Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 16 May 2019, 18:16   #1

Town: Jacksonville
Make: Avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: OB 15hp
How to re-attach rubbing strake to 310

The rubbing strake on our vintage 310 came loose. I stuck it back on with contact adhesive a year or two ago, and it began to peel off again. I have removed it completely. What's the best way to re-glue the entire rubbing strake? What adhesive works best? Should I stick it on with the boat inflated or flat? Could hypalon adhesive be used, given that it is not possible to apply pressure to the entire rubbing strake at once? Any experienced based suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in anticipation.... Robin
Old 16 May 2019, 18:25   #2

Town: Colchester
Boat name: Bob
Make: Avon Seasport S3.45
Engine: Yamaha 30D
Following as I have a little old (vintage) RIB also..

Wonderbloke

Avon Seasport S3.45
Yamaha 30D
Wonderbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2019, 11:33   #3

Town: New Jersey
Make: 733
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar
You need to use 2 part hypalon glue, just as if you were applying a patch. I like the glue from NRS. Do it while the boat is inflated to operating pressure. When you put it on, work from the bow to the stern. Stick it on in about 6 inch sections at a time.Then do the other side bow to stern. Use a heat gun to activate both sides of the glue right before you stick em together. Heat gun works even better than a quick MEK wipe. Press them together hard. Better yet use some kind of roller to keep rolling the materials together for a minute or so after you stick them together. Target temp is 140-160F ish. So just hot enough to be hot to the touch. Dont let it get much hotter than that. This is labor intensive and between prep time and glue time I'd estimate 10 hours or more. Mostly spent removing the old glue.. Good Luck!
Old 18 May 2019, 02:32   #4

Town: Jacksonville
Make: Avon
Engine: OB 15hp
Thank you

95gstnj,

Thank you for your reply. I have the hull and the rubbing strake pretty much cleaned up, so I'm ready to go as soon as I have time and weather. I have a fresh can of Hypalon adhesive. Being able to re-activate the adhesive with heat makes all the difference.

I will report on the results. Hopefully, the job will be done.

Robin.