Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier View Post
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier

Flares remain a fundamental emergency safety item

Yes they are! Orange smoke will give any assisting craft - sea / air visual indication of where exactly you are, wind speed direction etc..... that electronic means will not, and flares / smoke can be been SEEN unlike electronic devices that mean someone watching a screen, trusting that all craft are fully electronically upto date and will spend the money so to be.

Yes DSC and EPIRBS have their place and are important, but are not universal. Flares gve the opportunity for those without highly expensive monitoring equipment to actually see a problem. As an inshore / coastal ribber I would never consider giving up carrying flares.
Even the CG have suggested that this subject warrants debate. Personally given the cost of flares I am leaning towards the "technical solutions" and suspect that there are a lot of boats out there without any. Unfortunately I'd feel guilty if I didn't have any flares with me.
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 September 2010, 17:20   #12
Town: Southampton
Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: Valiant 750 & XS600
Length: 7m +
Engine: 150, 115 HP
MMSI: Various
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier View Post
...Orange smoke will give any assisting craft - sea / air visual indication of where exactly you are, wind speed direction etc..... that electronic means will not,
There are plenty of electronic devices that will give you this information, they will even do it in the dark and in restricted vis, something the old orange flare you mention is no so effective with. These devices do not put the users at risk, they are not a burden to the tax payer when they expire after 3 yrs and they last a lot longer than the 60 secs to 3 mins you get out of the orange flare.

I think when the CEO of the MCA is publically asking the question "Do we still need to carry flares?" We should all be asking the same question.

I belive it will be some time before we see the flare properly replaced but let's be honest the technology is there to provide something much better, safer and more effective, it just needs to be embraced.

web -
email -
tel - 02380 231122
Doug Stormforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 September 2010, 13:27   #13
Town: Weymouth
Length: no boat
what about a service exchange system similar to things like alternators from car engines. in other words pay slightly more first time then on renewal date if you return them you get them cheaper.. and the manufacturer could then recycle the raw materials where possible and thus reducing overall waste
I went alongside the carrier, I survived and didnt even get shot at!!!
hobbit555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 September 2010, 12:55   #14
Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
I've yet to see anything electronic that gives visual coverage and an easily visible trail back to point of origin as smoke, having used lots of in in the military and working for a pyro company.

I have a feeling the MCA is driven as much by its convenenince, cost and wanting to track everything remotely. When the chief of an agency starts a debate they usually have the ending they want already defined!

lakelandterrier is offline   Reply With Quote