Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 07 August 2011, 13:55   #1

Town: London
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp
How often/How many times do you use your RIB/Boat?

Just had a chat to a friend of mine who is thinking of buying his first rib, but worried that he may not be using it that often. Considering all costs associated with a rib/boat ownership, I was also thinking that how many times do you really have to use it to say "I need a RIB/Boat as I use it quite often".

So question for you guys,

1) How many times do you use your RIB?

2) Have you noticed any change in your usage compared to the first season when you first bought the rib?
Old 07 August 2011, 14:05   #2

Town: London
Boat name: Speedo
Length: 6m +
It is always the case, you buy the rib, use it often, then you get bored!

I have only used mine twice since last September, a bit of a shame really.
Old 07 August 2011, 14:14   #3

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rib_Humber View Post
It is always the case, you buy the rib, use it often, then you get bored!

I have only used mine twice since last September, a bit of a shame really.
Get bored Try coarse fishing.
Old 07 August 2011, 15:10   #4

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
[QUOTE=Vandad;414289]Just had a chat to a friend of mine who is thinking of buying his first rib, but worried that he may not be using it that often. Considering all costs associated with a rib/boat ownership, I was also thinking that how many times do you really have to use it to say "I need a RIB/Boat as I use it quite often". Never! Don't confuse "need" with "want". If you bought any boat purely on sensible economic grounds, well...........

1) How many times do you use your RIB? Not as often as I would like, due to work, weather & tides

2) Have you noticed any change in your usage compared to the first season when you first bought the rib?Can't remember that far back

If he has doubts, your mate has answered his own question.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 August 2011, 17:01   #5

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
What Mr Pikey said ^^^

Few people can honestly say they "need" a RIB except for the Navy, ILB's and maybe sailing clubs for a rescue boat. Buy it because you want it and never try and impose any rational thought on the process

First season is always the busiest and the back end of my first summer was every weekend and quite a few evenings as I had the first RIB on a pontoon for a while - how often you use it after that depends on whether it is afloat or ashore, how long it takes to launch, weather, work, how much money you want to pour into the fuel tank, what the rest of the family say about going out vs. other arrangements they might prefer to make for the weekend and probably quite a few other variables. Personally I like to use mine at least once a month all year round to keep it happy, and after that it comes down to the other factors above.Sometimes if I have time and the weather is OK I'll use it a couple of weekends on the trot but more usually every second or third weekend during the summer. Most of the other boats in what passes for a marina in our part of the world go out much less than I do.

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 August 2011, 19:34   #6

Town: Northampton
Make: RibTec
Engine: Outbaord mariner 75
Used to use is all the time every weekend. when it was new it was every other weekend down to the coast diving, skiing and ringoing then for a few years could not get down so didnt use it much. Moved to the coast and used it every free weekend. now its been refurbed I am back in the midlands and dont get time to use it was much as I would like .

2) Have you noticed any change in your usage compared to the first season when you first bought the rib?yep defo. I was out all the time mainly diving. now its just used for a quick whizz arround and the odd week away with the kids.
Old 07 August 2011, 20:40   #7
dnv

Town: Hamburg
Boat name: Der Delphin
Make: Parker
Engine: Inboard Diesel 120HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandad

2) Have you noticed any change in your usage compared to the first season when you first bought the rib?
1) 110hours this year sofar. 160hours sice last year's August, layed off from end of November to mid March (snow & ice).

2) more use

Boat is on a pontoon, high and dry at low tide

Jan

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-795542616.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	61461  
Old 07 August 2011, 21:42   #8

Town: Stonehaven
Make: Avon Sea Rider 5.4
Engine: 50Hp Mercury 4' EFI
Dnv that picture is sweet.

I now live 800yards from a harbour so use mine weekly, when I had to travel 2 hours the nearest water there was alot more prep and hassle involved so boat was used monthly if I was lucky. Circumstances depending
Old 07 August 2011, 21:52   #9

Town: Anglesey
Boat name: Trixie
Make: Scorpion 8.5m
Engine: 300hp Suzuki
1) Nearly every weekend...

2) and use it more and more... the secret is to have lots of hobby's that supports its use... I dive from it, fish from it, pull wakeboards, pull a parasail, go around anglesey etc... other times we just drive to somewhere flat, have a sarnie & a can , then drive back.... I've owned a RIB for 17 years and the novelty has never worn off... but a lot of that comes to where its moored. I'm in anglesey, you can never get bored of that coast line !
Old 07 August 2011, 22:01   #10

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I live 150mls+ from any interesting coast but I don't care how little our boats get out related to their cost as it's always worth it. My previous 4m planing GRP boat on a trailer only ever went out for 8-14 days on our Scottish hols. But to hire a similat boat was £100+ a day or £500 a week... and that's if you could find one.

So still worked out cheaper to keep ours even for so few days a year.

Well that's what I told the Mrs.
Old 07 August 2011, 22:08   #11

Boat name: llyn raider
Make: xs
Length: 7m +
Engine: 1 200hp merc
as above. if you have a rib "just for cruising" you might cut down your usage after time but i use it as a safety boat, to fish from etc so we use it alot.
Old 07 August 2011, 22:16   #12

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
Good questions!

1. Not that often nowadays. I think I've only been out about half a dozen times this year, although the wx has been fairly lousy.

2. I plan trips far more than I used to and hardly ever do any 'aimless' ribbing except to take the boat around the bay to keep the batteries charged and the engine ticking over.
Old 07 August 2011, 22:20   #13

Town: Herne Bay
Boat name: Red May
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp Honda 4 Stroke
MMSI: Is quite long
Send a message via Skype™ to actions
1. Use it as much as possible. For example 4 times this last week due to perfect shifts for tide times and weather. Its easy for me though, 3 seconds from the slipway and five minutes to launch it. Got it all down to a fine art.

2. More if i'm honest as this rib is bigger than my last so can handle the chop a little more. Would love a bigger rib, but would need a bigger garage.

Honestly, as the others said this is a want item not a need item.

My only concern is the word "CHILDREN" keeps getting mentioned. Less rib time possible on the horizon, unless anyone knows of any rib kid seats
Old 07 August 2011, 22:46   #14

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
For me it's a want item, I love ribbing, I love the camaraderie, I love the challenge of learning new skills, and meeting and making new friends, so whether I'm out 3,4,10 times a year it doesn't matter as long as I have got a rib to launch as and when I can. I have met a few like minded and good people from this website and owning a rib has opened all these doors for me and the mrs she's paid half (joint account) so I think it's money well spent for me /us. I guess it's becoming a way of life . Long live ribbing.
Old 07 August 2011, 23:42   #15

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Seabadger 2
Make: Delta / Ribcraft 6.8
Engine: Various
MMSI: -
Used mine about 24 days so far this year and covered over 400 miles on short trips out to dive sites and fishing sites since April. The fuel bill obviously adds up after a while but I've mentally offest that with some incredible dives and memorable fishing trips that would never be possible on a charter boat even if one was available at split second notice when I suddlenly find the days work has finished and I'm home at 2pm :-)

Plus my freezer is well stocked with Scallops, Lobsters, Mackerel, Bass, Bream, Plaice --- you name it plus we've had some pretty awesome seafood barbeques which would have cost a small fortune if the fish was sourced from a quality fishmonger :-)

My only regret is not buying a slightly larger rib, getting it coded and using it for work as well.
Old 08 August 2011, 07:42   #16

I use mine nearly every weekend and in addition if the weather is nice during the week then at least once in the week in late afternoon / early evening. With fuel prices what they are if spent over £3K on fuel alone since January 1st. I never get bored of it, use it to get some fresh air on the sea very relaxing.
Old 08 August 2011, 08:52   #17

Town: Poole
Boat name: Half Cut
Make: Cobra 8.6
Engine: Verado 275
MMSI: 235104619
Use it most weekends , both days if possible, happy on my own but with the boss and dog if they want to come. Occasional evenings. If I'm not using it my sons and their friends are! (Provided I put the fuel in) Season from about April to November.

I don't use my RIB as much as Boris, since I see him every time I'm out!
Old 08 August 2011, 12:52   #18

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Engine: 225 Optimax
RIBase
I guess it depends on your individual circumstances as to how often you get to use your Rib. I sure everyone would use it more if they could? Some of us are lucky and live by the sea and have a Rib available in the water anytime - so a spur of the moment decision to nip over to The Island for supper is an easy option.

Many customers of The Dry stack only use their boats ocassionally (maybe just 4-5 times a year) as they live in London or further afield. Some locals go out on a regular basis (to go sailing or act as safety boat).

Either way, I'm sure we would all agree that a good day out on the water is "priceless"!
Old 09 August 2011, 07:02   #19

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
When I first got a rib I used it practically every week but having upgraded to a larger boat my ribbing is now aimed at longer trips with overnight stays etc. You get far more out of it this way. Also fuel is far too costly now to just go out for a 2 hour aimless blast!

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2011, 14:19   #20
RIBnet supporter

Town: Belfast
Boat name: Cait
Make: Humber
Engine: 90hp Opti
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandad View Post

1) As often as work, weather, tides and family circumstances allow it. Which I am glad to say is quite often! For the past four weeks it has been on the water for at least three days a week.

2) Certainly! I use it much more often now. Also I use it for longer trips - would think nothing now of heading out to Tory island for a pint and a walk these evenings.