Old 01 June 2004, 12:20   #1

Town: Flensburg
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DT75 ?
How to remove old glue?

Hi,

today I took off two handles from my AVON Supersport- had to because I want to be able to fold my A-frame down for transport and for putting a canvas on.... How can I remove the old glue? Doesn`t look that nice, so I`d like to know what kind of chemicals I could use to rub it off? Or should I just take the heater-gun?

greetings,
Wolfie
Old 01 June 2004, 12:44   #2

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams

Toluene based thinner this works well but you may want to look at this first (B4 anyone shoots me down or may be I should have kept quiet!)
http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread....cleaning+tubes
Nick
Old 01 June 2004, 17:14   #3

Town: Chichester
Length: no boat
Toluene

It does work well but as everyone says its very harmfull, which I why I charge danger money for RIB repairs lol . It is easy enough to get hold of here in the UK and in fact I can supply it, but you must be careful with it or you will make yourself very ill . Another method might be using a flap sander gently on a low reving drill, be careful not apply to much pressure or you will damage the fabric!

If you need any further help please let me know.

Cheers

Stephen
Old 01 June 2004, 17:56   #4

Town: Flensburg
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DT75 ?
Hi guys,

thanks for that advice- I´ve read about that toluene-stuff also in the german Schlauchbootforum but so far I have no idea where to get it? I`m not that alerted because of it`s dangerous affects on my health since I only plan to use it outside for some small areas on my boat- and, honestly: We`re using all kinds of chemical shit every day without even thinking about, starts with petrol that we fill in our cars and ends with aceton that my ol` lady uses to get the paint off her fingernails! I think that these substances are really getting dangerous when someone is exposed to them for a longer period of time.... Don`t get me wrong, cause I will be carefull, but I`m really more concerned about the ingredients of my wife`s lipstick since I kiss her a couple of times every day then about a thinner which I`ll use for 2min in a whole year!

greetings,
Wolfie