Old 25 January 2013, 02:11   #11

Length: 3m +
Thanks for all the advices, well, I have a last question, I want to buy 5kg steel anchor, but don’t know how long the chain and rope should be. Looking for suggestions, thank you for your patience.

Old 25 January 2013, 02:44   #12

Thanks for all the advices, well, I have a last question, I want to buy 5kg steel anchor, but don’t know how long the chain and rope should be. Looking for suggestions, thank you for your patience.

Old 25 January 2013, 04:13   #13

Chain shoud be about 5m, but this is "flexible"

Anchor warp needs to be a minimum of 3 times the maximum depth you intend to anchor.

As said earlier, octaplait is best because it doesn't unwind, but it is expensive. I always just use 3 ply and replace occasionally. Helps if you put a swivel shackle between warp and chain.

I also endorse the need to "seize" (wire) all shackles, if they can come undone, they will!
Old 25 January 2013, 12:10   #14

Boat name: Uh...a kayak?
Length: 4m +
I too would say 5m of chain, but no less than 4m. In your other thread the guy said 3ft and that is not close to enough chain, even for a lake.

90m of rope should be enough but it depends on where you plan to anchor. I use 3 strand and it has enough stretch to be gentle on the anchor set, so it doesn't tear loose.

Buy a thimble eye also and install it in one or both ends of the rope. You can google "eye splice" for lots of info.

Old 25 January 2013, 12:55   #15

It may also help to know what the chain is meant to do.

The anchor (any anchor) works best when it lies horizontal on the sea floor. The chain provides a heavy connection which provides a "buffer" between the anchor and the warp, which, being rope, tends to rise straight off the sea bed. It is important to have sufficient chain and warp to allow the anchor to lie flat on the sea bed. That's why you need several metres of chain and 3 times as much warp (rope) as the depth you intend to anchor.

Oh, and buy a book on splicing and rope work, it is not difficult and whiles away the time until the next boat trip.

Ian Wilson
Old 29 January 2013, 01:59   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
I too would say 5m of chain, but no less than 4m. In your other thread the guy said 3ft and that is not close to enough chain, even for a lake.

90m of rope should be enough but it depends on where you plan to anchor. I use 3 strand and it has enough stretch to be gentle on the anchor set, so it doesn't tear loose.

Buy a thimble eye also and install it in one or both ends of the rope. You can google "eye splice" for lots of info.

thanks, it's very useful, and i google the eye splice, it's easy to be learned by this website Eye Splice | How to tie the Eye Splice | Splicing Knots.
Old 29 January 2013, 02:26   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.i.wilson View Post
It may also help to know what the chain is meant to do.

The anchor (any anchor) works best when it lies horizontal on the sea floor. The chain provides a heavy connection which provides a "buffer" between the anchor and the warp, which, being rope, tends to rise straight off the sea bed. It is important to have sufficient chain and warp to allow the anchor to lie flat on the sea bed. That's why you need several metres of chain and 3 times as much warp (rope) as the depth you intend to anchor.

Oh, and buy a book on splicing and rope work, it is not difficult and whiles away the time until the next boat trip.

Ian Wilson
thanks Ian, i bought a book from local dealer, i'm studying hard now.