce
Old 14 June 2006, 15:38   #31

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Remember there's no such thing as bad publicity!

Anyway, what do I know about marketing? It's all a load of bollox! I'm going to grab the jacket to my Jaeger suit, throw it on over my Austin Reed shirt, switch off my HP PC, leave the building and drive home in my Mercedes Benz, change into my Mustos and take the Scorpion out for a blast.

Brands? Pah!

(Marathon )
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2006, 16:01   #32

Length: no boat
Quote:
Remember there's no such thing as bad publicity!

Anyway, what do I know about marketing? It's all a load of bollox! I'm going to grab the jacket to my Jaeger suit, throw it on over my Austin Reed shirt, switch off my HP PC, leave the building and drive home in my Mercedes Benz, change into my Mustos and take the Scorpion out for a blast.

Brands? Pah!

(Marathon )
Now thats just being Swanky
Old 14 June 2006, 16:06   #33

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Yep, sorry! It was for RIVA's benefit really
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2006, 16:10   #34
exspyrd trayd membir

Town: inn wiliks hed
Make: Redbay 6.5
Engine: Twin Etec 90hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucehawsker
ow too sel a ribb
i av ad a braynwaiv.

starrt a thred onn a popyewlar botin fourum axin ow too sel a rib. i bett itt wud jenerate lodes ov de frea publisitty. i wunder wy noewan az thort ov dis beforr. fuk mee iym a jeenius.

gaRf
Old 14 June 2006, 16:12   #35

Town: sunny south coast
Boat name: Pride of Bilboa
MMSI: 4
Quote:
Thank you for all your input. Donutsina, please tell me why you view the brand name as weak.
I don't know if it's along the same lines as donuts is thinking, but the name will be almost impossible to research using something like google.. If you search for "Solent Rib", "Avon Rib", "Ballistic Rib", "Humber Rib", "Scorpion Rib", etc, you will find references to these ribs on the first page of the results.. I accept Prime Rib have only just started, but even 12 months down the line, if you search for "Prime Rib", your only going to end up with page after page of recipes to look through..

As for selling on ebay, these people, (clicky,) nearly always seem to have ribs for sale, never seen one sold via ebay yet.. It's going to cost to list, and set a reserve, for no visible return.. I am fairly sure Riva has used ebay, (could be wrong,) but not as his main outlet.. I would guess it has taken them years to build up the market they have.. Your going to have to be patient Bruce, (unless your like Leeway, and aim at the cheaper end of the market,) and wait awhile before people come a'flocking.. I bet Solent Ribs didn't take off overnight..
Old 14 June 2006, 16:15   #36

Town: sunny south coast
Boat name: Pride of Bilboa
MMSI: 4
Quote:
Anyway, what do I know about marketing? It's all a load of bollox! I'm going to grab the jacket to my Jaeger suit...
Jaegar need to improve their marketing, I always thought their stuff was just for old women..
Old 14 June 2006, 16:38   #37

Town: I.O.W/Switzerland
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu TLDI
Quote:
I am also interested, SlimTim, in the comment about self tappers and washers on the jockeys. Please elaborate?
When I opened up your jockey seat I noticed it was secured down with self tappers, as are the seats on most ribs. These self tappers didn't have any washers under there heads to spread the load! Screws on their own in this situation is a no no as under extreme loading they could potentially pull through.

Its only a little thing but its all about attention to detail. On my rib build i've used nice big 25mm penny washer under every screw. I've also used quality ss hinges and sunk all the hinge screws into meaty blocks of hardwood to prevent them pulling out.

The people buying your ribs might not appreciate the benefit of having those washers when they buy the boat, but they would question why there weren't any if their seats came unstuck in a rough sea! They would also tell the world about what happened and we all know that si not a good thing.

Hope that helps Bruce! Good luck.

EDIT: Maybe you could sell one of the ribs at a reduced price if the new owner is willing to have a little more "Prime" branding on the tubes than you might normally have. Perhaps a website and telephone number as well?
Old 14 June 2006, 16:40   #38

Intersting thoughts about Google. Here is the counter view.

"Prime Rib" is instantly memorable as a name, precisely because it is a food as well as a boat company.

First time round, is Solent, Avon, Ballistic, Humber, Scorpion memorable if you are not marine aware? We could easily have been Hamble Ribs or Lymington Ribs..... or Trafalgar Ribs.....

www.primeribs.co.uk is currently a holding page only. For £500 or so quid it becomes a serios small website, but perfectly formed, and we can drive "Prime Ribs" up the more improtant search expression of "Rib boat purchase" in the UK, to be in the top three finds.

Today, the top three finds include only Barnet Marine - hardly a brand!

No other manufacturers in the top 20 hits.
Old 14 June 2006, 16:43   #39

and as to load spreading on the self tappers- have emailed the guy who has done all the outfitting and will take his advice. If he agrees we have cut corners (due to time), all will be replaced before a boat is delivered...

Thank you
Old 14 June 2006, 16:45   #40

Town: emsworth
Boat name: the black stuff
Make: BALLISTIC
Engine: 2 x 200hp etec's
yes we use e bay a lot.
for the low end stuff sub £5k

some nice brands there richard swanky definatly if they are all 2006 model

love you realy